Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree9Likes

Finally , half speed issues could be history soon

This is a discussion on Finally , half speed issues could be history soon within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all fellow sufferers !! Having suffered half speed issues with my skyfibre for over 10 months there seems to ...

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi all fellow sufferers !!

Having suffered half speed issues with my skyfibre for over 10 months there seems to be an immenent fix.
      I have spent hours on the phone with the skyfibre team, as Im sure many others have . I shall not detail my issues but just copy this post from an official Sky community content manager , off Sky's own forum.
      There has been very little info on the dreaded "half speed" issue on the Sky Users forum lately ( not to be confused with exchange congestion) so hopefully this post may clarify the situation....

To Quote from Sky Forum

‎" 18-04-2013 04:34 PM

Hi All,

Following the conclusion of the field testing phase of the impending fix related to the issue of Slow Throughput / Half Speed, our network engineers have undertaken a final analysis of the data retreived. The field testing has been invaluable in determining the impact of the proposed fix and the feasibility of it's resolution of this issue. A true testament to this is those Customer's who took part in this testing phase particularly those of you within this forum.

The outcome of this field testing has been resoundingly positive and with this in mind we are now progressing to the next stage in terms of the network rollout of the fix for all affected Customers.

It is our intention to make the necessary changes to our network on Tuesday 23rd April for all customers who are on the Fibre Pro product.

We will be contacting some of you over the course of the next few days to carry out some testing prior to the changes and again afterwards so we can analyse the improvements. This is key in identifying the overall resolution of the fix and indeed your experience thereafter.

We hope following this initial rollout to be able to apply the changes to all customers on the Fibre Unlimited product w/c 6th May, but will confirm this nearer the time.

I will continue to provide updates on the progress of the network rollout across both Fibre products and continue to advocate on your behalf to ensure that you are continously informed.

I would like to thank you all again for your continued patience and support as we progress closer towards the resolution of this issue.

Thankyou

Erinn
      Community Content Manager
      Forum Help Sky Help Forum - Forum Help - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum
      Sky Help Centre Sky Help "

End of Quote

Im not sure if its ethical to copy and paste off another sites forum but Im sure the moderators here will decide that for me, but bearing in mind the info therein I thought it apropiate to post on here.

Regards
      Bret

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,217 Times in 2,086 Posts

Re: Finally , half speed issues could be history soon

Thank you for this update. Yes the topic has gone quiet, but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by rammy104 View Post
      Im not sure if its ethical to copy and paste off another sites forum but Im sure the moderators here will decide that for me, but bearing in mind the info therein I thought it apropiate to post on here.
      lol - We all do it every now and again. As long as you include a suitable link to show where you are quoting from, there is not normally an issue. It also helps to use the 'Quote' button in the text editing and embed the text between the quote boxes. You'll then get something like above where I have quoted a part of your post.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rammy104 (23-04-13)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Today I received a phone call from the Sky Fibre team, apologising for my level of service I've experienced over the last 10 months regarding the "half speed issue".
      He reassured me the Sky Fibre Pro rollout "fix" on Feb 23rd had proved a success and this rollout was now being implemented to Sky Fibre Unlimited customers on May 6th.
      As compensation I was told 200 was being credited to my account immediately, and indeed I have verified this
      This was confirmed by email a few minutes later , which Ive included below.

Hello Bret,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We're sorry you haven't had the best experience from Sky. We're always working to make things better and to apologise, we've credited your account with 200.00.

If you need any more help, please don't hesitate to get in touch

Thank you for continuing to be a Sky customer.

The Sky Team
      I shall keep this link updated come May6th and hopefully we can all finally draw the line under this long going Saga.
      Last edited by rammy104; 30-04-13 at 04:12 PM.
      andrewjr and jayhab like this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky have rolled out the "fix" for certain Fibre Unlimited customers a few days earlier than expected.
      (THe general rollout is scheduled for May 6th)
      As I am one of those customers, I am pleased to report my throughput has increased to 37-38mb/s ( using a selection of Speed testers) . A file downloaded from Thinkbroadband was downloading at 4.5Mb/s which confirmed my speed increase.
      I have received 200 credit this week as compensation , so at the moment I'm a happy bunny.
      Sky have come in for some serious flak regarding this long standing "half speed" issue, but this week as far as Im concerned they have regained some of their stripes !
      Lets hope this "fix" helps many others who have complained of speed issues on here. I shall keep a close watch on my speeds in the coming days/weeks and will report any problems on this link.
      Best of luck to all !
      andrewjr and mattan like this.

Rturner003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01242
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Is this 'fix', is it an update to the firmware of the hub? What is the new firmware version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rturner003 View Post
      Is this 'fix', is it an update to the firmware of the hub? What is the new firmware version?
      It is a fix in the infrastructure, not the router.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Rturner003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01242
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

It is a fix in the infrastructure, not the router.
      Will we be able to know if its been applied to one's connection?

Thanks

It would be useful if someone could confirm if it is possible to see something to confirm this. Does anyone know what can be done to check this please?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I have asked for some technical details of the fix to be released, but whether or not that will yield anything remains to be seen.

My feeling is that Sky equipment at some (but not all) locations (either exchanges or POPs) had either been slightly mis-configured or required some kind of upgrade (maybe hardware, possibly software) - but no details are known.

The only tangible proof that the fix has been implemented (and works!) would seem to be observation of an increase (doubling?!) in throughput speed by someone affected by the "half-speed" issue.

Some folks have already reported that the initial fix has done the trick and fixed it. I suspect the initial fix was to prioritise the geographic locations identified as hotspots from where the most complaints have come (which probably means it's an exchange level fix) and the wider rollout will be to hit all the remaining locations asap. But as I say this is just my theory based on observation and jumping to conclusions!
      Scubbie likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have been in touch with the Fibre Team in regards to the above querie.
      Apparently the fix has been rolled out globally now for Fibre Unlimited but they stressed the router must be reset correctly ( 10 second press of reset button) to implement.
      The fix only applies to those with genuine "half speed issues" and not exchange congestion.
      I was told that they are fully committed to resolving the speed issue and for those still having problems , to contact the Fibre Team where they will make further investigations.
      Hope this helps a little.
      andrewjr, Angel_Rex and Scubbie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast