Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Like Tree22Likes

Known Working Third Party Routers With Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on Known Working Third Party Routers With Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just yesterday got my new Netgear D7800 (2600) Nighthawk up and running on Sky Fibre.. After a lot of fiddling ...

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion 8800AXL R2
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Known Working Third Party Routers With Sky Fibre

Just yesterday got my new Netgear D7800 (2600) Nighthawk up and running on Sky Fibre.. After a lot of fiddling about. I finally got it going after giving the router a full reset and starting from scratch again with my option 60 & 61 username/password & MAC details ripped from the SR102..

Details here... Hope it helps someone...

I think it's what I initially suspected ... Either the D7800 router's firmware is still a bit flaky, or the settings page doesn't like changing it's settings too much, and was not
      updating somehow. At one stage I noticed that the Option 60 & 61 boxes had disappeared no matter what I clicked on in the menu... Only after a full reset did they return.

Anyway what I did was.. Whilst the router was switched on and connected to the DSL/phone line... I pushed and held the little reset button on the back of
      the router for about 10 seconds or so (you'll need a pen etc for the small button)

During setup I didn't use the Auto setup!

Once the router resets it will start scanning again just like first startup. Although even after doing this it still remembers some previously entered numbers in the dropdown menus

After that put in your details on the internet page.

Select Country = UK
      Select Internet Service Provider = I chose Other but changed it to Sky later. I was still sure at this point that the router wasn't going to connect
      and thought that choosing Other may have given me some extra options.

Transfer Mode = VDSL(PTM)
      DSL Mode = VDSL2

Internet = Enable This Interface

Vendor Class Identifier String (option 60) which looks something like this 2.8c.1095.R|003|SR102|A52016ER028668
      Client Identifier String (option 61) which looks something like this, the first part before the @ is your SR102 MAC code 1234567891011@skydsl|89a12345

Does your internet require login = NO

Router MAC address = I chose Use this MAC address entered my SR102 MAC number, however after the setup completed the MAC was showing as Use Default address and the the Netgears MAC address was there... Even though when I went to the Advanced Menu, it showed my SR102 MAC. This is what I mean about the router not updating settings and remembering previously entered ones.

I left the router for about 1 minute and the DSL/Internet light (second from the left) went from red to white... And that was it

The issues I had with the SR102 (poor wireless signal and only half the routers indicated fibre connection speeds) are now gone. I've now got a full wireless
      signal everywhere and can download wirelessly at 35Mbps instead of about 16Mbps.. Woohooo

Hope this helps.
      Hassan Zafar likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Richard.F is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYROT
      Router: Sky Q
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hey everyone, come here for some guidance on upgrading my router as not used a 3rd party router in over 6years and my old Linksys is back at my parents still working away. Moved house Aug 2015 and was limited by ISP due to location, previously been with Virgin and was a smaller property footprint so didn't have same problems as I do now. Ended up picking Sky, originally went for just Line and BB (Sky fibre unlimited) which came with the SR102 (still got this as apparently I bought it...). In Dec upgraded on a 12 month deal with Sky Q so got the newer Sky Q router. So for now am tied in until end of the 2017, if another good deal comes up I'll stay with Sky if not I'll likely switch to BT/Plusnet if they can give me a cheaper deal for switching that offers similar line speed (really not that bothered about TV and phone line).

This is what I have connected
      WIFI:
      PS3 (same room as Router so good signal strength and speed OK)
      Sky Q TV box (same room as Router so good signal strength and speed OK)
      3-4 Smart Phones - reasonable signal strength in 80% of house and very low in opposite corner of the house to the Router, have to switch to mobile data when in garden)
      2 Laptops - reasonable signal strength in 80% of house and very low in opposite corner of the house to the Router, doesn't work well in garden)
      1 Tablet - reasonable signal strength in 80% of house and very low in opposite corner of the house to the Router, doesn't work well in garden)

Future purchases will include a new smart TV so expect this to also go on WiFi

LAN:
      PC upstairs used for Online Gaming/Streaming/Downloading on powerline (may consider running Cat5e at some point for this but for now not having any problems)

I mainly use my PC or stuff in the front room connected to TV so don't notice too many problems, my partner uses her phone and tablet a lot for streaming TV and is often complaining of drops in the stream. The other thing I want to consider is we have quite a long rear garden now - approx 25m in length from the Router location and we currently get little to no signal outside

So what are my options for replacing the Sky Q router.
      Been looking at the Netgear D7000 as ideally would want to spend more than this unless the benefits are noticeable to our usage
      1. What is the range like on the WiFi, should I expect good WiFi coverage and speed in my garden area as well as upstairs/opposite corner of the house?
      2. What are other similar products to this from Asus, TPlink etc pro's and con's for those?
      3. Are the benefits for the D7800 worth the big price jump?
      4. Can I get something cheaper that would still meet our needs and be a marked improvement on the current Sky offering?

Thanks in advance for your answers to my questions

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

stock asus firmware on my rt-ac88u seems to work with sky if you set the nvram vars via telnet with

Code:
      nvram set wan_clientid_type="0"
      nvram set wan0_clientid_type="0"
      nvram set wan_clientid="0123456789123@skydsl|12345678"
      nvram set wan0_clientid="0123456789123@skydsl|12345678"
      nvram set wan_vendorid="2.8c.1095.R|001|SR102|A5001000000000"
      nvram set wan0_vendorid="2.8c.1095.R|001|SR102|A5001000000000"
      nvram commit
      reboot
      i noticed after reverting to stock asus firmware earlier that it worked fine without a script
      sifted through the nvram think i got all of the values
      Last edited by Shonk; 11-04-17 at 05:01 PM.
      marjohn56 likes this.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
      stock asus firmware on my rt-ac88u seems to work with sky if you set the nvram vars via telnet with

Code:
      nvram commit
      reboot
      i noticed after reverting to stock asus firmware earlier that it worked fine without a script

Hi Shonk. Still have my ac88u as a wap. Does the router give you a valid ipv6 wanip address or are there still problems ? Thanks
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

on stock firmware yes (as it releases the prefix on exit by default)
      on merlin yes if release prefix on exit = enabled

if you want to maintain the prefix on merlin you have to use a script to get a WAN IPv6 Gateway

ap110 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DedPixl View Post
      Hi RobRS

I have attached a .pdf file of what worked for me in setting up the R7800. The content is built on the work of others and some useful pointers from people like MarJohn on the forums. I think what the attached .pdf does if anything is to fill in the little bits of knowledge which people assume you know so hope its useful. I am by no means an expert in this area and like it says in the disclaimer at the top using the information is entirely at your own risk but that being said if you stick to the instructions I dont think you can do too much damage .. famous last words

good luck let me know how you get on. Oh and if anybody else on the forums wants to constructively comment on the content or suggest improvements I am happy to hear from them

Attachment 6358
      Hi DedPixl, any chance of reposting the pdf file, link is now dead & I'm in the same boat as you were

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

hushcoden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Re: Known Working Third Party Routers With Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post

Code:
      nvram commit
      reboot
      Shonk - maybe a silly question, but why you need to issue the command for two WAN ports, wan & wan0, if the router has got only one WAN port ?

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK. Bottom line which is best router to buy which is minimal hassle to set up?
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hushcoden View Post
      Shonk - maybe a silly question, but why you need to issue the command for two WAN ports, wan & wan0, if the router has got only one WAN port ?

as thats the nvram values that get saved to nvram when you add it with stock asus code
      hence just copying them

e.g. ask asus

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bought tp-link ac1600. So do I need to use custom firmware and/or get sky password?

https://kevq.uk/how-to-use-a-tp-link...y-fibre-optic/ - seems to say no?
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast