Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything?

This is a discussion on VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT Yes, they are backwards compatible. If you are going to have an extension for vDSL this ...

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Yes, they are backwards compatible. If you are going to have an extension for vDSL this needs to be dedicated, ie, nothing else daisy chaining off it. Just run one CAT5e cable from the vDSL plate to an RJ11 socket where you want the router. Ideally it should be at the master socket & run an Ethernet cable from there to a network switch...

Any other extensions for phones Sky boxes etc run off the filtered NTE5 lower front plate, you can daisy chain those as they will have zero affect on the DSL signal.
      o.K. Thanks, good to know it's backwards compatible. The set up you described is exactly what I'll do, disconnecting any other extensions etc that I have in the circuit that really are not needed.

My vDSL line from the mater socket (cat5e) will be approximately 8 meters long, terminated with an Rg11 socket so the BTO modem can be plugged straight into that. The Router will then be attached to that via an Ethernet lead.

Is there something different about the data signal between the master socket and the modem, compared to a normal network TCP/IP signal, that makes it more susceptible to interference or something?

I keep reading (on the net) that the modem should be as close to the master socket as possible, but I'd much prefer to have it up stairs in my computer room. Given that the signal has already travelled a good distance from the FTTC cabinet, say for example 100 meters, why would it make much of a difference if there is another say 8 meters or so of cable from the master socket to where the modem is located?

Why is it apparently advantageous to have the modem close to the Master socket, and then run an Ethernet cable between the router and the modem when the cable is exactly the same stuff, with the same properties?

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Boy66 View Post
      Is there something different about the data signal between the master socket and the modem, compared to a normal network TCP/IP signal, that makes it more susceptible to interference or something?
      Yes, different frequencies & different technology.

I keep reading (on the net) that the modem should be as close to the master socket as possible, but I'd much prefer to have it up stairs in my computer room. Given that the signal has already travelled a good distance from the FTTC cabinet, say for example 100 meters, why would it make much of a difference if there is another say 8 meters or so of cable from the master socket to where the modem is located?
      Why is it apparently advantageous to have the modem close to the Master socket, and then run an Ethernet cable between the router and the modem when the cable is exactly the same stuff, with the same properties?
      Because in your home there are all kinds of equipment that give out RFI that can degrade the signal. The cable may be the same but the signal you are sending down it is not. Ethernet can be run over a 90M horizontal run with zero performance drop off.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The cables may be similar but the signal being sent down them is very different. I don't know enough about the subject to write a treatise, but suffice to say the telephone signal, is a lot more susceptible to interference than ethernet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

O.K. thanks again for the info guys,

If RFI is ther main cause of signal degrigation to the vDSL signal, then that puts me in a bit of a quandary.

My drop cable enters my home only 6 inches from where my A.C. Mains cable enters the property. My consumer unit is mounted on the other side of the wall to where my master socket is located. I have cordless phones that I assume operate on the 2.4Ghz range. The base unit for the phones is located about 1 foot above the master socket. So a good source of RFI there, I would think?

The Cat5e cables I have coming from the Master socket run in a plastic trunking which has been wrapped with Aluminuim foil on the top and sides, I couldn't wrap foil behind the trunking after it had been mounted. This trunking runs around my consumer unit, keeping a good 12 inches away it at all times. It then exits throught the ceiling & up into the next room.

I was unable to avoid the fact that the power cable for the mains power in the room in the loft also exits the ceiling only 6 inches from where the cat5e cable does. From the room above, my computer room, the cat5e cable takes a 90* turn and runs along my skirting board, also in plastic trunking This trunking is not shielded. The cable for the loft runs straigt up the wall in the corner of the room and exits in the loft area. My computer room has 3 computers in it, and as you might expect, a cordless phone handset, and a laser printer and network switch, speakers etc.

So, Would I be better getting the modem installed down stairs closer to the consumer unit, base station for phone, but also master socket, Or would it be better placed in my computer room where there is arguably less of a possiblity of RFI from the computers and handset in the room?

