Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre: Swapping Master Socket to Extension Socket

This is a discussion on Fibre: Swapping Master Socket to Extension Socket within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; H'lo, I've gone through a few threads, and read that some engineers have re-routed the Master Socket through to a ...

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fibre: Swapping Master Socket to Extension Socket

H'lo,

I've gone through a few threads, and read that some engineers have re-routed the Master Socket through to a separate socket in the house.

I'm in a ground floor flat, with the master socket in a closet in the front - for my Sky Boradband, I've used filters on sockets, and the router is connected to an extension socket in the back room - several walls and about 20ft away from the master socket. Cables must run through the walls in a complicated way.

Is it simple thing for the engineer to 'switch' the extension socket in the back room with the master socket and make it a master socket - or would they have to replace the cabling to do this?
      ---reech---

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Fibre: Swapping Master Socket to Extension Socket

Very simple, existing cabling can be used. Just a matter of either fitting a second NTE5 or crimping the wires at the existing master & fitting a blanking plate.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Fibre: Swapping Master Socket to Extension Socket

It depends on how many extension sockets you have and how they are wired. If you only have one or the extension you want to use is the first in the chain, then as Runit says, its very simple. If however you have several sockets and the one you want to use is well down the chain, then it becomes a bit more complicated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.