Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Short RJ11(ADSL cables)from VDSL Modem or Sky Hub SR102 to master socket

This is a discussion on Short RJ11(ADSL cables)from VDSL Modem or Sky Hub SR102 to master socket within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have just done a test to see if using a short(.5mtr) ADSL (RJ11 to rj11)cable from the filtered master socket ...

musicman53 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch, Bristol and Chepstow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exclamation Short RJ11(ADSL cables)from VDSL Modem or Sky Hub SR102 to master socket

Have just done a test to see if using a short(.5mtr) ADSL(RJ11 to rj11)cable from the filtered master socket to VDSL modem or Sky hub SR102 makes any difference than if using a 1mtr or 2mtr adsl(rj11 to rj11)cable.
      To be honest I could see no difference in speed.

2. Advertisement
      winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Did you expect to see a difference.
      I think before any losses occur you would have to increase lenght by 100s of meters.

If it aint broke take it apart, it soon will be.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Re: Short RJ11(ADSL cables)from VDSL Modem or Sky Hub SR102 to master socket

Quote Originally Posted by musicman53 View Post
      Glad to hear it. Hopefully anyone reading this thread won't be tempted to waste money on new cables that make no difference.

I'm not sure what the theoretical maximum length of an ADSL(rj11) cable is but considering the length of a typical drop cable outside the home, it's likely to be fairly long.

What probably matters more is the cable position/orientation in an unshielded cable like a rj11. Apart from the benefit of neatness, a short cable avoids the need to be coiled - coiled unshielded cables can induce unwanted effects. Similarly, an unshielded cable run close to or alongside other cables, particularly power cables, may also pick up unwanted noise.

So, all things being equal, the shorter the better, but properly run and positioned longer cable is likely to be fine too. As your test shows

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Glad to hear it. Hopefully anyone reading this thread won't be tempted to waste money on new cables that make no difference.

I'm not sure what the theoretical maximum length of an ADSL(rj11) cable is but considering the length of a typical drop cable outside the home, it's likely to be fairly long.

What probably matters more is the cable position/orientation in an unshielded cable like a rj11. Apart from the benefit of neatness, a short cable avoids the need to be coiled - coiled unshielded cables can induce unwanted effects. Similarly, an unshielded cable run close to or alongside other cables, particularly power cables, may also pick up unwanted noise.

So, all things being equal, the shorter the better, but properly run and positioned longer cable is likely to be fine too. As your test shows
      I keep cordless phone and any power cables(to pc and anything else)as far away from the master socket that is about two feet from the SR102.
      The rj11 is up out of the way from all other cables.
      The phone line I am on runs across the road from pole to the house into bt junction box inside front door, then up the stairs to master socket(filtered)in the room where my SR102 is(computer room).
      BT owned phone line runs from pole to cabinet at the end of my street(no more than 20 yards).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Just an observation, but you are on Sky Fibre Unlimited. This is capped at 40mb. If you are getting this speed before and after the change in your cable then no worries.

However, for anyone who has Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro, then this experiment might not have the same result. The flat cable supplied with the router isn't necessarily the best and many are making their own leads with Cat 5e cable, which can be much better for longer distances.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicman53 View Post
      Have just done a test to see if using a short(.5mtr) ADSL(RJ11 to rj11)cable from the filtered master socket to VDSL modem or Sky hub SR102 makes any difference than if using a 1mtr or 2mtr adsl(rj11 to rj11)cable.
      What does work is a fully screened twisted pair RJ11 cable. I gained 5Mbps by replacing the flat cable with a 2m screened one when I first got SFPU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      What does work is a fully screened twisted pair RJ11 cable. I gained 5Mbps by replacing the flat cable with a 2m screened one when I first got SFPU.
      Tried that....does not make any difference to my connection at all.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think you are all missing the point, EVERY connection is different. The fact is we have had customers swap their flat 3m cable for a shorter CAT5 one & seen a 1mb difference. Much like some see no difference with a filtered faceplate while others see a 3-4mb improvement.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Thanks
      I think the best lesson here is keep all cables as short as possible. Use good quality cable and route cables away from interference as much as possible and plug into the master socket will give you the best you can hope for.

There are too many variable's than can have a influence on speeds obtained from time of day to what it is your downloading.

If it aint broke take it apart, it soon will be.