Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By Laprion
    • 2 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By nicke1

Fibre Speed Quesion Wireless v Wired

This is a discussion on Fibre Speed Quesion Wireless v Wired within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had Sky fibre installed on Friday (seems the 27th was a popular date!!). Router is syncing at 39999 ...

nicke1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Albans
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fibre Speed Quesion Wireless v Wired

Hi,

I had Sky fibre installed on Friday (seems the 27th was a popular date!!).

Router is syncing at 39999 and 1997.

I've ran a number of speed tests (speedtest.net) and consistently get around the following:

Laptop (wireless N) = 37.65 Mbps

Desktop (wired) = 31-32 Mbps

Both machines have Windows 7. The desktop is connected using a Billion 200 Mbps Homeplug. The homeplug software reports that it is connected at 130 Mbps.

Is the speed difference likely because the Homeplug is lying to me? Are the homeplugs capping the speed? Do the homeplugs really transfer that much more slower than they report?

Or could something else explain the speed discrepencies?

Thanks
      Nick

2. Advertisement
      Mattyjkuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fibre Speed Quesion Wireless v Wired

I know home plugs are susceptible to interference, so it could be down to that. Try the laptop directly connected to the router and see what speed you get then

Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

My homeplugs reached 30Mbps max while reporting 80-130Mbps. I would say Homeplugs, 200Mbps reach a max of 30Mbps pretty much. Hence I've replaced my Homeplugs with Wireless N as I transfer data across my networks so Homeplugs were slowing that down, a lot, especially my Network hard drive.

Homeplugs are great for internet upto 30Mbps.
      For networking or faster than 30Mbps, you can use homeplug 500, homeplug 1gigabit, either of which I wont be doing, or use Wireless N and Ethernet. I've gone off Homeplugs because of the bottlenecking

Laprion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBT
      Broadband ISP: SBUF From 1st May
      Thanks

i donno how homeplugs work do they use the house wiring if so if it and old house old wiring that could play a factor have you tried connecting the laptop to the router directly too (use it wired direct to the router and use it with the homeplug see if theres a diffence there) if its high with the home plugs the problem could be on your computer
      Zino_Jones likes this.

01 May, 2012 09:49:39 37888 Kbps 1644 Kbps

old
      [URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923444745.png[/URL]
      Sky User Speed Tester - 30 April, 2012 08:54:22 - 2176 Kbps - 637 Kbps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyjkuk View Post
      I know home plugs are susceptible to interference, so it could be down to that. Try the laptop directly connected to the router and see what speed you get then
      Laptop directly connected to the router gets the same as wireless, i.e. a pretty consistent 37.68.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino_Jones View Post
      My homeplugs reached 30Mbps max while reporting 80-130Mbps. I would say Homeplugs, 200Mbps reach a max of 30Mbps pretty much. Hence I've replaced my Homeplugs with Wireless N as I transfer data across my networks so Homeplugs were slowing that down, a lot, especially my Network hard drive.

Homeplugs are great for internet upto 30Mbps.
      For networking or faster than 30Mbps, you can use homeplug 500, homeplug 1gigabit, either of which I wont be doing, or use Wireless N and Ethernet. I've gone off Homeplugs because of the bottlenecking
      Wow, that's significantly lower than advertised headline speed. It would make sense then that the homeplugs are my bottleneck.

I just read a quick review of a 500Mbps homeplug and it maxed the transfer rate at around 100Mbps, better than what I need now but still only 20% of advertised. That review was conducted on the same ring wire, new electrics, connected directly to the socket (no extension) so pretty much ideal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laprion View Post
      i donno how homeplugs work do they use the house wiring if so if it and old house old wiring that could play a factor have you tried connecting the laptop to the router directly too (use it wired direct to the router and use it with the homeplug see if theres a diffence there) if its high with the home plugs the problem could be on your computer
      Will try laptop wired to the homeplug, this should conclude if it's the homeplug. Then I guess I need to either upgrade to the 500Mbps plugs or get a wireless N card for the PC.

Cheers
      Nick

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Thanks

I have a pair of TP-Link 200Mbps homeplugs which was recommended by Scubbie and I'm getting an excellent 37Mbps speed from them. So I'm potentially only losing 1 meg.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As much as it would be nice to take credit, there can often be factors outside our control which can affect the performance of HomePlugs.

It is often suggested that old electrical wiring can reduce their performance. Also consider extensions, interference from a neighbours electrical device and perhaps even their HomePlugs.

It is possible that a neighbour may have some older HomePlugs with a slower speed. These can affect the performance of yours.

Also many people, including myself, are in the habit of using 4-way extensions with Surge-protection. If a HomePlug were connected in one of these, then this too will affect their performance.

I recall the experiences of one member who had moved into a new property as well. The previous own had installed several spur-extensions. He got a very poor performance on those extensions, but it was much improved on the extension which they came off.

Another member I recall accidentally managed to connect to a neighbour's router because both sets of HomePlugs weren't correctly paired and configured to prevent this. This demonstrated that their signal is not always confined within your home.

P.S. All the above will be true for both HomePlugs and PowerLine Adapters. Although they use systems that are not compatible between each other, the general rules of interference are applicable to both standards.
      dankargo and Zino_Jones like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quick update.

I ordered a pair of 500Mbps Billion Homeplugs.

Set-up now as follows:-

Router -> Homeplug500
      Desktop -> Homeplug500
      Popcorn A100 -> Homeplug200
      Sky Box -> Homeplug 200

On the desktop my speed tests now max out at the same as the wireless N, i.e. 37-38 Mbps.

With 200Mbps plugs a file copy from laptop connected to router to desktop maxed out at 3.6MBps.

With 500Mpbs plugs file copy maxes now at 5.8MBps.

So a definite speed improvement but clearly no where near the advertised headline speeds.

At least the plugs are not serving as a bottleneck now.

Nick
      Scubbie likes this.