Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Fibre and 3rd Party Router - working fine

This is a discussion on Fibre and 3rd Party Router - working fine within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What is the benefit with changing to another type of router, is Skys really that bad??...

barriead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: King Henry St Portsmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fibre and 3rd Party Router - working fine

What is the benefit with changing to another type of router, is Skys really that bad??

2. Advertisement
      HK2401 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

the wifi on my old router is alot better then the sky wifi , my master socket is in the loft , so it's quite difficult to get good wifi , i already have 2 assess points. That's why it would be nice to use my own router instead of having a cluttered desk full of 3 routers and 1 modem.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barriead View Post
      What is the benefit with changing to another type of router, is Skys really that bad??
      As a stable working router, the Sky Routers tend to be quite good. They are simple to set up and plug in and will generally maintain a good connection. Sure some PSUs have been know to fail, but this isn't unheard of.

For those of us who wish to get a little more from their network and Internet connection, then the Sky router starts to get a little short on abilities.

HK2401 has mentioned the WiFi. This can be really important for those who use WiFi a lot and transfers lots of files, i.e. streaming video content or working on projects with large files. Compared to all Sky's previous routers the signal in stronger and the maximum of 144mbps is far better than 108mbps (DG834GT), 72mbps (2304n) or 54mbps (all the rest). However with many WiFi N adaptors being supplied with Laptops working at 150mbps on a paired channel, they only work at 72mbps on the Sagem 2504N. The router I use works at up to 300mbps on both the crowded 2.4GHz channels and the much quieter 5GHz channels. There are some which will work at up to 450mbps and the latest support 1.3Gbits/s.

As for LAN speed, sorry but 100mbps for a new router is not good when many others are now being shipped with 1Gbit LAN ports.

Then we come to the biggest bug bear of all for many members on here: GUI (Graphic User Interface)

For most people, the GUI is more than sufficient. You can change the passwords and SSID, for example. When it comes to other features though, it really is locked down and reacts very slowly. A lot of members complain about port forwarding issues, allocating IP Addresses for specific computers, lack of support for QoS and so many other features which are available on so many other routers today.

Many other routers also have features such as: Parental Controls; USB port for an external drive/USB stick and/or a printer; Guest Network; email the log; WiFi repeating function; IPv6; Traffic Meter; VPN between routers and the ability to change the DNS server.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

barriead (27-05-12)

HK2401 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I tried again to follow the DD WRT telnet command and I think my problem is my sky password contains 2 forwad slashes "/" so the sh command tells me it does not recognise the command. Out of curiosity does a sky password contain symbols like / or is my password and maybe username wrong ?

I tried to retrieve the password from the sky router backup file but could not find the username and password so I used one of the websites here -ph website.

Has anyone managed to actually use a non sky router with the DD WRT telnet interface successfully

EDIT: mission accomplished
      Last edited by HK2401; 29-05-12 at 08:16 PM.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HK2401 View Post
      I tried again to follow the DD WRT telnet command and I think my problem is my sky password contains 2 forwad slashes "/" so the sh command tells me it does not recognise the command. Out of curiosity does a sky password contain symbols like / or is my password and maybe username wrong ?

I tried to retrieve the password from the sky router backup file but could not find the username and password so I used one of the websites here -ph website.

Has anyone managed to actually use a non sky router with the DD WRT telnet interface successfully

EDIT: mission accomplished
      Try Encapsulating it in quotes so it ends up being "username@skydsl|password"

garpunkal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Sky TV: Humax
      Thanks

do you need to clone the sky routers MAC address on the 3rd Router? so Sky are unaware you are using a third party router?

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

its usefull to clone the address as it stops you IP chaning if u connect the sky router up at any point

sky does not seem to care, they know I use a 3rd party router, and have another FTTC modem that I unlocked.

Only had one sky person question me on it and she was just looking for a reason to be difficult.

she had to accept that I had at the moment the sky router and modem connected.

But I been quite visible about using a 3rd party router

Brutos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clapton/Hackney
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Thanks

So will this work with any third party fiber router once you have the username and password..

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brutos View Post
      So will this work with any third party fiber router once you have the username and password..
      the router needs to be capable of having DD-WRT installed. here is the device list

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

just di huge amount of testing an it was commented on that the speed test results with the dd wrt buffalo outperformed the sky routers

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast