Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky don't want to give me SBUF

This is a discussion on Sky don't want to give me SBUF within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just come off the phone from Sky after trying to place an order with them to upgrade my ...

chintz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky don't want to give me SBUF

I have just come off the phone from Sky after trying to place an order with them to upgrade my Sky Unlimited Broadband to SBUF since Sunday, but they kept getting an error. My number used to be a Telewest (now Virgin Media) number almost 10 years ago, since then it's been transferred to BT and I've had Sky Line Rental for a few years. Their system throws up an error saying it can't use an ex-cable number for SBUF.

Finally got through to the Fibre team and they tried to place my order again and I was told that as the service is so new they will not be able to use ex-cable numbers till about July!

So they have advised me to try and place the order online nearer to July when their new fibre ordering systems launches tomorrow through My Sky instead of having to phone them to find out.

So disappointed! :-(

Has anyone else come across this problem?

2. Advertisement
      jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky don't want to give me SBUF

hmmmm...thats what you get for jumping from different companies?? maybe? sorry...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chintz View Post
      I have just come off the phone from Sky after trying to place an order with them to upgrade my Sky Unlimited Broadband to SBUF since Sunday, but they kept getting an error. My number used to be a Telewest (now Virgin Media) number almost 10 years ago, since then it's been transferred to BT and I've had Sky Line Rental for a few years. Their system throws up an error saying it can't use an ex-cable number for SBUF.

Finally got through to the Fibre team and they tried to place my order again and I was told that as the service is so new they will not be able to use ex-cable numbers till about July!

So they have advised me to try and place the order online nearer to July when their new fibre ordering systems launches tomorrow through My Sky instead of having to phone them to find out.

So disappointed! :-(

Has anyone else come across this problem?
      not as far as i know. some more info though if you have it.

when you had your phone with telewest (virgin) did you have their cable broadband as well?
      when you moved your line rental to BT did they install a new phone line? the reason i ask is VM have their own telephony network and install their own master socket in your house

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      hmmmm...thats what you get for jumping from different companies?? maybe? sorry...
      not a helpful comment, people have the right to move companies if they wish
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Yes I had telewest/blueyonder Broadband as well, I forgot to mention I had Tiscali Broadband between Virgin and BT.

They did install a new phone line, the old Virgin one is disconnected and not in use. We had a BT master socket put in and now we pay Sky for our line rental.

The adviser said that as my telephone number used to be a cable number and that they own the number that's why the system does not like it. I asked why they didn't have problems when I changed to ADSL and between ADSL providers. They said that it doesn't affect ADSL connections, just their new SBUF service.

I don't think this is a reasonable explanation as when I check my speed on samknows.com or on BT wholsale's site or BT infinity's site, it recognises it as a BT number and gives me my speed estimates.

Thanks

Yes I had telewest/blueyonder Broadband as well, I forgot to mention I had Tiscali Broadband between Virgin and BT.

They did install a new phone line, the old Virgin one is disconnected and not in use. We had a BT master socket put in and now we pay Sky for our line rental.

The adviser said that as my telephone number used to be a cable number and that they own the number that's why the system does not like it. I asked why they didn't have problems when I changed to ADSL and between ADSL providers. They said that it doesn't affect ADSL connections, just their new SBUF service.

I don't think this is a reasonable explanation as when I check my speed on samknows.com or on BT wholsale's site or BT infinity's site, it recognises it as a BT number and gives me my speed estimates.
      ok, if the checker recognises your number as a BT number then maybe you are not on SVBN (Sky Voice and Broadband Network), I'm not 100% sure though, I'm sure someone else could confirm. SVBN is a requirement for SBUF.

could you do a tracert to bbc.co.uk and post the results, remove the first 2 ip addresses though
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Thanks

I'll get back to you on the tracert, I'm working in London and won't be able to access my home network until Saturday!

Thanks

I just pinged my home IP address and it gave me the following:

7 be2.er11.thlon.ov.easynet.net (195.66.224.43) 31.826 ms 31.476 ms 31.389 ms
      8 ip-84-38-37-23.easynet.co.uk (84.38.37.23) 33.578 ms 33.863 ms 32.947 ms
      9 cr0.cmgreb.uk.easynet.net (87.87.249.203) 33.970 ms 35.231 ms 36.069 ms

Does easynet show that I'm not on SVBN
      Last edited by chintz; 12-04-12 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Removed my works IP

Thanks

I just pinged my home IP address and it gave me the following:

7 be2.er11.thlon.ov.easynet.net (195.66.224.43) 31.826 ms 31.476 ms 31.389 ms
      8 ip-84-38-37-23.easynet.co.uk (84.38.37.23) 33.578 ms 33.863 ms 32.947 ms
      9 cr0.cmgreb.uk.easynet.net (87.87.249.203) 33.970 ms 35.231 ms 36.069 ms

Does easynet show that I'm not on SVBN
      its possible yes, hope someone else can clarify

Thanks