Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Install 12th June

This is a discussion on Install 12th June within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; New install due on tuesday - router came this morning so all good to go for the engineer visit, however ...

SAFC2403 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Install 12th June

New install due on tuesday - router came this morning so all good to go for the engineer visit, however i've got a couple of questions that maybe some of you that have already had installs can answer.

I know there is going to be 2 boxes installed. Is this going to change to a one box solution at some point in the future?? Just its an extra device to power and cable.

Also i've read about the BT engineer can move NTE box if we require. My house is only a couple of years old and has the NTE box on the outside of the house and a standard extension plate on the inside. Will they be fitting a new faceplate inside the house? Also i'd like this box moving approx 6-8 feet to the left so it's more in the corner of the room and also a lot closer to a power source. Is this something the BT engineer will do or will they do the usual "not my job" type answer??

Cheers in advance and now looking forward to having a decent connection at last as my current sky ADSL is about 3 mb and the sky check thing reckons i'll get nearly the full 40MB!!

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Install 12th June

Welcome to the club.

I doubt there will be a one box solution, the modem is owned by BT and the router is yours, but used for Sky.

Engineer can move NTE, yes. They fit a new faceplate, power up the BTO modem and plug it in and test the line.

peteg4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Hi had mine fitted a couple of days ago a very simple affair really he puts a new facia on your pocket box where it comes in then stop a wire to where ever you prefer your router to sit (up to 100) metres away makes no odds and installs another socket and a white modem then plugs your router into that total 30 mins in our case went from 2mb to 25 mb depending how far you are away from your cabinet on the street ,your router stat will tell you your getting 40 mb but I believe that is what it syncs at ?

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Welcome to the club.

I doubt there will be a one box solution, the modem is owned by BT and the router is yours, but used for Sky.

Engineer can move NTE, yes. They fit a new faceplate, power up the BTO modem and plug it in and test the line.
      I have a Billion 8200N VDSL2 router which I am planning to use when Billion start testing their Sky firmware for it.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteg4 View Post
      Hi had mine fitted a couple of days ago a very simple affair really he puts a new facia on your pocket box where it comes in then stop a wire to where ever you prefer your router to sit (up to 100) metres away makes no odds and installs another socket and a white modem then plugs your router into that total 30 mins in our case went from 2mb to 25 mb depending how far you are away from your cabinet on the street ,your router stat will tell you your getting 40 mb but I believe that is what it syncs at ?
      My cab is about 500m down the road - like a sad act i've been out looking for it!!!

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

the extra box costs 2-3p a year to run in electric. Don't fret!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well all installed yesterday and got a helpful BT engineer!! He moved my bt box without any issues and got everything connected up. He even insisted on connecting my sky router to make sure it was all working even though he said he didnt have to!! Must have been the cuppa i made him that kept him sweet!!

Anyway did a speed test and got 37 down and 1.7 up. BIG difference from the 2.5 -3 i was getting before!!!

One last thing. I now have a ADSL router from sky which I was going to just use for the additional 4 ports - i think it's made by netgear but looks like a little sky box - is there a netgear firmware knocking about that i could flash to it to get rid of the sky firmware??

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Thanks

As far as I know its a Sagem and unlike the netgear and DGTeam firmware you cannot use a specific firmware. It has to have some sort of special fibre software so you are unable to use any other router in place of it unless its a Billion 7800n as mentioned on here. However you can use another router to distribute your wireless part if thats what you are after!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      As far as I know its a Sagem and unlike the netgear and DGTeam firmware you cannot use a specific firmware. It has to have some sort of special fibre software so you are unable to use any other router in place of it unless its a Billion 7800n as mentioned on here. However you can use another router to distribute your wireless part if thats what you are after!
      It was the old SKY ADSL modem(netgear DG934 i think) which i've now flashed to the official netgear firmware. I'm going to use this as a bridge wifi so i can get wifi right through the house across 3 floors!!

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Thanks

Nice - did that with a Buffalo Nfiniti for my grandson with DD Wrt but only just realised I could have turned up the power output to increase wifi. Ah well it works fine for him so that's all that matters. I am sure one of my netgear routers has client bridge stuff. Have just been reading Scubbies comments on the netgear DND 3700 now 3800 and the wifi output. I am not much bothered at that unless summer turns up and I could sit in the back garden with my laptop. The remote client bridge is an excellent idea!