Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My Experience With Switching To Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on My Experience With Switching To Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Thought i would share my experience with getting fibre. I know there is a lot of bad reports on ...

pr1vatepiles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My Experience With Switching To Sky Fibre

Hello,

Thought i would share my experience with getting fibre. I know there is a lot of bad reports on here and that those who do have success don't really shout about it. Hopefully this may be of use to future people switching to sky.

Ordered Fibre on 05/02/14 via the phone. Fairly straight forward even if i wasn't offered an engineer to visit. Anyhow, equipment arrived within a couple of days. Annoyingly, the label that should have been on top with my date was missing. Quick called gave me an activation date of today (Feb 20th).

The days have dragged by. I did all i can, replaced the NTE5 faceplate for a new one i had at work. Removed the extensions that were connected to the faceplate as they are no longer in use and could have caused interference.

The adsl speed when i left this morning was 6mb download and a 0.86 upload. Fairly poor to say router was connected at 16. But lets not get bogged down by that.

Came home around an hour ago and very happy to say the fibre has gone live with not a single problem i can see. As i had been using the new black router for the adsl i thought best to give it a reset and let it connect fresh to fibre.

Router status shows:

Connection Speed 39998 kbps 9995 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 18.9 dB 20.20 dB

Not to sure on what the line attenuation and noise margin figures are like but the connection speed is looking good.

Did a speed test plugged directly into the router and i'm getting 36.1 Mb/s download and 9.53 Mb/s upload. Not bad to say it's prob only been up for a matter of hours. I know it can change during first 10 days so we will see where we go from here. But i'm currently very happy. Wifi is pulling in 24Mb/s in living room, loft getting 9Mb/s (not bad i thought), going to test the powerline adapters that are up there in a bit. All on all, very happy!

2. Advertisement
      winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I orderd fibre on the 20/1/14 told sky I wanted a deal or I would consider going to bt. The guy said I can give you 12 months half price line rental making fibre an extra 5 a mth so I said lets go for it.

I allready had the sr102 router because I tryed to get the wifi booster when that was on offer. but it said I needed to upgrade my router first. So got a new router from sky free. Sadly by the time my router came and having to wait 7 days before applying they had sold out.

My fibre day was 30/1/14 so during the 10 day wait I replaced my faceplate with a vdsl one.
      Anyhow on the 30th I came home from work all excited to be boldly let down as I was still on adsl. After a phone call to sky I was told the engineer had reported a problem so the work was not carried out and would have to wait untill the 14/2/14 for thw next appointment. Not a happy bunny but my internet was still working so no great loss.

I eagerly awaited the next 2 weeks. On the 14th I bounded home like mo farrah going for gold in the Olympics.
      But wham the feeling of a kid who's just dropped his ice cream soon set in when my stats still said 8 meg.

Another phone call to sky and the guy said that the engineer had reported a fault again so I expressed my frustration and demanded the reason. I was told someone from above would be calling me within 24hrs to ease my pain.

The next day a guy from sky (nice Scottish fella) called and said that the enginer had a problem with the cabinet and he was not qualified to complete the work so a more experienced bto engineer was needed and was promised it would be done the next day.

The next day soon came round and home from work I came with hesitation as I punched the routers ip address into my phone. And there it was in full glory sayin 39998 and 9999 for the upload. By this time I was smilling like ive just found a pound under the settee.

A speed test revealed 37.5 meg down ant 10.1 up very happy.

In all of the setup problems sky were very helpfull and I thank them for that.

If it aint broke take it apart, it soon will be.

Thanks

Re: My Experience With Switching To Sky Fibre

Just been testing wifi upstairs, only 8mb, hmm thats not good. Unplugged the sky wifi booster and suddenly getting 25Mb upstairs on wifi. Sodding booster, not going to use that anymore.

skooby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kirkcaldy
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You are right, its mainly negative views in forums. My own experience was that I ordered by phone late on friday 13th december. My router arrived a few days later so I plugged it in and used it for my huge 3mb adsl. As with others the install date was not on the box so a phone call confirmed 3rd january. Bear in mind that the 1st and 2nd of january are holidays in scotland so I wasnt expecting things to happen quickly on the 3rd. I woke up at 9am and logged in to the router to find I had a connection of 79987, it was like christmas again. Running a speed test on think broadband gives an average download of 75meg. The only negative part of the experience was that bto managed to screw my phone up which took a few days to sort out. Overall very happy with the whole process.

Skooby

cjm1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBAT Batley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box x2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skooby View Post
      You are right, its mainly negative views in forums. My own experience was that I ordered by phone late on friday 13th december. My router arrived a few days later so I plugged it in and used it for my huge 3mb adsl. As with others the install date was not on the box so a phone call confirmed 3rd january. Bear in mind that the 1st and 2nd of january are holidays in scotland so I wasnt expecting things to happen quickly on the 3rd. I woke up at 9am and logged in to the router to find I had a connection of 79987, it was like christmas again. Running a speed test on think broadband gives an average download of 75meg. The only negative part of the experience was that bto managed to screw my phone up which took a few days to sort out. Overall very happy with the whole process.

Skooby
      They did the same with me. Really good with the fibre but managed to put phone calls onto someone elses line and so we got other peoples calls for a week!!

Thanks

Well bad news, its gone bad . Router broken. Can't get it to connect. Lady on phone was helpful and did genuinely sound bad. Now got to wait for a replacement unless i can manage to sort out myself.

skooby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kirkcaldy
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pr1vatepiles View Post
      Well bad news, its gone bad . Router broken. Can't get it to connect. Lady on phone was helpful and did genuinely sound bad. Now got to wait for a replacement unless i can manage to sort out myself.
      I bought myself a spare sr102 from ebay for that very reason. I couldnt bear to have to wait on them sending me a new one.

Skooby

Thanks

Looking at possibly doing same thing. In my haste i ran to pc world and got what a router that i thought could do job. In my stupidity i bought a cable router that yes would do the job had i got a BT openreach modem they use to give out with the sr101 model.

At moment emailed a friend who works for BT to see if i can crack a deal. Need to read some threads find out what routers do work.