Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dragon2611

Switching ISP

This is a discussion on Switching ISP within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've decided to jump over to Plusnet, well I'm trying to at least rather worryingly BTO have an "exception" against ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Switching ISP

I've decided to jump over to Plusnet, well I'm trying to at least rather worryingly BTO have an "exception" against my line at the moment so it's a bit hit and miss as to if the migration will actually go smoothly or not.

Although in my case I'm taking a Business line so it's defiantly not about the cost of SFUP.

It's more that I want to use my own router without resorting to hacks, want a static IP and some of my traffic can be classed as Business use.

Also the ablity to communicate using tickets is a big plus for me, I hate phoning call centers.

2. Advertisement
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Switching ISP

Switching from Sky fibre to PlusNet fibre has always been a bit iffy. At one point they were saying they could only switch new customers from Sky via a new line because of some issue with there order processing system which wasn't going to be a quick fix. I don't know whether this is still the case.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Also the ablity to communicate using tickets is a big plus for me, I hate phoning call centers.
      Sky have started something very similar, called My Help Requests. It has not been rolled out throughout the country so far, but when I have used it it worked very well. Check if you have it by signing into your MySky page and scrolling to near the bottom to just under the View your package link.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well that was Interesting to say the least

BT completely failed to show up, someone did the exchange jumpering as my phone was out for ages then eventually switched over.

Plusnet had managed to get BT to book in an engineer for tomorrow morning since it was BT's system that caused the problem.

Earlier this evening my SFUP died completely, looked at the access log for the PPPoE interface and could see I was getting authentication failures back from Plusnet's LNS (Gateways) phone plusnet who activated my login and then the connection sprung to life.

So not really sure Why BT seemed to think i'd need an engineer really as clearly I don't.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Took them long enough!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Molten Gold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I've decided to jump over to Plusnet, well I'm trying to at least rather worryingly BTO have an "exception" against my line at the moment so it's a bit hit and miss as to if the migration will actually go smoothly or not.

Although in my case I'm taking a Business line so it's defiantly not about the cost of SFUP.

It's more that I want to use my own router without resorting to hacks, want a static IP and some of my traffic can be classed as Business use.

Any specific reason why you made the switch or was it just because you needed a business line?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molten Gold View Post
      Any specific reason why you made the switch or was it just because you needed a business line?
      That and I wanted a static IP and not to have to run custom start scripts on the router to make it connect

I quite like the fact they're more transparent than most ISP's in terms of telling you what's going on, Not as transparent as I'd like mind, If money was no object I would have gone to AAISP but given the fact that there's also our residential traffic going over the same line the usage charges would have been eye watering.
      Molten Gold likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (07-11-13)