Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)

This is a discussion on Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dpb I'm not sure we are all talking the same with reference to extensions etc - I ...

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
      I'm not sure we are all talking the same with reference to extensions etc - I posted this on 01/03/12 and was a little surprised I had no comments made :
      "First off Installation - we have master socket by front door & 2 'hard-wired' extensions i.e when house built approx 4 yrs ago. I had call from wife to say engineer had been to house and just popped back to cabinet to connect up. To my surprise, he had installed modem / new socket faceplate etc in lounge 'extension' behind the tv. I was a bit concerned and asked if he could call me when back at house. He did, and was really friendly / helpful and said no problem with using this socket because it was wired direct from master and was 'full size' whatever that means ?"

As you can see from my speed test results - not bad for 700m from cabinet and connected to what was an internal 'extension'
      I think that helps me ... possibly.

I have no wires visibly coming out of my master socket (other than the phone cable that goes to the phone - via a filter - obviously). If I remove the faceplate of the master socket, then one of the many wires connected to the board goes off into the wall in a different direction to all the other wires and, presumably, comes out at a faceplate in my study (at the far end of the house). My current Sky router is plugged directly into the study faceplate.

This seems, to me, to be a totally different type of extension to the 'usual' kit yo'd buy from B&Q which plugs into the front of the master socket.

Does that sound like your setup ?

2. Advertisement
      dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Adam - that is the same as my master socket. I have 2 'extensions' one in lounge and one in bedroom.
      BTO engineer fitted new faceplate on lounge location and away we went. Modem fixed on wall behind tv, connected to sky route (sat on top of hd box) ethernet from router to hd box - anytime+ flying downloads !

Hope this helps

Mattyjkuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet extension from master socket (TIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What I am not sure about is whether Sky has agreed to pay any additional fees or whether we, their customers, will be billed. What I have described above has been used by BTO with other ISPs. Some may waive the costs, others may pass them on.
      When Sky called me regarding Sky Fibre, one of the questions I asked was would the Data Extension Kit be extra or is it included in the installation, the lady replied that this would be included in the installation at no extra cost as the 50 installation that they normally charge covers this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattyjkuk For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (09-03-12)

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
      Adam - that is the same as my master socket. I have 2 'extensions' one in lounge and one in bedroom.
      BTO engineer fitted new faceplate on lounge location and away we went. Modem fixed on wall behind tv, connected to sky route (sat on top of hd box) ethernet from router to hd box - anytime+ flying downloads !

Hope this helps
      Thanks dpb - that does help and has eased my worries a lot.

Not that Sky have phoned me up yet

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

I guess it depends on the type of cable that is used for the extensions, the normal diy type of home extension cabling that you would buy from local hardware store to fit your own extensions is apparently not capable of handling the higher speeds of VDSL hence the modem having to plug into the master socket or BTO fititng an extension using the appropriate cabling.

If however your setup already has professionally installed extensions within the walls then its probable that this is done using higher grade cable that is ok and will most likely terminate at a full size flush fitting that can take the SSFP needed for the modem to connect to unlike most peoples diy extensions that will prob terminate in the small little surface mount boxes that would not be able to have the SSFP fitted to it.

TAACHESTER is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: barnsley
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Im hoping someone can help me with this setup,Im getting installed on 23rd.My router isnt next to master socket as there is no power there,its connected with a 10m commtel s-ftp super high speed modem cable (hidden under floor) directly to master socket.
      what im wondering would this cable work if connected to bto modem from master socket.i would rather not have to have the data extension as from what ive read the bto engineer will not drill holes and def not run under floor,which will leave me with a wire running around about 15m of skirting and 2 door frames(wife not be pleased).
      Any advise much appreciated

p.s if could be used do you think engineer would use it
      Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)-speedtest.jpg

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,218 Times in 2,087 Posts

When the BTO Engineer arrives, you will have the pleasure of his company for up to an hour to get things resolved.

One idea would be for you to check that you have your own drill and suitable bits to hand so that you can make a suitable hole in the wall. The same with your existing cable, have it to hand.

Much of this debate is speculation and as Ipster has posted in another thread, much depends on the individual on the day.

I am guilty of reminding people that BTO have refused to drill holes in the past. Thing can change though, nothing is set in cast concrete, and even that can be knocked down.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

TAACHESTER (12-03-12)

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      When the BTO Engineer arrives, you will have the pleasure of his company for up to an hour to get things resolved.
      From the extract that was posted, I know that's the official line.

The engineer who visited me, only did VDSL installs. Aparently, he'd had an accident a few years ago and wasn't allowed to climb telegraph poles due to having plates in his leg.

Anyway, his target was 4 installs per day. He also said he rarely goes over this target, but frequently goes under!

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAACHESTER View Post
      Im hoping someone can help me with this setup,Im getting installed on 23rd.My router isnt next to master socket as there is no power there,its connected with a 10m commtel s-ftp super high speed modem cable (hidden under floor) directly to master socket.
      what im wondering would this cable work if connected to bto modem from master socket.i would rather not have to have the data extension as from what ive read the bto engineer will not drill holes and def not run under floor,which will leave me with a wire running around about 15m of skirting and 2 door frames(wife not be pleased).
      Any advise much appreciated

p.s if could be used do you think engineer would use it
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPEEDTEST.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	2981
      If I were in your position, i'd use your existing modem cable as it's already nicely hidden under floor. Check with the engineer but i'm sure it's up to spec.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

TAACHESTER (12-03-12)

TAACHESTER is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: barnsley
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      If I were in your position, i'd use your existing modem cable as it's already nicely hidden under floor. Check with the engineer but i'm sure it's up to spec.
      Thanks for reply,I managed to get in to local comp shop were i got cable from,He said somebody else had been in a few weeks back with same question so he had been in touch with commtel and they advised him that the cable would run in excess of 80/20 fttc.
      So fingers crossed bto engineer will use it,will do what Scubbie suggests though have drill ready just incase and be ready to drill holes for him(hope get a good engineer)

Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)-speedtest.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast