Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Angel_Rex I will also transfer a file and check the average speed, can you suggest a good ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I will also transfer a file and check the average speed, can you suggest a good tool to track speed across lan?
      I tend to use Windows Task Manager to give me some kind of indication as to the transfer speed over my LAN. Windows 7 also shows the transfer speed when copying files through the Windows Explorer tool.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

well with some cheap ebuyer 85mb powerline adapters im lucky to get 10mb through them and 39mb hard wired so they will go in the bin

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      9. The PL-1000M's seem to have an issue updating their ARP/Forwarding table, therefore They are NOT recommended for connecting devices that may move about the network, for instance connecting a 2nd Wi-Fi AP via these adapters is not possible since as soon as the connected device switches AP it will lose it's ability to send data across the powerline link
      I installed the firmware found here

Solwise 1 Gig powerline adapter - NET-PL-1000M

Whilst it fixes the issue It does also seem to make them slower (Probably because of the notched out frequencies)

Edit: 1/12/2012 - If you actually want the PL-1000M's to work properly then try Aztech HL280e firmware 224.2.2-023 (http://www.aztech.com/support/index.php/homeplug/hl280e) But it probably will void your warranty as this isn't official Solwise firmware. Seems the PL-1000M's are just rebranded Aztec adaptors
      Last edited by dragon2611; 01-12-12 at 11:06 PM.

LarryDavid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peacehaven
      Router:
      Thanks

Just thought I'd add a tuppence worth to this.

I also had problems with 85mbps homeplugs after my fibre setup. The thing is, its not usually a problem with 'compatibility' to fibre (it's just ethernet after all), its that a user may not realise how bad their homeplug speed is across their particular mains circuit. Often, it is good enough to support the speed they get on ADSL, but not on vDSL.

In my case, I noticed I was only getting speedtest of about 8 - 9mbit through the homeplug, whereas the direct wired laptop was fine. Previously my 8 to 9 mbit DSL connection seemed OK through it, as it would.

After some diagnostics I confirmed the problem was the basic throughput of the adaptors (peaking at 10mbit at best, averaging around 7), and thus binned them, going back to wireless.

For anyone interested, the tool I used is NetStress NetStress Network Benchmarking Tool -- Nuts About Nets | Developers of Wireless Diagnostic Tools

You really need availability of two ethernet connectable machines to do this. Plug one machine into each homeplug and run the software on each, and you can see what the true throughput of your homeplugs are.
      Scubbie and dragon2611 like this.

mike m is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne Kent
      Broadband ISP: Slow 3 mb download at present
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All,

Happy Christmas & New Year,

I noticed your comments with interest, and I'd just thought I would put my comments in.

Firstly I was advised by mt BT Openreach engineer to install homeplug, I used the
      Netgear AV nono Adapter kit XAVB2102 which is connected from my openreach fibre router installed by BT
      to the Sky Router (SR101) white.

The Speed is the same at the BT router to the Sky router weather the routers are connected via Cat6 45 cable or the homeplug. Because like me I there seems to be some confusion, thinking that this of the cause of my slow speed.

I hope this helps

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryDavid View Post
      For anyone interested, the tool I used is NetStress NetStress Network Benchmarking Tool -- Nuts About Nets | Developers of Wireless Diagnostic Tools

You really need availability of two ethernet connectable machines to do this. Plug one machine into each homeplug and run the software on each, and you can see what the true throughput of your homeplugs are.
      Hmm will have to try and remember to give that a try, currently tend to use Jperf/IPerf.

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

All those tools are engineered for Windows. I use Linux instead which is much faster than Windows.
      On Saturday i bought a pair of 500 Mbps homeplugs bearing the name TP-Link from Maplin's for 40.
      I have had bad problems over the past 2 years getting any wi-fi b/band signal in my bedroom. These plugs have at last given me a fantastic signal with no more drop-outs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      All those tools are engineered for Windows. I use Linux instead which is much faster than Windows.
      On Saturday i bought a pair of 500 Mbps homeplugs bearing the name TP-Link from Maplin's for 40.
      I have had bad problems over the past 2 years getting any wi-fi b/band signal in my bedroom. These plugs have at last given me a fantastic signal with no more drop-outs.
      xjperf - Graphical frontend for IPERF written in Java - Google Project Hosting

or just use IPerf itself if you're happy to work in the command line/would rather avoid the mess that is Java.

Haggistech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa
      Thanks

I bought these yesterday

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9126291.htm

plugged on in upstairs beside the router and the other downstairs next to the laptop and get the same speed as if i wasplugged directly into the router
      Last edited by Isitme; 26-03-13 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Corrected link

Haggistech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa
      Thanks

on the back of my previous post

now that my router has settled at 35mb download i get around 25mb still on the homeplugs so losing about 10mb

the router itself plugged in directly gives a ping of 20ms the homeplugs between 30 and 40

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast