Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TP-Link TD-W8970 with fibre

This is a discussion on TP-Link TD-W8970 with fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had got this router/modem to work with sky fibre? I have tried connecting ...

Hmig89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had got this router/modem to work with sky fibre?

I have tried connecting the BTO modem to the EWAN port and adding my sky username and password with the connection type being PPPoE (similar to the draytek solution in this section I believe) however it looks like it just fails to get an IP from the BTO. I have also set the MAC for the connection to be the same as the sky hubs but no joy. I have also set the router in router only mode. I have not set any security WPA on the router yet, does this need to be set up and same as sky's for BTO to provide an IP?

If anyone could provide any assistance that would be great, I have also emailed tplink today.

The billion and draytek routers are a little out of my budget.

Thanks all
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: TP-Link TD-W8970 with fibre

I could be wrong as I don't have fibre but I think the connection type has to be MER. What was it with the SR101?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Sky provided by the sky hub that is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

Essentially if the router does not support the ability to natively put in the login details required for Sky's servers (most don't). you have three choices:

1. install a custom firmware such as OpenWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato
      2. connect the WAN port to the Sky Hub and disable the Sky Hub's WiFi, allowing your TP-link TD-W870 to run your network, as described in this thread: Using the DLink DIR613.
      3. get one of the two routers or so which will natively work with Sky's servers

There are various threads and guides on this forum to help you to set up a router with OpenWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato. A quick search should find them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie.

the Router has the ability to add username and password for the EWAN port which connects to the BTO Model.

Connection type I have Dynampic IP, Static IP and PPPoE - I set it to PPPoE This is where I am entering the Sky User and Pass. On authentication type is set to AUTO_AUTH - So I guess its MER that is not supported.

I will try add screenshots later. I am also in talk with TP-Link but their tech support....doesnet seem very technical and I think the calls get directed to another country. They didnt have a clue what fibre was when I called them last night, so I've emailed them hoping to get a different tech.

I am looking at the Billion 8020n at the moment. Looking to get to and have them in WDS or get one and have home plugs.

1MILLION Question is Billion 8020N without BTO Modem or Billion 7800 + BTO modem?
      Last edited by Hmig89; 22-05-13 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Listed billion as 7080 instead of 7800

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,185 Times in 2,059 Posts

Read the threads that discuss DD-WRT and OpenWRT to understand specifically what you need to do.

The common method of using a Username and Password is not what the Sky servers require.

All this is explained in those threads which discuss the custom firmwares.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie,

Unforutnaly there is not Open WRT ddwrt for the W8970, maybe because its an ADSL + Router.

I have had a look here: Step By Step Sky Fibre Working With DD-WRT (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND)

However some of the settings mentioned like DNSmasq I can not see in the official firmware. So I gues this router is pointless at the moment.

GLong thread here about this router and mentions DNSmasq: Google Translate

It is all in itialian however. I Believe I can telnet itno the router from what I understand. I wonder If I can get it working with a command. Although I dont assume this would work:

killall udhcpc
      /usr/sbin/udhcpc -i vlan2 -V "5.27.1a4N|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" -c "############@skydsl|################" -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc &

Thanks

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hmig89 View Post
      I am looking at the Billion 8020n at the moment. Looking to get to and have them in WDS or get one and have home plugs.

1MILLION Question is Billion 8020N without BTO Modem or Billion 7800 + BTO modem?
      I assume you mean the Billion 8200N.

If you have ECI street kit then I would go with the BTO Modem + 7800N or one of the new 7800 series because the 8200N doesn't work very well and syncs about 15Mbps below what the BTO modem does.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      I assume you mean the Billion 8200N.

If you have ECI street kit then I would go with the BTO Modem + 7800N or one of the new 7800 series because the 8200N doesn't work very well and syncs about 15Mbps below what the BTO modem does.

Hi Simon,

Is the Billion 8200 and hardware issue, or something they are resolving with their firmware.

by the newer 7800 I assume you mean 7800DXL and 7800VDOX? They are still a bit too pricey for me. I am maybe looking at 100. 120 at a stretch. (not interested in 1043 TPLINK)

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

This is from Billion:

The Bipac 7800DXL/VDOX should have higher throughput on the EWAN port, when compared with the 7800N.

The 7800N wan throughput - 90mbps
      The 7800DXL/VDOX throughput - 300mbps +

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast