Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Nathan3907

Which Wireless Card for my Desktop PC?

This is a discussion on Which Wireless Card for my Desktop PC? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I upgraded around 2 months ago to Sky Fibre and was previously running a Wired Network Adapter (only 85Mbps) due ...

Nathan3907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Which Wireless Card for my Desktop PC?

I upgraded around 2 months ago to Sky Fibre and was previously running a Wired Network Adapter (only 85Mbps) due to the low range of the Sky Broadband Router and me being on the opposite side of the house in my bedroom. (Around 8m away and through two brick walls) Initially I realised that this Wired Network Adapter gave me lower speeds and so I purchased the; http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...047922&sr=1-13

Initially everything was alright. My brother has his laptop right next to the Router and was getting 40Mb/s DL speed and around 5Mb/s UL speed wheras me using that was receiving around 25Mb/s DL and 2.6Mb upload, both running W7 64-bit. Recently though the signal began dropping to around 1-3 bars and then ultimately my Network card began giving me the BSOD and I discovered that it was a common fault on the card and I removed it.

Now I do not wish to make the same mistake again and purchase a product that doesn't work after a while but I was wondering if anyone knew a cheap (max around 30) alternative? Should I go for a 450Mb/s card or do USB adapters work better? I figured I may as well try and get the full 40Mb/s as I was too hasty and uninformed when I purchased my previous card and wasn't getting the most out of Fibre.

I have been looking at; http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WDN4800-4...8048645&sr=1-1

It being another TP I am again skeptical but I couldn't find any events of people getting the BSOD and seems to have a strong signal strength.

All suggestions are appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Which Wireless Card for my Desktop PC?

Personally speaking I would prefer to go for the 450mb/s WiFi adaptor, but this would make your desktop a little more future proof.

Currently the 300mb/s WiFi version would be more than adequate for the Sky routers:

TP Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

That 450mb/s card does support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels though and should you intend to get you own router which supports this, then you would be in a better position to take advantage of it.

P.S. The number of bars or Signal Strength can be improved with all three adaptors by the use of a different aerial. The one below is for the 2.4GHz channels only:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-A...omputers_img_b

You will need to research more to find something suitable for the 450mb/s adaptor.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Personal I would try a USB adapter you can put on an extension to move around to find the best signal. Unfortunately wireless does not go through walls very well and the higher the frequency the less penetrating power it has. Something like this would give you some options.-
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...m_computers_17

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nathan3907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I bought the 450 Mb/s TP-Link Adapter, it arrived today and so far the results have been brilliant.

Thnaks for the help and I'm sure I'll be back on here soon enough when this one breaks.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan3907 View Post
      Thnaks for the help and I'm sure I'll be back on here soon enough when this one breaks.
      You are always welcome to visit, but please DON'T BREAK IT!

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

sorry i dont get this sorry but aslong as you have a long enough ethernet cable range is unaffected ??

personally i always opt for cable since my wifi card kept losing reception and everything apart from a xbox 360 and sky wireless connector

Thanks

What is there not to get?

I would entirely agree with you in respect that an Ethernet Cable would offer the best connection speed.

Not everyone is able to run a long Ethernet cable from where the router is connected to where a Desktop PC is located. Drilling holes in walls is not an option for many people though. Having leads running around a room, some how negotiating a doorway or two, and not creating a trip hazard is something which many people have to consider.