Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Like Tree6Likes

HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if I am going a little off topic but I seem to have discovered an incompatibility between the Power ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre

Apologies if I am going a little off topic but I seem to have discovered an incompatibility between the Power Packet utility supplied with Homeplugs and the Sky SR102 Hub. I have requested help in a thread in the Sky Broadband Help forum here.

Although the Homeplugs work fine to link my Sky Hub to a Sky+HD box on the other side of the room, the Power Packet utility cannot "see" the Homeplugs at all since installing the new Hub. For the record, the speed displayed when the utility was last working with a Netgear router was 146mbps on 200mbps Homeplugs.

UPDATE:

Just found a new version of the utility online: TRENDnet Powerline Utility v6.0.0.0 Build002 which has installed over the original PP utility and which works with the SR102 hub. It sees both HomePlugs and shows a connection speed of 139mbps. Problem solved.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 03-01-15 at 12:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      biltonl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi

I have had the same issue after moving to SKY fibre. Fingers crossed I have also solved it......time will tell......

My Devolo plugs (1 master, 1 ethernet only for SKY+ box/PS3, 3 x wifi) worked perfectly for a year on non fibre (max speed 14Mbps). As soon as I switched to fibre, I had speed issues (max 22Mbps wired / 2Mbps wifi) and the internet kept dropping, sometimes as much as every 5 minutes. I also could not get On Demand to work on my SKY+ box.

BT Openreach have been and resolved the speed issue (changed master socket and new cable) and I now get 40Mbps direct from the router which is the max I can get for the distance I am from the cabinet but they said whenever the SKY router was plugged in they would get upload errors almost constantly. With all the Devolos plugged in, I barely got 2Mbps over wifi and it kept dropping out. I tried unplugging/replugging, checked for software updates etc. rebooted router, all the things I could think of.

Searching the internet, I read something about EM interference & fibre/high speeds. By plugging my SKY router power lead into an extension real, instead of on the wall next to the master Devolo, both issues disappeared. It was only about a metre away from the Devolo (since the Devolo has to connect to the router, they can only be so far apart).

I have 4 sockets on the wall and I tried the Devolo far left and SKY router far right (about 20cm apart) but the issues came back.

I now have the SKY router plugged into a remote controlled surge gang that I have all my office equipment plugged into and it is about 1.5m from the Devolo master and I have no issues and max speed and little loss over wifi/Devolo.

Now, whether this is an interference issue or a an issue with the wiring in my flat/those sockets, I do not know and it would not surprise me if it was the latter. I just know that "separating" the plugs resolved things for me and switching to fibre caused the issue to arise.

Addendum - I contacted Devolo to explain that since moving to fibre I have had issues. They told me to move the router away from the Devolo and also to change the cable, although they said to change to a crossover cable which I already have. What I have decided to do is change my CAT5e cables to CAT6a cables which are suitable for higher speeds.

L
      Last edited by biltonl; 21-01-16 at 09:47 AM.
      Isitme likes this.

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biltonl View Post
      Addendum - I contacted Devolo to explain that since moving to fibre I have had issues. They told me to move the router away from the Devolo and also to change the cable, although they said to change to a crossover cable which I already have. What I have decided to do is change my CAT5e cables to CAT6a cables which are suitable for higher speeds.
      Sounds to me like they are giving you wrong advice here or someone is mixing up their terms somewhere, I think that when they said crossover cable that they meant twisted pair and were talking not about the Ethernet portion at all but the telephone cable/telephone extension leads for the router. All Ethernet cable (at least all cat5 or better Ethernet cable so anything from recent decades) is twisted pair due to it's crosstalk immunity, phone cables and extensions however especially cheaper ones are frequently straight through versions that are much more sensitive to interference of all kinds.

Crossover cable on the other hand is an Ethernet cable that has been wired differently to swap the transmit and receive pairs on each end of the cable, this used to be necessary with ancient Ethernet cards in order to permit a direct NIC - NIC connection between two computers without a switch/hub in the middle. These days it's effectively been made obsolete by the advent of Ethernet auto-negotiation and auto sensing ports will automatically self configure themselves appropriately for whatever device is on the other end regardless of the cable in the middle.

As for the RJ-11 (phone cable) then twisted pair should ideally be used for VDSL connections, the difference might be pretty insignificant for cable lengths bellow 1m but if using extension cords or longer cables the crosstalk effect will be more noticeable. This is similarly true of shorter lengths in the presence of a large number of devices, cables or particularly EMI unfriendly devices in close proximity (Powerline networking, Power over Ethernet, Cordless phones, Microwave Ovens, Mobile Phones in particular) can have a pretty detrimental effect on VDSL if even a fairly short non twisted RJ-11 cable passes in close proximity.

I know it's like a month later but perhaps might be of value to you still and/or to others with issues.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213