Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dragon2611

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite

This is a discussion on Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right first off if you're looking for a wireless router that's easy to setup you might's as well stop reading ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite

Right first off if you're looking for a wireless router that's easy to setup you might's as well stop reading now as this isn't it.

With that said the Edge router Lite has 3x GIG-E ethernet ports no wireless and claims to be able to route at upto 1million packets/second or 3Gbit/s (whichever limit it hits first, it depends on the packet size)

Here comes a *very* rough guide to getting one online with sky fttc. This works on the current firmware which is 1.02 at the time of writing.
      I'm going to use the GUI where possible as it's slightly easier but for some stuff it still has to be done in the CLI. this post is pretty much a brain dump so please excuse it if it's a bit messy if someone needs me to I can tidy it up later.

Edgemax is a fairly new product and as of yet a lot of the functionality beyond the basic IPV4 routing/firewall requires you to use the CLI, Ubiquiti are promising to develop the gui further in future releases.

Firstly manually set your IP on your network card to

192.168.1.30 (or something else in the 192.168.1.0/24 range) subnet 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1 dns 192.168.1.1 - I'm not going to bother telling you how to do this because if you don't know you've probably got the wrong router

Connect to the first port, if you want to connect multiple devices you'll need a switch.

browse to https://192.168.1.1

login with ubnt/ubnt.

change the IP of eth1 to suit or leave it as the default of 192.168.1.1

goto system and add some dns servers and set the timezone.etc (I used googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
      Then goto users and change the password for the user ubnt

goto services create a DHCP server, add the subnet (255.255.255.0 usually unless you specifically need something bigger)

then services Dns and set cache size and listen interface (Use your lan interface probably eth0)

add an ip range, (Enter the first IP you want dhcp to hand out in range start and the last one in range stop) set the router and the DNS server to the edge routers address (192.168.1.1) default

Save the settings.

Now your should at least be able to get an IP from DHCP if you set it to dynamic... great but we're still not online yet.

Connect the Openreach modem in this example i used the 3rd port eth2.

Make sure the interface (eth2 in this case) is set to "No address" in the GUI since enabling DHCP won't work due to the authentication sky require.

Now we need to delve into the CLI, there is a Web based CLI interface but i'd suggest connecting via SSH, if on windows now would be a good time to grab putty if you don't have it.

Connect to the Edgerouter CLI using ssh, (username/pass are same as webui)

you should get a prompt similar to this one. (Note if you've changed the username/hostname it will be different)

Code:
      Welcome to EdgeOS
      ubnt@ubnt:~$
      now we need to gain superuser privileges, run the following

sudo bash

One of the Ubiquiti team over at their forum did give me a mod to their dhcp start script but I didn't manage to get that working, so I'm going to bypass the inbuilt dhcp scripts and call dhclient directly.

now run the following

vi /etc/dhclient.conf

hit the insert key on the keyboard and add the following (Obvisouly change the interface if you didn't plug the sky modem into the 3rd port)

Code:
      interface "eth2" {send dhcp-client-identifier "username@skydsl|mypass";
      }
      press escape and do :wq followed by enter.

test this worked by running the following command

dhclient -cf /etc/dhclient.conf eth2

make sure you specify the interface eth2 - I've made the mistake of forgetting to specify the interface before, it's not a smart move as it try's to dhcp on all interfaces and loses it's IP on the LAN side as well!

now run ifconfig you should see an IP on eth2 if all went well (note: if you just swapped from another router it might not be able to get an ip right away)

lets make sure our modified dhcp client starts on boot

vi /etc/rc.local

press insert

add the command

/sbin/dhclient -cf /etc/dhclient.conf eth2
      on the line before exit 0

Press escape and do !wq to save changes

now exit out of the root shell by using the command

exit

Now the router itself is online but you'll find any hosts connected to it won't be able to get to the internet as we need a NAT rule to translate from the internal IP's on our LAN to our SKY assigned ip

Back to the Gui

goto firewall > nat

click "add source nat rule"

in description write something useful (I put "outbound" but it could just as easily say "bobs Nat rule" if you so wished)

Outbound interface eth2 (again change it as appropriate if you used a different port for the sky modem)

Set translation to "use Masquerade"

Save

Right with that done you should now be online, that said currently the router will accept all connections FROM the internet, leaving it's web-ui andt
      goto the "firewall policies" tab

Click "add ruleset"

name the ruleset something descriptive like protect_router

set the default action to drop.

