Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by bhazeland after reading the info at MER - PH-Mb Wiki I typed ps into the console and ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

Quote Originally Posted by bhazeland View Post
      after reading the info at MER - PH-Mb Wiki I typed ps into the console and looked for udhcpc. I could then see that in the command line it referred to eth2.2.

Using this has now got me connected just hope it stays connected.
      That's the reason for now I've returned to the multiple NAT option with the Sky box in there first; I don't think this method would survive a reset.

I'm using Padavan's firmware and they are on the case to add options 60 & 61 to the relevant setup so it will be remembered.

However, at present all is well, and the only overall benefit will be the removal of an extra box and I'll save a few bob a year!

2. Advertisement
      jamiepedder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry not been on the forum for a while, and decided I'd play around with the new 3.0.3.1 firmware from http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ myself. I never power cycle the router usually so wasn't too bothered, but now interested in seeing if I can put the command in a script somewhere that survives a power reset at least. As already noted, the command I used initially is different, and you should use the interface called eth2.2 rather than eth3. Wish I'd come here first before tinkering, I would have found that out sooner...cheers guys! I'll post on here if I have any success with the script idea.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have found some template scripts in /etc/storage: start_script, started_script, post_wan_script, post_iptables_script & vpns_client_script. However, when I add the 2 lines to any of them and reboot the router, it doesn't reconnect until I put the commands in manually. Does anyone know if these startup scripts work, or of a way to test them? (like making it print something to the log so that I can see if its even running the scripts). Cheers in advance.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, eureka. I found a command called logger which allowed me to log events to the system log in the router. I added logger commands into start_script, and started_script making sure the event logged would tell me which script it had come from. The start_script log never appeared, however the started_script log did. I then reverted both scripts back to their normal states, then edited started_script with my commands from the start of this post (with the Ethernet device name change and dropping the '-s /tmp/udhcpc' off the end). Rebooted the router, and it connected straight away with no issues. So, what you have to do to recap is log in via TelNet then type in 'cd /etc/storage'. Use 'vi' to edit the started_script file and add in the commands (you can copy and paste from notepad, click the little logo on the top left of the telnet window, then edit, then paste). Then reboot the router by typing in 'reboot'. Should reconnect with no further messing! A factory reset will probably wipe this, as will firmware updates. [Note: When the router reboots, and the lights have settled, it takes a few seconds longer before the connection kicks in...it does work though, power cycled several times now and reconnected every time]

bhazeland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamiepedder View Post
      Ok, eureka. I found a command called logger which allowed me to log events to the system log in the router. I added logger commands into start_script, and started_script making sure the event logged would tell me which script it had come from. The start_script log never appeared, however the started_script log did. I then reverted both scripts back to their normal states, then edited started_script with my commands from the start of this post (with the Ethernet device name change and dropping the '-s /tmp/udhcpc' off the end). Rebooted the router, and it connected straight away with no issues. So, what you have to do to recap is log in via TelNet then type in 'cd /etc/storage'. Use 'vi' to edit the started_script file and add in the commands (you can copy and paste from notepad, click the little logo on the top left of the telnet window, then edit, then paste). Then reboot the router by typing in 'reboot'. Should reconnect with no further messing! A factory reset will probably wipe this, as will firmware updates. [Note: When the router reboots, and the lights have settled, it takes a few seconds longer before the connection kicks in...it does work though, power cycled several times now and reconnected every time]
      Looks really interesting but feel I am a little out of my depth here.
      I have managed to telnet into the router, changed directory and started vi with the started_script file as below.

/home/root # cd /etc/storage
      /etc/storage # vi started_script.sh
      #!/bin/sh

### Custom user script
      ### Called after router started and network is ready

~
      ~

Could you possibly tell me what you put into the file, what command to save in a simple step by step. my command line is /sbin/udhcpc -i eth2.2 -x 0x3d:<hex string>

EDIT

Found my mistake I was typing vi started_script inserting my line and then entering command mode and saving by using :wq

The problem was I should have been opening started_script.sh note the .sh after script by omitting the .sh I was creating a new file which had no effect when booting.

All working fine now after reboots many thanks for getting me in the right area.
      Last edited by bhazeland; 13-12-12 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky Fibre using Asus RT-N56U as router

Quote Originally Posted by jamiepedder View Post
      Again excellent work... my linux is rusty to say the least!

Did the post_wan_script not get called? I would have logically thought that would be the one.

#!/bin/sh

### Custom user script
      ### Called after internal WAN up/down action
      ### $1 - WAN action (up/down)
      ### $2 - WAN interface name (e.g. eth3 or ppp0)

I assume we would call our udhcp client when the the WAN interface comes up, or does the udhcp client stay resident once started?

I think I've just answered my own question by looking up the command params for udhcp, the -q flag forces quit, without it then resident it should stay.

Anyway... well done, and hopefully it won't be too long before we see the option 61 settings in padavan's firmware.

Merry Christmas!

Zaim123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this, I have the same router and plan on moving to Sky Fibre Pro once its available (31st March... hopefully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaim123 View Post
      Thanks for this, I have the same router and plan on moving to Sky Fibre Pro once its available (31st March... hopefully)
      Still working fine here, Padavan has just updated the firmware, but as yet no Option 61 in the WAN setup; however Jamie's script addition is doing the job without any problems.

Ianh2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Springburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for this topic, I am looking to get this router to replace my Sky hub as I find the wireless to be terrible. For example on my Iphone 5 it refuses to go above 20mb/s. My sister has BT fiber and on the homehub I find it can go to 35mb/s no problem.

Can anyone post here the steps needed to use this for Sky fiber? I know how to get my username and password but from reading the newer posts it would seem that the way you enter these details into the router has changed ie to get the details to stay after a reboot etc?

Thanks

Edit: Really what I am trying to ask I think is has option 61 been added yet or can anyone confirm after converting my username and password what edits I need to make to /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -x 0x3d:<hex string> to get it to stay after reboots etc?
      Last edited by Ianh2010; 29-04-13 at 11:13 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a quick note to add some further information - since I updated to the latest custom firmware, the device name has changed to eth3, as other users have noted. I changed my command line to reflect this and I'm back up and running.

I then edited my started_script.sh, and restarted the router. It did not reconnect until I put the commands in manually again via telnet (or the admin console in the router config). I then found that after I've edited startup_script.sh, you need to follow that with the command:
      mtd_storage.sh save

This saves the script properly, and on subsequent reboots the router reconnects fine. Run this command after you've saved your script, do not add this into the script!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiepedder For This Useful Post:

rm010 (29-07-13)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast