Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Fibre Install (involves drilling, switches, CAT5e and a very helpful BTO engineer)

This is a discussion on My Fibre Install (involves drilling, switches, CAT5e and a very helpful BTO engineer) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by andrewjr possible solution, if i have read everything right. solution: move new sagecomm router to room with ...

bhavinshah88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity FTTP
      Router: TP-Link Archer C9
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: My Fibre Install (involves drilling, switches, CAT5e and a very helpful BTO engin

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      possible solution, if i have read everything right.

solution:

move new sagecomm router to room with modem connect with cat5 to port 1. next connect cat5 from router to switch. switch to ps3, tv, sky box.

if you need wireless to cover areas that can't be covered by new router add 2nd router in bridge mode.
      You're right that is an alternative. Any benefit to using an actual switch instead of a router in bridge mode (aside from saving on cost)?

2. Advertisement
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: My Fibre Install (involves drilling, switches, CAT5e and a very helpful BTO engin

Quote Originally Posted by bhavinshah88 View Post
      Yeah I understand that...but the problem is, where the modem is there's only 1 CAT5e cable up to the router. So yeah I can connect the modem directly to the router, the issue is getting a network connection all the way back down to the same location as the modem because that's where the PS3 and Sky+ box is.

So I'm proposing that I just stick a homeplug behind the Sky+ box and use that - since this should mean modem -> router -> homeplug -> electrical wiring -> homeplug -> switch -> Sky+ box, PS3, TV

(As you can tell, we have a ridiculous state of affairs with our wiring lol...all because of the bloody master socket being in the garage).
      You could avoid this by leaving the Sagem router next to the Modem. Connect your AV equipment directly to the Sagem router and that 1 cable that goes up to the loft. Site the Switch in the loft and connect the other bedrooms. You don't need to worry about getting the signal back down to the lounge.

EDIT. I'm assuming the modem and switch are currently located behind the TV/STB?

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Thanks
      You're right that is an alternative. Any benefit to using an actual switch instead of a router in bridge mode (aside from saving on cost)?
      Ok, do what fazedup said.

With regards to the 2nd router I was assuming you had a spare from your previous Internet connection. If you do you could locate this in another room where you need to extend the wifi signal and connect it to the switch.

Obviously to do connect your av equipment to the new router you will need to buy some more cat5e cable, unless you have spare then just make your own up to length. A crimp/prep tool and rj45 connectors can be found on amazon for under 15

RJ45 Crimp Tool

RJ45 connectors

Cat5e Cable
      Last edited by andrewjr; 19-03-12 at 11:02 PM.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

bhavinshah88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity FTTP
      Router: TP-Link Archer C9
      Thanks

Yep I see exactly what you guys mean.

Definitely makes more sense to have the modem and router together behind the TV/PS3, then put the switch at the top for everything else. I guess at the back of my mind I was trying to minimise clutter behind the TV...not for aesthetic reasons but because it's unbelievably crowded with so many wires.

Got plenty of CAT5e cables so shouldn't have too much trouble there.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hopefully the rest of my walkthrough is helpful - primarily the part about not being able to relocate a master socket due to (undocumented) daisy-chaining!

Interestingly, the engineer did say I shouldn't have bothered with both phone extensions and CAT5e around the house. He said I should have just had the master go into the loft into a patch panel and used CAT5e for the phone and network. Remember reading about this at the time of the renovation of our house but didn't have the know-how or influence over parents to do it!

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Thanks
      Yep I see exactly what you guys mean.

Definitely makes more sense to have the modem and router together behind the TV/PS3, then put the switch at the top for everything else. I guess at the back of my mind I was trying to minimise clutter behind the TV...not for aesthetic reasons but because it's unbelievably crowded with so many wires.

Got plenty of CAT5e cables so shouldn't have too much trouble there.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hopefully the rest of my walkthrough is helpful - primarily the part about not being able to relocate a master socket due to (undocumented) daisy-chaining!

Interestingly, the engineer did say I shouldn't have bothered with both phone extensions and CAT5e around the house. He said I should have just had the master go into the loft into a patch panel and used CAT5e for the phone and network. Remember reading about this at the time of the renovation of our house but didn't have the know-how or influence over parents to do it!
      No problem, my av unit is just as bad with tv, Xbox, ps3, sky box, blu-ray player, av receiver and a switch/router all connected behind it. Wires everywhere!!!
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12