Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree5Likes

Still waiting for router?

This is a discussion on Still waiting for router? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dragon2611 If you have a managed/semi-managed switch that can do port mirroring or an old hub it's ...

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Still waiting for router?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      If you have a managed/semi-managed switch that can do port mirroring or an old hub it's easy to sit between the Sky router and the FTTC Modem and Sniff the DHCP packet
      Heh, good thinking; I have an old hub around I could do that with - forgot it was all Ethernet. I'd have to reinstall Wireshark

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Not sure if a guided document would help unless people happen to have either a very old ethernet Hub or a switch which is at least semi-managed and can do Port mirroring.

There are ways to get an unmanaged switch to act a bit like a hub but it basically involves an ARP Poisoning attack which I'd be hesitant to try on a switch that is uplinked to my providers network.
      Concur - there is plenty of advice on other sites about sniffing, but almost nobody has an old hub now, everything is switched. And you don't want to go doing ARP poisoning now.... I've seen it done in a security lab myself.
      NewsreadeR likes this.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rederick View Post
      Heh, good thinking; I have an old hub around I could do that with - forgot it was all Ethernet. I'd have to reinstall Wireshark

- - - Updated - - -

Concur - there is plenty of advice on other sites about sniffing, but almost nobody has an old hub now, everything is switched. And you don't want to go doing ARP poisoning now.... I've seen it done in a security lab myself.
      Yes port mirroring would be the way to go about it these days but that requires either a managed switch or one of those "smart" switches (Sometimes sold as webmanaged or semi managed)

I Used a Dlink Des 1100-16 "Smart" Switch in my case the port mirroring function is under L2 features

Ironically when logging in to take the screenshot I seem to have Ignored my own previous advice about remembering to turn off the mirroring function, turns out I still had the traffic on ports 1 and 2 mirrored to port 16... Whoops.

iZucchini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well as a side note, my router arrived this morning... 2504n so no swanky new hub for me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123