Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

WAN Mode ?

This is a discussion on WAN Mode ? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, can anyone tell me why my Fiber WAN mode is in "WANoE" instead of " MER ", I'm ...

xaudiox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

WAN Mode ?

Hi there, can anyone tell me why my Fiber WAN mode is in "WANoE" instead of "MER", I'm sure i was MER on ADSL
      Also, my fiber started at 34mb for 3 months and gradually dropped to 25mb, had an engineer come last month and went up to 32mb for 3 days then back to 25 again.
      Sky say my line is 35mb capable , bt ASDL checker says 25-35.
      Ive done a quality test and it all looked ok.
      Feel a bit peed off at the moment especially when my line held 30-35mb for quite a few months.
      (Wrexham exchange, 300 meters from cabinet)

Regards.

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: WAN Mode ?

Ok, I'm going to take a stab at this based on my networking background and what I can gather from google.

WANoE seems to be a term I've only seen in relation to sky boxes. I'm going on the assumption it stands for WAN Over Ethernet; indicating the WAN (internet) connection is coming in on the ethernet rather than the ADSL. MER is Mac Encapsulated Routing, it is a technology that I think can be best explained as related to your situation as an ADSL-only technology. It appears, from what I've been able to tell; that Sky Fibre uses VDSL to get from the cabinet to your house. The SR101 doesn't seem to have the VDSL modem built in like the SR102 does. I'm assuming you're still using the SR101; so you have the OpenReach modem installed as well.

I could be wrong, I'm on the other side of the ocean and have a fibre install that's drastically different. But I'm thinking it's WANoE as the data is coming from the OpenReach modem and not from the ADSL modem inside the SR101.

xaudiox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

That sounds about right, sr101 + Openreach here.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

have a quick read here Router Mode ADSL Only, WANOE Only or Auto

sky still uses MER to connect to its servers on its fibre services
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post

sky still uses MER to connect to its servers on its fibre services
      Right...but they're using VDSL to do it, which the SR101 doesn't support. So the OpenReach modem is what is doing the actual communication, it may be doing MER, but the router itself isnt. So the router being in WANoE seems right since you don't use MER over Ethernet.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
      FTTP Service: (speed upgrade to 75/75 as of 23/7/2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
      Right...but they're using VDSL to do it, which the SR101 doesn't support. So the OpenReach modem is what is doing the actual communication, it may be doing MER, but the router itself isnt. So the router being in WANoE seems right since you don't use MER over Ethernet.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
      actually the modem is just making the VDSL connection and then passing it onto the SR101. The SR101 is doing the MER. As such when a 3rd party router is used in its place it needs to be able to support option 60/61 or have 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT/Open-WRT) to enable the MER authentication to Sky's servers
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Maybe.

I'm going to be honest, MER is something that I don't fully understand as I don't think anyone actually used it over here. They talk about bridged connections vs routed and authenciation. I've never seen mention of MER over Ethernet; it is possible this is just a sophisticated MAC authentication scheme. I think it's largely the difference between having the DSLAM itself having the IP and you bridge your router with it and the DSL Modem itself having an IP and connectivity is routed through the DSL network. I never fully got in to the hardcore engineering...I was largely just a tech who could make the service work, understood how our system worked (which wasn't easy because we were running up to 4 different types of DSL), and was the guy they called when they had massive wiring issues (they called me "The Rat" because I could cram in tight places with a flastlight and pocket knife get just about any wiring mess working again). I was kept in the dark about the hardcore details on what exact standards we were using.

Of course, I'm still wrapping my head around VDSL service being branded as "fibre" over there when it's actually a hybrid FTTC service. The only time they're allowed to advertise a "fiber optic" service here is when the fibre terminates at the dwelling...then it enters the house over usually over coax or ethernet. They don't take too kindly here for a company running a hybrid fiber network to advertise it as a fibre network. A cable company tried and was met with stuff fines and lawsuits for false advertising.

Thanks

so true, virgin media have been calling their internet service 'fibre optic' for years when again its a hybrid of fibre and coax. the fibre stops at the 'node' and its coax from there to the house.

BT and some other companies do offer and true fibre optic service (FTTP/H) but its limited in availability. FTTC is just a stop gap to FTTP/H but it'll do, for now

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
      Good old Sky with their bizarre naming conventions. WANoE is totally meaningless really, it just means the router is connecting via the WAN port. It's got nothing to do with MER, PPPoE or any other type of protocol. If you look at the router stats it will show it's using MER.

Why they couldn't use EWAN like almost everyone else does is beyond me?
      LiamMc03 likes this.

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did wonder. Any idea what the "oE" part stands for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast