Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Low Fibre Speed

This is a discussion on Low Fibre Speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I wonder if this is simply measuring the noise between your router and the modem? Noise ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Low Fibre Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I wonder if this is simply measuring the noise between your router and the modem?
      Noise on the Link between the Modem and the Router would simply cause dropped packets as it's just 100Mbit/s Ethernet

If you have a hacked modem it's possible to gain access to it's interface and get stats for the VDSL side of it.

2. Advertisement
      tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

thanks for the reply Dragon2611. How would I find the REIN thats causing this issue? The SKY techy suggested it may be a streetlamp and there is one nearby to the cabinet but the only way I can see of doing this is asking them to turn off the DLM on my line due to this issue. Do you think that's an approach they would listen to?

@Isitme I suspect that may be the case and would that affect the DLM as it would show on the modems input as its connected to my line. If that was the case what could be the cause of it? Thinking on it is situated adjacent to the electric meter which is situated on the other side of this wall. Could it be that? Otherwise the only other thing it may be is that a bit further away on the other side of the wall are a fridgefreezer and chest freezer, could it be them? If these are affecting it is there any way of suppressing it?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Low Fibre Speed

Turning off the dlm (if that's even possible on fttc) would stop it adjusting your profile down in order to attempt to stabilise your connection.

However if it is rein it highly likely that when the interference occurs it will simply knock your modem out of sync due to not enough snr to maintain connection

The AM radio may help de-tune it so it's just receiving white noise if there's interference on the AM band the noise pattern will change significantly helps with adsl interference may not with Vdsl tho

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Thanks

But when they originally installed the fibre the connection was maintained and it stays on for ages. So, are you saying I need to obtain an AM radio to listen for REIN, if so what am I listening for, a change in the noise pattern? and what do you mean by detuning it? Could do with an idiots guide if possible.

I always thought that Vdsl was the same as Adsl but the V bit was for very a high frequency?

EDIT - Just noticed your post about the noise above. The reason I have not put the hacked modem back in that I am trying to show to the BT engineers that it will maintain a connection for a long time. I will probably put this on tomorrow after he has been. Is there anything you need to know in particular?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I suspect that may be the case and would that affect the DLM as it would show on the modems input as its connected to my line.
      I have read that what happens on your internal network does not effect DLM with a fibre connection, it certainly can on ADSL.

Fridge/freezers can effect the noise on your line, especially if they are getting old. One of our members reduced the interference on his line by fitting filters to his CH pump. This should be possible with fridge freezers, but I don't know enough about it to advise. Maybe the member who did this could advise?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      But when they originally installed the fibre the connection was maintained and it stays on for ages. So, are you saying I need to obtain an AM radio to listen for REIN, if so what am I listening for, a change in the noise pattern? and what do you mean by detuning it? Could do with an idiots guide if possible.

I always thought that Vdsl was the same as Adsl but the V bit was for very a high frequency?

EDIT - Just noticed your post about the noise above. The reason I have not put the hacked modem back in that I am trying to show to the BT engineers that it will maintain a connection for a long time. I will probably put this on tomorrow after he has been. Is there anything you need to know in particular?
      Yes I mean listen for noticeable changes in the noise pattern

By De-tune it I simply mean don't tune it into an actual radio station

::. Kitz - REIN .:: might be worth a read, would have posted it earlier but was on my phone.

Thanks

Well the BT engineer came out who was quite helpful. Discussed my issues and he has swapped the D pair for another supplying my house. He now says its totally error free after testing and should support 29mb on the line. However he said after discussions with network people that they think it wont support that and that DLM should build up slowly and increase to what it likes and can support.

This will start after 10 days. He did tell me the line had been reset, which I took to mean we start again with DLM. Not the case, I came home to a synch speed of 16.4mb, when I left this morning it was 18mb. It could be months before this occurs couldn't it? He also said he didn't think the issue was REIN as the network guys say the REIN is there during the day. I drove round with my car radio set at 612Mhz as indicated on the Kitz forums but could hear no white noise difference either during the day or night.

I find 16.4mb on a fibre line pathetic. He advised not to put my hacked modem in yet as it needs time to settle and they could blame that for any further issues. Oh and he mentioned that he had come across this before from other properties connected to my CAB, but he reckoned there would be lots more cases but people are not aware and just want the connection for doing Facebook so are not technically aware of this artificial limitation.

When Sky ring today I am tempted to tell them to reset the DLM and start afresh, what do you people think?

cheers in advance guys.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've heard stories that a Huawei Modem used with an ECI cab can cause performance issues where there are spikes in the number of errors suddenly something to do with an incompatibility in the chipsets/firmware I think.

Therefore It's probably a good idea to follow Openreach's advice and leave the Modem they've sent you on the line for a while to see if it helps.

Thanks

Yes I thought that to so have left the ECI modem in. The speed has been reset today so I am back to 29.79mb down and ping to bbc.co.uk via cmd line is 13ms; The best ever. Last night it was 21ms so I assume this is a totally better line, certainly the ping has dropped which suggests the quality of the line and any resistance is better. The ping before could go up to 45-55 ms

One of the previous engineers said that, so I left the ECI modem in. SKY did try to ring me today but was unable to take the call. I am hoping this will be the end of it but won't hold my breath. However, there is not much else I can do apart from cross my fingers and hope. Shame I cannot pull the stats of an ECI modem without physically taking it apart, do not feel very confident in soldering stuff on it anyway.
      Last edited by tomthered; 02-10-12 at 11:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12