Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Working config with Cisco 877

This is a discussion on Working config with Cisco 877 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gorebrush Shame I sold my 877 - it's ADSL router though - so interested to know how ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Working config with Cisco 877

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Shame I sold my 877 - it's ADSL router though - so interested to know how you are managing to route within the FastEthernet ports - Would have thought an 871 would be more suitable for fibre (as it has a separate fastethernet interface for WAN)
      I've not played with the Config recently But I'd assume it's something like Create a VLAN for the WAN and then attach it to one of the FastEthernet ports as an "access" vlan.

2. Advertisement
      mac326a is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Shame I sold my 877 - it's ADSL router though - so interested to know how you are managing to route within the FastEthernet ports - Would have thought an 871 would be more suitable for fibre (as it has a separate fastethernet interface for WAN)
      Well Im assuming it'll have to be via using a VLAN interface, apply the layer 3 config there, then assign the appropriate switchport into that vlan as an access port. Rather than config one of the switchports as a routed port - asfaik the 877 adsl wont allow that, it wont let you issue the 'no switchport command' at all on an individual switchport. You're only allowed 2 vlans aswell (well at least in my IOS advsecurity-k9 - I needed to set up VPN, and there were some memory limitations for some larger IOS versions adv-ipservices etc)

Hope Jussie shows up to comfirm or deny use of the 877 though from the earlier post

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have sent the OP a PM to ask if they could report back on here.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Brutos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clapton/Hackney
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mac326a View Post
      First post for me too!

Jussie, Thanks for the info. However, was this using the the 1841 or 877 in the end?? I currently use 877W for ADSL2+ with another provider, and im awaiting my Sky fibre unlimited activation date in early september. Anybody else used a Cisco router for their Sky connection?

Also, I have an ASA5505 which I believe can be set to receive DHCP with Option 61 on the Outside interface. Anyone had any experience of attempting this with Sky, or indeed any other MER provider?

Thanks in advance.
      This was done on the 1841 as i tested it with my 877 and you cant configure option 61 on layer 2
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

Jussie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry for the late response, I've not tested on an 877 yet, not had time as yet. I would try using this type of config, might need some sort of tweaking. The existing configuration will work if you have a router with a layer 3 interface.

Only problem I have come across is that when you apply an IOS firewall to the outside interface, after a while the WAN interface loses it's IP address. I'm assuming this is due to the server dhcp lease times and the firewall blocking the inbound requests or ack's. Going to have to do some deny ip any any log-input on the inbound ACL.

interface vlan 99
      description WAN Interface
      mac-address <Wan port mac address>
      ip dhcp client client-id hex <option 61 username|password in hex>
      ip dhcp client class-id hex <option 60 in hex>
      ip dhcp client lease 365 0 0
      ip address dhcp
      ip nat outside
      ip virtual-reassembly

int fastethernet 0
      switchport mode access
      switchport access vlan 99

You may have to apply the WAN mac to the physical interface.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jussie For This Useful Post:

mac326a (16-01-13)

mac326a is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jussie View Post
      Sorry for the late response, I've not tested on an 877 yet, not had time as yet. I would try using this type of config, might need some sort of tweaking. The existing configuration will work if you have a router with a layer 3 interface.

Only problem I have come across is that when you apply an IOS firewall to the outside interface, after a while the WAN interface loses it's IP address. I'm assuming this is due to the server dhcp lease times and the firewall blocking the inbound requests or ack's. Going to have to do some deny ip any any log-input on the inbound ACL.

You may have to apply the WAN mac to the physical interface.
      Thanks for getting back to us Jussie, now me with a very late reply I havent yet tried this - I will though. As for the DHCP renewal requests being blocked, I believe the client (your router) is responsible for requesting a lease renewal (not the server) and will initiate the connection to perform this, therefore there should be no initial inbound initiation of lease renewal traffic from the server. In this case I should have thought that there would be no problem with traversing the firewall as it has originated from your 'side' of it, and return traffic based on that connection should be allowed?... and since you already managed to successfully obtain an IP address in the first place via DHCP, it doesnt make too much sense that the f/w would block lease renewal as it is part of the same protocol definition allowed via f/w. Destination port (from client) is 67, and dest port from server to client is 68 - maybe check those. Or depending on how you have set up the CBAC (IOS) firewall, if you have just specified those ports in the rule base, try using Cisco's key word DHCP isntead, and that should fixup all the necessary fangles associated with teh protocol. Racking my brains though (been a while) I also seem to remember in the IOS f/w there is a keyword to reflect traffic originating from the router itself, rather than coming in from a partiular interface - you add this to the CBAC f/w rule config line for each relevant service - thats also worth a try.

Good luck. Will also update when i get some time to try the 877W, although work and my wife's desire for some painting and decorating is certainly placing extra demands on my time :P

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I want a Cisco router now as I am a full time Network Engineer and am properly back on the exams (passed CCNA: Security the other week, now doing CCNP: Security )

1841's work, eh? Wonder if I can get away with one of those under the TV? I doubt it. (That's where my router lives.) Maybe I could get it routed to my office first then run a second ethernet cable back downstairs to service the items under the TV...)

Jussie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I know it's been a long time, thought i'd bump this post, this is working on an 1841 routed port, wasn't able to get it to work properly using an 877 VLAN interface.

Next attempt will be to get an 887VA and remove the piece of **** Huawei white box, might not be as easy but i'm hoping it will just mean a transfer of existing configuration on my 1841.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12