Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Fibre Upgrade For Dudley Exchange with code CMDD

This is a discussion on No Fibre Upgrade For Dudley Exchange with code CMDD within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; here is a reply i have from the blackcountry lep about my exchange upgrade. I have spoken to my contact ...

OnePiece1962 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

No Fibre Upgrade For Dudley Exchange with code CMDD

here is a reply i have from the blackcountry lep about my exchange upgrade.

I have spoken to my contact at BT. Unfortunately the Dudley exchange is not considered to be economically viable for inclusion in the commercial fibre broadband roll out programme, therefore its enablement will be subject to resources from BDUK. Black Country consortium is co-ordinating the delivery of BDUK programme, however are currently seeking match funding before they can proceed. I am afraid I’m unable to give you any detail on a timescale as am not involved in this work. However, BDUK can only fund rollouts in areas where Virgin Media has not installed a network as public funds cannot be used to overbuild another network.

Heather

Heather Clark (Economics)
      Manager Strategic Proj/funding, Education & Enterprise
      Tel. Office:
      Tel. Mobile:

E-mail: Heather.Clark2 at wolverhampton.gov.uk
      Wolverhampton City Council

so if you are connected to the dudley exchange in the west midlands like me you will never get skyfibre.

Last edited by Scubbie; 25-04-14 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Vroken email address to reduce spam

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OnePiece1962 For This Useful Post:

DoomWolf (20-08-14)

3. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: No Fibre Upgrade For Dudley Exchange with code CMDD

That's strange as it is quite a big exchange! It serves 27000 residential properties! Our exchange has 19000 properties and we have had BT fibre in for 18 months now and Virgin for years! But if BT isn't going to install fibre it doesn't mean that someone else won't, there was a post the day saying that Sky are going into partnership with Talk Talk to build there own fibre networks in some areas which will be completely independent from BT, a bit like Virgin I guess. But it is early days on that one as it's only just been agreed I think.

OnePiece1962 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

yes i dont understand it completly myself.the exchange is unbundled so maybe thats why to a point ... might explain the commercially unviable... plus its location is opposite the royal mail main sorting office so once again i find it puzzling... plus the bduk reply aswell.... since they allow overlay elsewhere then why not dudley west midlands exchange ... the more i look into it the more i find it strange. i will look for that sky/talk talk partnership post and see if if they can do my area .

Update: after digging around the partnership is a 3 way between sky/talktalk/cityfibre. this is happening in york with 1Gbps possible download speed.
      Last edited by OnePiece1962; 24-04-14 at 11:49 AM.

DoomWolf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley, West Midlands (CMDD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm also connected to the Dudley exchange with a roughly 5.5km line giving me around a 5 Mbit connection speed. The road I live on (actually in Tividale, Oldbury, so in the Sandwell Council area), along with other roads built around 12 years ago, also has no provision for Virgin cable. The roads around us have Virgin but they didn't lay cable to newly built properties. I've twice asked Virgin if they will extend their network to us (after they made a big deal about filling in gaps in their area coverage) and twice they've said no.

That leaves me in an 'NGA White' area, i.e. one with no current provision of superfast (fibre) broadband by any means.

I'd love to know how BT determine what makes an exchange economically viable. Dudley is the largest exchange in the country without fibre provision. Around us, only Dudley, Blackheath and West Bromwich exchanges aren't enabled, yet Cradely Heath, Halesowen, Stourbridge, Brierley Hill, Tipton, Wednesbury, Oldbury and Bilston all have fibre provision and are all well covered by Virgin Media. The cynic in me would say that BT have decided not to spend their own money on upgrading those exchanges when they can get state money to pay them to do the same work.

I see in the Express & Star today that the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership have secured 7.5m of funding under the BDUK scheme:
      Multi-million pound scheme to connect Black Country to high-speed internet Express & Star

The question is, what will it mean for the chance of those us in no-fibre areas to finally get access to superfast broadband? BDUK intervention is allowed down to the level of individual properties that don't have any superfast broadband provision and isn't restricted just because Virgin is available to others in an area served by a BT exchange. There was an interesting discussion on Thinkbroadband at Who to ask regarding an exchange being enabled? :: Fibre Broadband :: think broadband