Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

What does the 50 charge cover?

This is a discussion on What does the 50 charge cover? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There's plenty of rumours, that Sky will up the upload speed, when launched, and the trial etc is to see ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: What does the 50 charge cover?

There's plenty of rumours, that Sky will up the upload speed, when launched, and the trial etc is to see if the takeup is there and so on.

Technically, I guess it is just a piece of software that would change the speeds at the click of a mouse.

No concrete information, but we all know Sky don't do things by half. If they can nick customers off BT and VM then you can be sure they will do so.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In the mean time I still don't have any dates available for when I may be able to get SBUF.
      I feel your pain. I remeber waiting nearly 5 years for my exchange to make the jump from ADSL to DSL Max. Stuck with a 512kb connection whilst everyone else was raving about their (upto)8meg connections!

Chin up!

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      There's plenty of rumours, that Sky will up the upload speed, when launched, and the trial etc is to see if the takeup is there and so on.
      Now this I believe. Whilst they didn't guarantee it, the Rep from the Trial team said that they will almost certainly be upping both the upload and download speeds, to keep in line with their competitors.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      Now this I believe. Whilst they didn't guarantee it, the Rep from the Trial team said that they will almost certainly be upping both the upload and download speeds, to keep in line with their competitors.

Sky haven't spent millions to be behind their competitors. The 2 meg upload is a smoke screen imo - Keep them guessing.

There were rumours and chatter, that Sky didn't think that that many people would go for it, hence the low start off point.

However, I don't know anyone who would not pay 20 a month for their new product, as advertised.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

There were rumours and chatter, that Sky didn't think that that many people would go for it, hence the low start off point.

However, I don't know anyone who would not pay 20 a month for their new product, as advertised.
      I guess there are 2 schools of thought here.

Personally, I think it's an absolute steal at that price, many of my peers would agree too.

However, I can see why Sky may have questioned the viability of Fibre.
      IMO, The actual percentage of Sky BB customers who are diehards and demand nothing less than the absolute maximum speeds possible, or for whatever reason, need an extremely fast connection, is pretty small. I'd take a guess at 15-20% of their customer base, max.

The vast majority of users don't actually 'need' a 40meg connection, and I would suspect are quite happy with paying 7.50 a month, or indeed free, in some cases. This in itself is an unbelievably good deal.

So, I can kind of see why Sky may have thought it would be difficult to sell in great quantity, a 20 pm product to customers who are happy to pay 7.50 for a service that already suits them.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Exactly, the suits are not convinced that people need it.

EDIT: Probably why they are offering free connection to those trialling it.
      fazedup likes this.

Thanks

EDIT: Probably why they are offering free connection to those trialling it.
      I tend to think, if you're participating in a trial, you're also doing the company a favour, so certain expenses are normally waived.

Exactly, the suits are not convinced that people need it.
      Then ignore my ramblings, If anybody from Sky is reading, well all want Fibre.....even my granny. At 7.50 per month please!
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^^ Just wish we could publish PMs etc
      Angel_Rex likes this.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      It looks like the engineer will be installing a faceplate on your master socket, which will have two connections on it. One will be the standard phone connection, which is the same line that will be used for any telephone extensions in the house (which, as it will be pre-filtered at the master socket, will no longer need to have filters fitted - although apparently it does no harm to leave them in); the other seems to be an ethernet connection, looking at the diagrams supplied on https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/d...%20%283%29.pdf that Moxey posted earlier
      The BTO engineer removed the old NTE5 plate and installed a new one with BT openreach printed on it. the next part that goes on is what the RJ11 cable goes into then the smaller bottom halve is what phone lead goes into (the extension wires are kroned on the back of this part) then its all screwed in place.

here are a couple of quick photos that i took, 1 with the 2 NTE5's next to each other and the 3 parts of the new VDSL filtered one. sorry no rear photos as i only did this quick as they told me to now power off or disconnect anything for 10 days

AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewjr For This Useful Post:

fazedup (25-02-12),Moxey (25-02-12)

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As I said in one of the other threads I expect the 50 to be waived at launch aswell. BT are doing free installation and half price for 3 months, sky launching a product with lower up speeds, an installtion fee and no discount for any period of time is a tough sell no matter what way you slice it.

It isn't a deal breaker for me either way, I know what BT do and i've managed to resist them so far, but for sky to compete they need a sweeter deal for their adverts.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast