Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This was an excellent guide. Very helpful. Editing the script using PuTTY and VI was a little more complex than ...

rm010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

This was an excellent guide. Very helpful. Editing the script using PuTTY and VI was a little more complex than I first expected but a quick Google or 2 sorted things out nicely. If I make an "idiots summary" the steps would be as follows:

1) Install PuTTY, you can get this from here
      2) Logon to your router through your browser and enable Telnet access
      3) Open a Telnet connection using PuTTY, remember to change the connection type to Telnet
      4) Make the modifications
      4a) Type "cd /etc/storage" to navigate to the script location
      4b) Type "vi started_script.sh" to edit the script
      4c) Press the Insert button on your keyboard (this allows you to make insertions into the script)
      4d) Paste in the command "/sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string>" replacing <hex string> with the hex that you have calculated mapping to your username and login on a blank line
      4e) Press the Escape button on your keyboard
      4f) Type ":wq" and you have now saved the changes to the script
      5) Type "mtd_storage.sh save", this completes the changes
      6) Type "reboot" if you want to test whether or not your changes have worked properly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rm010 For This Useful Post:

markm9 (01-10-14)

3. Advertisement
      Normid2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum so apologies upfront for my inexperience. I having problems trying to get my RT-N56U to work as a standalone Router with Sky fibre unlimited. I have upgraded the firmware to Padavan 3.0.3.8-081 then followed the instructions from the start of this thread but can not get the Internet to connect. When I enter the text with my hex code in the console section my router freezes up. Please help !!!!!!!

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: SKY fibre max
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Hi Normid,

I am currently using this router, to sky fibre, with no issues, using padavan firmware can i first ask is your router connected to bt modem?
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

Thanks
      Yes it is, my setup is from the socket on the wall to the BT Openreach modem, from LAN 1 to the WAN port on the RT-N56U then from a LAN port to my PC.

Thanks

Normid, when i set up my asus rt-n56u, i turned my BT Modem off for approx 20 mins, i then uploaded latest padavan firmware; https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/, once this was flashed onto my router, i then completed a factory re-set of the router held reset button in on side of router until power light flashed on, then set up my router with wireless settings etc.., at this point my router was not connected to the modem, once i had set my wireless settings etc up on the router, i turned on my modem and waited until this had established a connection, i then connected my router to modem, as you have done, logged into router and input the following into the console of my router, to get to console, click on advanced settings/ administration/ console;

/sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:123456789123456789124567891234567891234567891 2345678912

i then copied my hex string after that as above( not my hex code), then clicked on refresh, and left router for approx. 10 mins to get connection, once established under network maps should be a green tick on globe symbol.
      Last edited by markm9; 25-09-14 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Also here is a screen shot of asus router page using padavan version3.0.3.8-081;

Sky Fibre using  Asus RT-N56U as router-asus-rt-n56u.jpg

Also screen shot of where to input/sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:123456789123456789124567891234567891234567891 2345678912

Sky Fibre using  Asus RT-N56U as router-console.jpg
      Last edited by markm9; 25-09-14 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added extra

Thanks

Afternoon markm9,
      Sorry for the late reply I have been trying out what you said might work but to no avail, after I input the code into the console & press refresh my router still freezes. I must be doing something wrong somewhere!?!?
      This is what I did from the start:-
      I obtained my Sky password & username from my Sky Hub SR101 by using Wireshark, I then removed the = from the start of it & was left with something like this 2b1ke349smu0@skydsl38904hjr (not my real password/username). I then put this into the convert string to Hexadecimal converter from the link at the start of this thread which gave me a 56 character Hex code. I then downloaded the Padavan Firmware RT-N56U_3.0.3.8-081_dlna.trx from the list (this was the firmware another thread suggested was the right one?) I followed the instructions from your post & put my Hex code (with a space between) & pressed refresh then waited but nothing happened after 10 mins, that's when I noticed the time had stopped on the router screen.
      I hope the above might show where I'm going wrong & thank you for all the help you have given so far.

Thanks
      Evening markm9,

I've tried several times using the instructions you outlined in your post but my Router still freezes. I did reply to your post on Saturday afternoon but it doesn't seem to of been posted for some reason?

Thanks

Hi Normid,

I guess you have latest Padavan firmware installed onto router, when you say router freezes, is this aftre you have input details into router's console gui

If you click on network map, and on globe type image, my connection type is IPoE: Automatic IP, when i originally tried set up i set this to PPPOE, this caused my router to freeze.

Thanks
      Markm9, yes I have the latest firmware version installed (3.0.3.8-081) I installed the _dlna.trx file, I'd read in a different thread that that was the one I would need, is this correct? I also used wireshark to get my password/username then I imputed this in minus the = into the converter link at start of thread which gave me my hex string. I then inserted this with a space before it after the command line you said to key in the console command line on the router. Hope this is of help?
      Many thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast