Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Appalling wait times for customer services 1h45mins+

This is a discussion on Appalling wait times for customer services 1h45mins+ within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had to call sky fibre customer services recently to deal with a broadband issue. I called on Sunday evening ...

reendom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Appalling wait times for customer services 1h45mins+

I had to call sky fibre customer services recently to deal with a broadband issue. I called on Sunday evening and was on hold for 1h45mins and gave up. I then tried on Monday evening and was on hold again for 1h40mins before the call was answered.

The customer services agent was very professional and dealt with my issue but she did say it was typical to be on hold for this length of time as the lines are busy during the evenings and weekends.

Surely a company the size of Sky cannot have such appalling response times and is a disgrace. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere once my contract is up if there is no improvement in response times

Am I asking for too much for my call to be answered within 20mins?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Appalling wait times for customer services 1h45mins+

Personally I think you're being very generous if you're happy with 20 minutes - a call waiting time of more than 2 minutes would be considered poor in many call centres. I've recently moved over form O2 and on the (rare) occasions I needed to call them it was always answered by an agent within a few rings.

Sky is a very large operation with a very large number of customers who contact them far more often than for many businesses/industries. This amounts to a staggering number of calls a day and as you have found/been told, the calls aren't spread evenly through the day. This means that if Sky were to resource with enough agents to cover the busy periods, they would need a huge increase in the number of agent positions (phone, desk, computer etc) and of course, in the number of agents too. The latter they could deal with through taking on more short time/part time workers, split shifts and the like but this is a nightmare to manage and not great for the staff. If they did do that then they would have a huge number of empty desks in the quiet periods which is very inefficient and costly.

I'm not defending Sky just trying to explain the challenges. But they clearly need to do more, especially reducing the number of calls customers make by reducing problems/errors and increasing customer self service.

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Personally every time I've had to ring them I've been dealt with within 15-20 mins.

I recently had to ring Npower now 1hr 10 mins thats a joke and to be told they won't speak to me because the account was in my wifes name.

Any one else care to note there waiting times to see if we can get a average time.

If it aint broke take it apart, it soon will be.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Appalling wait times for customer services 1h45mins+

Don't talk to me about power companies!! I had reason to contact Scottish Power recently for my Mum and could get no response from them "PERIOD!" For over third weeks despite spending hours on hold on the phone and sending emails!!
      Sorry about that rant! But I always take any opportunity to slat them and let others know how pants they are.

As for Sky I have always found them pretty good, never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes, even a call I made a couple of weeks back was connected quickly. Also I'm sure I read that after a certain time of day the UK call centres close and calls are diverted abroad. If true I don't know what times or if it applies to weekends as well.
      Sounds like I'm making excuses for them, but can only go by my own experiences.