Now on your new ruleset select actions > edit ruleset

Then add new rule

Action = Accept, Protocol = all protocols, enable = ticked
      advanced tab > state = established then save

Repeat this proccess a 2nd time but select Related instead of established on the 2nd rule

Now goto interfaces and add eth2 (again change if you used a different port) and direction "local"

save the rule.

I also created a Second rule-set with the same rules but with the interface eth2 direction IN to help protect the machines on the network, probably not strictly with nat, but I'd prefer to use the firewall just in case.

I ran into a problem with the IP acceleration causing packetloss which Ubquiti are currently trying to reproduce if you do notice this connect running the following cli commands disables the acceleration (Someone tested this router at 800Mbit/s even with acceleration off)

configure
      set system disable-ip offload
      commit
      save

to re-enable accelleration

configure
      delete system disable-ip offload
      commit
      save

where commit applies the configuration and save writes it to flash so it survives a reboot/powerdown (I learnt the hard way omitting the save command is a bad idea )
      Last edited by dragon2611; 06-01-13 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo, probably missed a load more....
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite

UI Screenshots.

Edit:

Whoops looks like i managed to screenshot the paint.net window where I was pasting the screenshots to save them.. It was supposed to be a screenshot showing the tool-tip that appears when you mouse over a port:

Green = Gigabit, Orange = 100Mbit/s

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just thought I'd post a quick update.

Finally got my 2nd one on-line, and was able to setup an IPSEC VPN connection between them, I used IPSEC as currently that's the only VPN protocol that the crypto acceleration supports. (They're working on accelerating OVPN)

The Tunnel was set to AES-128, DH group2, SHA hashing (I'm told switching to aes-256 doesn't produce much of a performance penalty but I've not tried that yet)

I was able to Download at my full line rate over the VPN (I sync at 80/20, remote end is co-lo'd at a DC and can supposedly burst to 1Gbit)

That's pretty impressive for a router that's in the price range of a lot of the Draytek/Billion kit.

0BV
      0BV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: HG612 + EdgeMax Lite
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

thanks for this been running this for a few months now. Some suggestions, 1. Put your config here " /config/script/dhclient.conf "so is does not get removed after any updates. & 2. ipoffload " IP acceleration " has been fixed but its still being tested in v1.2.0alpha2. Thanks again for this :P

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0BV View Post
      thanks for this been running this for a few months now. Some suggestions, 1. Put your config here " /config/script/dhclient.conf "so is does not get removed after any updates. & 2. ipoffload " IP acceleration " has been fixed but its still being tested in v1.2.0alpha2. Thanks again for this :P
      I do now use the "/config/script" directory I just forgot to update the post

I've not re-tested acceleration with bridging as I put a 8 port Gig switch in place instead.

Also If you're running 1.2.0alpha2 consider updating, they're upto Beta2 now and it looks to be pretty stable thus far.

They're really fast for things that are accelerated but the performance can be noticeably less for things that are not, such as vlans.

annihilation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: London
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I know this thread is old but in case anyone looks it up this is how you can add the DHCP option from the CLI:

set interfaces ethernet eth1 dhcp-options client-option "send dhcp-client-identifier "USERNAME|PASSWORD";"

eurochez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Clapham
      Broadband ISP: Greater London
      Router: DrayTek Vigor 2860
      Thanks

I currently use a DrayTek Vigor 2860 modem/router (instead of the Sky wifi router I was given) but since I use Ubiquiti's UniFi WAPs at home and am really impressed by them I'd also like to upgrade my router to Ubiquiti UniFi but from this post I am guessing that the Ubiquiti Edge router does not contain a modem so I would still need to use a separate modem?

annihilation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: London
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurochez View Post
      I currently use a DrayTek Vigor 2860 modem/router (instead of the Sky wifi router I was given) but since I use Ubiquiti's UniFi WAPs at home and am really impressed by them I'd also like to upgrade my router to Ubiquiti UniFi but from this post I am guessing that the Ubiquiti Edge router does not contain a modem so I would still need to use a separate modem?
      That is correct. You would need either an Openreach modem or another VDSL modem. Aside from that its pretty simple.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...views/#content

I'm just getting one of these to replace the wifi in the SR102 as it's being a nightmare atm

LinkBacks (?)