Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

new connection help

This is a discussion on new connection help within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I did receivce and phone call /text and email yesurday from Dave@ sky fibre team. Really pleased with the help ...

JeDuK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: new connection help

I did receivce and phone call /text and email yesurday from Dave@ sky fibre team. Really pleased with the help and updates ive received from him since i first reported the problem on friday, third time he has updated me on the situation so far.
      All they have said so far, is there aware of it and should sort itself out, if its not sorted itself out in next few days to ring back, but have a feeling i will hear from dave again before i need to ring them.

Iam just abit gutted that i had to reboot the modem on day 2, since my pings increased from 6 to 13 and sync dropped from 40000 to 35000mb

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Others have previously mentioned in other threads that it is not a good idea to reboot the Modem very often. If possible you should avoid this as it can trigger BTO's DLM to kick in and reduce the connection speed a little. It can then take around 10 days for it to return to where it was previously.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Yes i had already read, that rebooting the modem is not the best idea, and i had to reboot it on the first day, Sky team advice as an update showed on my account, and then had to reboot again the second day, due to the way the bt guy had wired up the modem, i had read so many threads about really helpful BT engineers, who would move your master socket for you, run extra data cables to your router/modem due to lack of power near the master socket.
      My guy came in said alright, asked where the master socket was, then followed me in to the front room, put his tools down, said right wheres it going,i said well master socket is there, pointing at corner of room, but i dont have proper power supply near it that dosn't have the risk of being turned off by accident. plus my pc is in the other room, his reply was, nah that will be fine, you just need to run a long etherent cable to the other room to connect to the router,then carried on unboxing the modem to fit it to the wall. Offered him tea/coffee, he replied no thanks, and carried on.
      I already had a ethernet cable that ran somewhere near to where the modem was placed back to my pc, but it has a broken clip, so can fall out if knocked,so i asked if he had a spare ethernet plug to replace the broken one, his reply NAH.... we dont carry them
      I looked at him in amazement, as he carried on making the biggest balls up ive even seen, of someone trying to mount a modem to the wall.
      Modem fitted wired up to router, he comes to pc says try the interent, i opened firefox,clicked a few bookmarks, he says cool thats working CYA........
      I dont think he had even drove off before i had my tools out to redrill the mounting holes, so that my modem was fitted to the wall straight, and didnt fall off as soon as you tried to dust it.

Good job the sky fibre techs have been so helpful, and my connection has seemed to stablized, apart from the 2mb upload, yet to be fixed, but apart from that its solid......

Thanks

Obviously not all their engineers are happy people.

With regards to the connector, many others have had a similar problem, including myself. The best thing to do is to purchase a crimping tool, some cheap connectors and some coloured boots to protect the connect. There are many places that you can get them from but below is a couple to give you some idea:

Novatech RJ45 Crimping Tool | NLCN- 312

Novatech Network Cable Connectors | ut-193 10 pack

Coloured Boots for RJ45 Connectors : RJ45 Connectors : Maplin Electronics

As for wiring up the cable, in essence just copy the other end identically. If you are unsure, take a look at the guide linked below. I tend to stick with the 568-B guide as this is the most commonly used on the pre-made cables in the UK:

How to Make a Category 5 /5e Patch Cable

or

How to wire Ethernet Cables

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

cheers for the links, luckly the socket on the modem is pretty tight compared to the one on my ps3, where it would lose connection if someone farted in the same room,

Thanks

well my upload seems to have sorted itself out at last,and my pings have dropped back down to 4/5 from 12/13ms

as long as it stays like this ill be happy i changed from virgin, although saying that even stuck at 2mb upload gaming is so much smoother than virgin ever was

Thanks

Nice, very nice.

As for VM, obviously you live in one of those areas which VM has a lot of problem with in respect of keeping a good speed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234