Is it simply a case of keeping the cable run from the vDSL faeplate to the modem as short as possible? I could make up a shielded twisted pair, terminated with RJ11's to go from the face plate to the modem to further reduce the chances of interference?

Maybe I could ask the engineer to move my drop cable and master socket to a more isolated location? I can't see them doing that for me though.

Sorry to keep going on about this, I guess I'm being a pain in the **se, but I'm just not sure what would be best, due to my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!!!
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 04-03-14 at 07:25 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think if I were you I would place the modem/router next to the master socket and fit an ethernet cable to take the signal to your PC room. If necessary you could replace the switch you have there with a wireless access point, an old wireless router would do, preferably one with wireless N.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think if I were you I would place the modem/router next to the master socket and fit an ethernet cable to take the signal to your PC room. If necessary you could replace the switch you have there with a wireless access point, an old wireless router would do, preferably one with wireless N.
      Thanks Isitme.

Yeah, sound like the best idea. I'll see If I can find another couple of RJ45 faceplaces and a socket box. I'll fit a new RJ45 socket and box right above or beside the master socket and then run the cat5e cable from my PC room to that new socket. I'll need to replace the modular RJ11 socket in the PC room with a RJ45 socket, at least that will give me some more options.

If needs be, I can either connect the modem beside the master socket and the HH5 up stairs, connected by Ethernet lead, or put both the modem and the HH5 in the PC room, by just plugging RJ11 terminated leads into the RJ45 socket up stairs, and beside the master socket down stairs. Then I can try it out both ways and see if I can find any drop in speed with either method.

I think I need to make both options available in case the BTO engineer does not install a BTO modem, and chooses to use the built in vDSL modem in the HH5 instead.

What do you think?

Cheers!!

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I can't see them installing a separate modem if you have a HH5 as that would defeat the object of it! Unless they are still installing modems where it makes more sense to have a data extension. But that would require common sense!!!!!!.......
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

I can't see them installing a separate modem if you have a HH5 as that would defeat the object of it! Unless they are still installing modems where it makes more sense to have a data extension. But that would require common sense!!!!!!.......
      I've had a look on the BT infinity forums, and some new customes have stated that BTO did install an aditional modem, along with the HH5.

I also had a look through the BT infinity help pages, and that gives conflicting advice.

Preparing for an engineer installation of BT Infinity | Help | BT.com Help

and

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fat...399/redirect/1

I've ordered the Infinity 2 service, so should get an enginner install.

BT Infinity installation (maximum speed of up to 80Mb) | Help | BT.com Help

Who said that BT had started using common sense

EDIT:- Been doing a bit more digging. It seems that BTO stopped supplying the HH5 with an additional modem on the 31st of December. If I'm lucky, the engineer might be able to supply me with one, if not I can always get a HG612 from fleabay.
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 05-03-14 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Yes, they are backwards compatible. If you are going to have an extension for vDSL this needs to be dedicated, ie, nothing else daisy chaining off it. Just run one CAT5e cable from the vDSL plate to an RJ11 socket where you want the router. Ideally it should be at the master socket & run an Ethernet cable from there to a network switch...

Any other extensions for phones Sky boxes etc run off the filtered NTE5 lower front plate, you can daisy chain those as they will have zero affect on the DSL signal.
      O.K. thanks again!!

My new mkII vDSL faceplate has arrived, as have the gel crimps I've ordered. For my aDSL line to the router, I currently have it terminated using the blue pair. As I'm sure you know, the blue pair has a higher twist rate, compared to say the brown twisted pair, so I guess the brown pair must be slightly shorter over the same length of cable.

Since I'm rewiring anyway, do you think there would be any advantage in using the brown twisted pair, rather than the blue pair as that would reduce the over all length of the run from the 2 IDC terminals on the vDSL faceplate to my router. Only a little bit, but still.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123