Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

God awful connection speeds - ideas?

This is a discussion on God awful connection speeds - ideas? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello forum. We had fibre installed at the end of September. The estimated speed was 18.8 down, and around 4.5 ...

bangshi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

God awful connection speeds - ideas?

Hello forum.

We had fibre installed at the end of September. The estimated speed was 18.8 down, and around 4.5 upload.

When it was installed the connected speed was 12400 ish down and 1200 up. As it says, you should wait 10 days and your speed may improve.

As it turns out, it has only gone down. Now sitting pretty at 799 kbps up an 8799 kbps down.

As you can see, that is a massive difference.

To add insult to injury, when it was ADSL we had a faster upload and 6-8mb down, usually 6-7, but the day fibre was installed it was 8.

So somehow, despite being a superior product and having fibre to the cabinet, the upload speed has gone down and he download speed has hardly improved at all.

Sky sent out an engineer, who came, plugged something in and said Sky are capping the line at 10 down, 1 up.

He said there is therefore no fault on the line and they need to remove the cap, and you're only getting 9 down as you're losing 1mb from here to the cabinet.

That sounded plausible, but the next day Sky left a message saying they understand the fault is clear. But it wasn't - still the same identical speeds (ie. I'm obviously hitting a limit/cap).

So they sent out another engineer, the same guy as before arrived and said it was still capped to 10/1 but that he had reset it to 40/10 and in his own words - when he tested it we should be getting 40 down and 10 up, not the quoted estimate. I've no idea what planet this guy is on. We don't live near the cabinet, so no chance of getting those speeds.

Anyway, he then plugged his device in and ran the test again only to see that the cap was back again. He said he would need to go back to the cabinet, and would be back in 30 minutes. What happened? He never returned. What a effing toss pot.

I phoned Sky, they said there was a new note on the fault and that apparently 10 down and 1 up is all we are ever going to get.

How can this be when the speed is only marginally better than ADSL, and the upload speed is worse? Not least the upload is less than a quarter of the estimate?

How can the fibre estimate be so wrong, especially when the ADSL estimate is spot on? They can't claim well it goes by postcode and can be inaccurate otherwise the ADSL one would suffer the same fault.

They haven't even checked the wiring, the master socket, the connection of the outside line to the inside wire, tried another modem and now Sky are saying they cannot get another engineer out as they have sent two out already and that they claim it cannot be any better.

TL/DR version:
      We live about 600m from the cabinet. What speed do you lot think should be attainable?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: God awful connection speeds - ideas?

I would contact Sky again if I were you.

Putting things as nicely as possible to them there are a couple of import facts which you need to remind them of:

1. your estimated connection speed when you order Sky Fibre
      2. the minimum delivery speed of any FTTC product should be 15mb, not below 10mb

Ask to speak with someone senior or from the Fibre team if you are being fobbed off. If you don't get through to someone who can help you, then we can provide you with the contact details for the executive team.

As for the original upload speed, there is an issue with various members who are initially being placed on the wrong profile (40/1) instead of the correct 40/10 profile for SFU. Had all been well I think that you should be able to achieve the promised connection speed of 18/4.5.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have already contacted Sky and they seem steadfast that as an engineer has visited twice (despite it being the same clueless muppet both times) they cannot call another one out. I am assuming it costs them each time, and that they'll as a general rule get someone out twice and if they say there's no problem they won't investigate further.

They did say I am free to cancel as it is below 15mb but it is to me barbaric that ADSL was providing me with 6-8 down and 1 up (with a good attenuation on upload, ie. plenty of leg room for more) and yet I am seeing no improvement at all in upload on fibre.

This was from someone within the fibre team.

Also I just realised I got it wrong in my original post, the cabinet is 0.6 miles (real length not as crow flies) away not 600 metres!

For reference, the exchange is 1.4 miles as the crow flies, will be a fair bit more in reality.

The uplift on that leaked list was 2.79.

----------------------

Edit: additionally - would I be correct in assuming that, with fibre to the cabinet you are essentially if you like 'moving' the exchange closer to you? ie. where the copper line would lose speed from the exchange to the cabinet, with it now being fibre from the exchange to the cabinet, there's no/little drop off, and thus you get higher speeds as a result?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

FTTC uses a higher signal which drops off faster than ADSL2+, which in turn drops off faster than ADSL.

If you have any close neighbours on Fibre, ask what their connection speeds are like. Otherwise you may be better off writing a nice email to the executive team:

jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - the exchange was only just activated, so I doubt anyone is on it - not least I don't speak to them

I'll give him an email.

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Thanks

If you were on ADSL you could have tweaked the Dslam with a Netgear DG834GT router running DGteam software. This would have given you a bit more, possibly 2-3mb download. This is because Sky use a preset SNR of between 6 and 7db. In practice you may be able to reduce this to about 3db getting better speeds and still maintaining a connection.

Turning now to your present issue with Sky Fibre, I had similar connection issues but not quite as bad as yours. I was lucky this last time, I had a really good engineer who listened to me and ended up swapping the D pairs on my line and, touch wood, its holding at 27.5mb down. He also said I am 750metres from the cabinet so there must be hope for you. He also said that on a 200 pr line that supplied me you can get interference from other nearby lines in the harmonics.

The other thing I did which may help is either hack your modem if its a Huawei type or buy your own of the bay and hack it. This will give you some line stats to work with. Mine showed an attainable speed of 36mb which meant I knew that I should not be to far removed from that. Its worth asking can they swap the D pair on the line. I have had 5 engineers to my property so there is hope and good luck.

At the end of the day you might as well be on ADSL with speeds on fibre like that!!

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Otherwise you may be better off writing a nice email to the executive team:

jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com
      alternatively estenquiries at bskyb dot com
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I'll include them in my email.

Out of interest is there any kind of chart showing speed against distance, like there are for ADSL?

Also regarding noise profiles, when I phoned Sky I did ask if this is also a feature of fibre, she said she'd have to check with someone and came back and said no - so she was incorrect then?

I did explain we were on a low noise margin on ADSL, 3dB, thus had better speeds, so was hoping something similar might work in this situation.

The previous ISP allowed you to set it yourself and on 3dB we had 6-8, 6dB 5-6 and 9dB 4-5. So if it there is something similar then we might be able to gain quite a bit just from adjusting that.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bangshi View Post
      Thanks, I'll include them in my email.

Out of interest is there any kind of chart showing speed against distance, like there are for ADSL?
      There is something here (under the heading "What speed can I expect from fibre broadband? (FTTC)" about a third down the page:
      thinkbroadband :: Fibre Broadband (FTTC / FTTH) Guide
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Gigabit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ZeN
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would contact Sky again if I were you.

1. the minimum delivery speed of any FTTC product should be 15mb, not below 10mb
      Actually, there is no minimum delivery speed of FTTC anymore. This is information from a BT engineer (not me, but I 'know' one).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast