Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all! Just thought I'd write this to help anyone else who might want to use the RT-N56U on its ...

jamiepedder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

Hi all!

Just thought I'd write this to help anyone else who might want to use the RT-N56U on its own rather than having to use the Sagem or other Sky router as well. This is for the Sky Fibre service.

Firstly you need to install the custom firmware from here:
      RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006_newgui.zip - rt-n56u - RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006 (en-ru). New WebGUI. - ASUS RT-N56U custom firmware - Google Project Hosting=

Once that is installed, configure your wireless etc how you want it and get everything plugged in. Internet won't work right now, so we need to get it up and running.

Go here to find out your sky login details:
      Sky Broadband Password Calculator - pH-Mb

Once you have the details, you need to create a text string from them like this: '<username>|<password>', obviously without quotes and replacing the username and password with your details. Don't forget to put a '|' imbetween the username and password. Once you have that string, head here and convert it to hex:
      Convert String To Hexadecimal Online

Copy the hex string and keep it safe. Now head into the router config at http://192.168.1.1 and login, go to Administration, then Console. In the text box type the following:
      /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string> replacing <hex string> with the long string you just created.

Once you have typed that in, press enter or hit the blue refresh button on that page. In a few seconds, you should then get a green tick on WAN and have internet access.

Hope this was useful, took me ages to get this sorted. This page helped a great deal: MER - PH-Mb Wiki
      Last edited by jamiepedder; 01-09-12 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Looked messy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamiepedder For This Useful Post:

guitarnut (30-11-12),Zaim123 (16-01-13)

3. Advertisement
      guitarnut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-N56U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

Thanks that worked great, nice to have got rid of the Sagem!

bhazeland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks looks like a great router, have been looking for a new router and am seriously considering the Asus.

markjay11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamiepedder View Post
      Hi all!

Just thought I'd write this to help anyone else who might want to use the RT-N56U on its own rather than having to use the Sagem or other Sky router as well. This is for the Sky Fibre service.

RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006_newgui.zip - rt-n56u - RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006 (en-ru). New WebGUI. - ASUS RT-N56U custom firmware - Google Project Hosting=

Once that is installed, configure your wireless etc how you want it and get everything plugged in. Internet won't work right now, so we need to get it up and running.

Once you have the details, you need to create a text string from them like this: '<username>|<password>', obviously without quotes and replacing the username and password with your details. Don't forget to put a '|' imbetween the username and password. Once you have that string, head here and convert it to hex:

Copy the hex string and keep it safe. Now head into the router config at http://192.168.1.1 and login, go to Administration, then Console. In the text box type the following:
      /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string> replacing <hex string> with the long string you just created.

Once you have typed that in, press enter or hit the blue refresh button on that page. In a few seconds, you should then get a green tick on WAN and have internet access.

Hope this was useful, took me ages to get this sorted. This page helped a great deal: MER - PH-Mb Wiki
      hi i was just wondering if this method works for broadband or is it fibre only? Having problems getting rid of the terrible sagem

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This router does not have a modem so it is not possible to connect it direct to the Internet on ADSL, you need an ADSL router. This is probably the nearest ADSL equivalent to the RT-N56u-
      ASUS DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamiepedder View Post
      Hi all!

Thanks Jamie, great work. It also works on the latest 3+ Padavan firmware too.

Do you know if this survives a power reset?

Thanks

Help!

just purchased a RT-N65U and got to the stage where I enter /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string>
      but when i press enter i get the following message:

udhcpc: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device

I did try eth0 to eth5 to no avail. Looks like the 65U router needs a slightly different string anyone here any ideas please.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhazeland View Post
      Help!

just purchased a RT-N65U and got to the stage where I enter /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string>
      but when i press enter i get the following message:

udhcpc: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device

I did try eth0 to eth5 to no avail. Looks like the 65U router needs a slightly different string anyone here any ideas please.

Try the command

ifconfig

it should show you the interfaces on the system , some call it brX or vlanX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Try the command

ifconfig

it should show you the interfaces on the system , some call it brX or vlanX
      Thanks for that looks like it uses br0.

However still no success when /sbin/udhcpc -i br0 -x 0x3d:<hex string> is entered at least I do not get any error message.

The guide does not state which WAN connection type to use as there is no mer option. Options listed are: IPoE,IPoE,PPPoE,PPTP and L2TP.

Any other ideas gratefully recvd.

Thanks

after reading the info at MER - PH-Mb Wiki I typed ps into the console and looked for udhcpc. I could then see that in the command line it referred to eth2.2.

Using this has now got me connected just hope it stays connected.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast