Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Fibre - Wired or Wireless?

This is a discussion on New Fibre - Wired or Wireless? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm upgrading to fibre in 10 days. I realise ethernet connection is better than wireless as a basic rule ...

uncletupelo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question New Fibre - Wired or Wireless?

Hi,

I'm upgrading to fibre in 10 days. I realise ethernet connection is better than wireless as a basic rule but can I expect a major drop-off if I stay wireless?

My master socket is downstairs with my iMac in the bedroom upstairs. Right now I have no issues being wireless, speeds are the same as ethernet (tried it as a test). Is this likely to remain the case with the new fibre setup?

I have homeplugs but currently I use them for the Sky HD stb and my Xbox360. I've ordered a wireless connector for my Sky HD so I can use that spare home-plug for the iMac is needed.

In order to be completely wired I would need the Openreach guy to run a cable from the Openreach modem/master socket... upstairs to the bedroom where I would sit my Sky hub. This wont look the prettiest but if it will mean I get a huge difference from being wireless I will do it.

I have checked on this forum and my homeplugs should be compatible.

For added info I have a phone socket in the bedroom but its not being used.

Any help would be great?

Regards

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: New Fibre - Wired or Wireless?

Your wireless speeds will be no worse than those you currently enjoy provided that the location of your router remains the same. You can check the speed you are likely to get now if you want without waiting for fibre to be installed by timing how long it takes to transfer a large file between two computers on your local network. This is best done with one of the computers connected to your network by cat5E ethernet cable using 100Mb/s or better. If the speed is better than the download speed of the fibre product you are going to purchase then there would not be any point in making any improvements. There are also programmes available to simplify speed tests on your local network. One such programme can be found at: LAN Speed Test (Lite)

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

If you're not happy with the results you get from the tests seawright has suggested, then you have a number of options when the engineer arrives. You can them to move the master socket to another location. You can get them to swap the extension and the master, i.e. the socket in the bedroom becomes the master and the original master becomes and extension. Other options you have involve keeping the master and modem downstairs and running a cable to wherever you want the hub to be located.

uncletupelo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Would using the home-plug set-up be better than the basic wireless? Right now my iMac connects wirelessly to the modem downstairs, absolutely no drop in speeds compared to a direct ethernet connection. Hopefully that solid connection will exist on the fibre move but if it does drop would using the home-plug upstairs on the iMac be better? I don't want to run extra cable upstairs unless I absolutely have to.

Is it straight forward changing the master & extension around? Will the Openreach guy do it as a matter of course or is it beyond what he is supposed to do?

Hopefully none of this matters and wireless will continue to be solid. I don't have 2 computers to test the probable speeds as suggested I'm afraid.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I posted a thread, What is "Standard" on a fibre install, that details what the OR engineer is able to carry out as part of a fibre install. The caveat in the post still stands.

I'm not sure how easy it is to change the extension to be the master, someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer that!

In terms of homeplug vs. wireless, this is really down to your local environment. Homeplugs rely on reasonable electrical wiring to perform at good speeds. Wireless suffers from walls and interference. If your wireless is working well for you, then I'd see no reason to change it when you move to fibre.