Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?

This is a discussion on SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had my fibre installed this morning. Before I left I set up port forwarding for ports 22 and ...

Hix
      Hix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lea Valley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?

Hi,

I had my fibre installed this morning. Before I left I set up port forwarding for ports 22 and 3389

3389 - RDP is set to the static IP of my windows server 192.168.0.3
      22 is set to the static IP of my Linux machine 192.168.0.4

However, when I checked the ports on Open Port Check Tool - Do your own website hosting or run an IP Camera etc! they were shown as closed.

I have tried to Putty into the linux box on port 22 to no avail and remote desktop doesn't work either

I am using noip.com as my dynamic dns server and it has worked flawlessly from 2009 it is updating every 5 minutes but the two ports I am interested in fail.

I can ping my address and get the packets recieved but if i ping my address:3389 or myaddress:22 nada comes back

I've set up the ports correctly and applied the changes in the Gui, it just seems that Sky are blocking it from outside of the router.

I've done searches but not found anythng conclusive other than sky won't support port forward queries. I'm not asking how to set it up just why it isn't working.

Anyone else in the same boat?
      Last edited by Hix; 19-11-13 at 10:50 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Hix
      Thanks

Re: SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?

seems ping doesn't work for specific ports. I've used nmap and it is showing only port 80 open, despite other ports being opened up in the config.

I've also noticed that I ballsed up the RDP port, but then again it's the SSH that is the big problem for me.
      I've set them all to one machine to make sure the problem isn't over multiple devices, still no joy :/

SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?-capture.jpg

Hix
      Thanks

It seems as though port 22 isn't actually closed but it "filtered" not sure where the filtering is in the trace though. I've openend it in the SR101. Could it be the BT OR modem? Or is it a Sky server side firewall?
      The firewall on the server is set to allow port 22 in and out as it has worked in the past and has not been changed.
      Anyone else had any similar issues with Sky?

SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?-portfilter.jpg

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,219 Times in 2,088 Posts

I don't use ports 21 and 22 as these are often scanned by bots on the Internet. Is it possible to change the port number on your Linux machine to something else and test that?

Also are these tests being performed from within your LAN or from outside? There is a known issue with several Sky routers which prevent you from using the WAN IP Address and port number from within the same LAN.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

klem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD 2Tb
      Thanks

I have the SR101 and have spent over three weeks trying to get it to Port forward.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

Sorry to shout but I am absolutely fed up with it. I followed the skyuser instructions (simple enough); I went through setup in Sky help Chat (advisor was pragmatic btw told me I could use my own router as if offering a clue); I walked through it on the telephone with a help technician (nothing new, same as I had tried many times and as simple as the Hub instructions and just the laptop wired to a LAN port) and when I told him it still didn't work he simply said "well it should, I've done it". I asked him if he would do an open port test but he wouldn't. When I asked him to just tell me if there is a known problem and I would live with it he said No but you only have to look at the forums to see there is.

I have tried putting my own router into an SR101 DMZ (just like the advice here on skyuser forums) but that doesn't help either.

I tried setting up my DIR655 with the name and password of the SR101 (used Wireshark etc) and connecting directly to the Openreach modem LAN1 but that doesn't work either. No internet connection. Nothing.

With just the SR101/wired Laptop I tried two Open Port testing websites and they both tell me ALL ports are closed including the standard open ports! Same when I tried the DMZ/own router.

I am trying to run a gameserver which I did without problems on Virginmedia. I have made sure the server is up, using the correct port, forwarded and 'listening' but it isn't 'seen' by anyone nor the port on Open Port test websites.

I am deeply regretting moving away from Virginmedia where all this worked without a problem putting my router onto a LAN port (not even DMZ) and just using the VM router as a modem with ports forwarded in the DIR655.

Do I have a duff modem or hub or is the sky setup just useless and doesn't work?

btw Hix, if I try to (cmd) ping with a port address it tells me its an invalid address and I find no command line option to include a port number. Of course, just pinging my bare ISP URL gets me 1ms returns. How are you doing it?

Thanks

I'll sincerely disagree with you: Port forwarding on the Sky Hub SR101 DOES WORK.

With a team of forum members, we put together the guide and I used the Sky Hub SR101 whilst taking part in the Beta Group extensively with a number of port forwards set up. The all worked just fine.

Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)

You may wish to set up some address reservations too:

IP Address Reservation

I do not use ports 20 & 21 for either of my NAS as a router I was using when I first set them up used these ports for it's USB port. I continue to use the other ports as they work just fine. I would suggest that the OP uses a group of ports in the range of 8000-9999.

One problem that I did have with my first NAS was being unable to access it outside my home network. This turned out to be related to the passive ports. The default setting was a very large range and restricting this resolved the issue. Knowing this I set up my second NAS without any issues.

Currently for a specific reason which has been reported, I have my SR101 set up with a DMZ setting to my Netgear WNDR3800.

What specific problem/s did you have with the Gameserver?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Hix
      Thanks

After numerous resets I've finally go the bas^%&d thing working. It really is a piece of work isn't it. Usual Sky level of crap.
      Klem - Nmap - Free Security Scanner For Network Exploration & Security Audits. is what you're after to check ports "nmap -p 443 192.168.0.100" to check hppts on my server etc.

I've bought a D-Link DIR-615 D4 and flashed DD-WRT to use it as a print server upstairs - range extender too

SR101 Port Forwarding | Is it blocked by sky?-incoming.jpg
      Stick with it and make sure that the port you are trying to use is actually working on the device you are trying to nmap

Thanks

Personally I didn't find the GUI difficult, but then it could be because I'm female.

klem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD 2Tb
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Personally I didn't find the GUI difficult, but then it could be because I'm female.
      You are right, the GUI isn't difficult, we can do exactly what it says, including the instructions in the link in your post which is what I did several times before I even posted here. Read my first post again. So before you get airborne on your self-righteous 'ability' just listen to what people post and give them some credit for knowing what they are doing. It doesn't damn well do what it says on the tin. Maybe if we open the tin and start to dig into the can of worms we might get lucky. But why should we need to? God help any sky users that are just simple users that want to host a game. Oh, wait, that's me.

The point is this, we as 'humble' users shouldn't have to dig into this crap. The GUI takes us into forwarding ports with no suggestion that there is some hidden procedure or special settings or perhaps it just doesn't tell us it is a piece of rubbish.

Hix, many thanks, I did re-read your post and get Nmap. But why are we having to go to all this trouble? It's nonsense. Am I really going to re-flash a perfectly good router just because Sky decide to cripple their own known router design?

I wish to god I had never believed the Sky lies and economy with the truth ("of course you can transfer your Virginmedia email addresses", "Oh, didn't I tell you you will be entirely responsible for the hardware and will have to insure it?"

As soon as my year contract is up I'm gone.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Please don't feel offended, Port forwarding has always been a nightmare.

I have had my share of issues in the past. I try to use my experiences and the help I received to help others.

The team which was put together included people with varying degrees of knowledge and experience to create the documents for the SR101 in the articles section. Each of the guides were checked more than once before they were ready for publication. That was then held back until the SR101 was launched.

The main criteria I looked for when putting together the group was an ability to work together and to be able to communicate clearly.

You'll need to forgive me for being proud of the group for they did put a lot of work in for no financial reward.

One of the hardest things with the port forwarding is to get the right settings (TCP/UDP). Others are to do with enabling the ports of the device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast