Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree17Likes

Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please note that this it is the intention to continue to update this FAQ periodically, but perhaps less often than ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ

Please note that this it is the intention to continue to update this FAQ periodically, but perhaps less often than was done initially. Please contact one of the staff if there is an important update required or a glaring error. Prices are subject to change and there are correct as of June 2012.

What about free Wi-Fi?

Sky launched its public Wi-Fi service, powered by The Cloud on 12th April. This will provide Sky Broadband Unlimited customers with free access to more than 10,000 hotspots across the UK. Available in venues such as Caffe Nero, Pizza Express and Wagamama, Sky customers will enjoy seamless and convenient access to public WiFi. This will prove particularly valuable for customers who access Sky content on the go, with high quality wireless delivering an even better experience for Sky Go and Sky’s other video-rich applications.

Sky Fibre Unlimited FAQ

Basics

1. What is Sky Fibre Unlimited & Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro?
      2. What is FTTC?
      3. When will Sky Fibre Unlimited become available?
      4. How much will it cost?
      5. How do I find out if Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) is available where I live?

Terms & Conditions

6. Is there any traffic shaping/management, capping for downloading or uploading too much, or a Fair Usage Policy (FUP)?
      7. How long will it take to install from date of ordering?
      8. If the £50 installation only includes fitting a new faceplate - and I already have a compatible faceplate, can that installation fee be waived?
      9. Will there be a 12/18/24 month contract?
      10. Is there a "cooling off" period?
      11 .How much would it cost to break that contract?
      12. What happens if I sign up, but then move home?
      13. I have recently joined Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Broadband Home Lite and want to 14. move across to Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) before my 12 months have completed. Can I do this?
      14. What happens if Sky Fibre Unlimited is installed but then doesn't provide any/a substantial increase in speed?
      15. What happens if FTTP has been installed, would it classed as the same product?
      16. If Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) has been installed, would I be able to have additional cable from the cabinet to my property installed or for the copper cable to be replaced with Fibre all the way?
      17. I currently have an FTTC connection with another ISP, can I simply move across to Sky Fibre Unlimited?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Performance

18. What sort of speeds can we expect? How to check?
      19. What happens if my speed is a lot lower than expected/suggested?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Equipment

20. What sort of equipment will be provided? New router, faceplate, cables?
      21. What will I require at home for installation?
      22. What are the specifications of the Sky router supplied for the Sky Fibre Unlimited & Pro products?
      23. Can I use my own non-Sky router?

Your local environment

24. If I’m currently only on Sky Connect, can I get Sky Fibre Unlimited or Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro?
      25. Are there any changes I will need to make to my current network/house/computer setup? (for example, HomePlugs, wireless connections, etc)
      26. Will HomePlugs or PowerLine Adaptors work with my Sky Fibre Unlimited or Pro connection?
      27. Can I connect the Modem to my telephone Extension?
      28. My Master Socket is in a place where there is no power or is likely to be damaged by passing family members, will the BTO Engineer move it?

The Future for Sky Fibre

29. Would there be an intention to eventually replace all the copper from exchange to the property?
      30. Is there an intention to increase the speed of the connection in the future to match BT Openreach/Virgin
      31. Are there any plans to use Sky routers as Cloud Hotspots, like BT does with the BT Openzone and BTFON on the HomeHubs?

Acknowledgements

Last edited by Scubbie; 14-07-12 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Update the FAQ

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ

Answers

The Basics

1. What is Sky Fibre Unlimited & Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro?

Essentially it is another service that can deliver a connection to the Internet to your home using your copper telephone line. Sky Fibre Unlimited (SFU) is based upon a technology called Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).

There are other Fibre based products being researched and Sky may adopt these technologies in due course.

2. What is FTTC?

Your older ADSL connection uses just the same copper wires that your telephone uses. FTTC uses a mixture of both the same copper wires and new fibre optic cables. These Fibre Optic cables run from the telephone exchange to a new street cabinet near to your home.

BT Openreach (BTO) has been installing equipment across the country over the past few years. This includes new street cabinets, fibre optic cables and new equipment in these street cabinets and the telephone exchanges.

With ADSL those people who live close to the telephone exchange get blistering speeds (up to 24Mb/s with ADSL2+). Those who live further from a telephone exchange get slower speeds, with those who are 3 or 4 miles away often getting less than 1Mb/s connections.

FTTC allows the faster broadband signals to be delivered to the cabinet, where it is then passed onto the shorter copper cable to your home from the cabinet to your home. This means that it doesn’t matter so much where your exchange is, but more how close the nearest Fibre enabled cabinet is to your home as speeds will drop the further you are away from the cabinet.

Currently BTO offers the following speed bands for FTTC:

1. Up to 40MB down & 2MB up (40/2)
      2. Up to 40MB down & 10MB up (40/10)
      3. Up to 80MB down & 20MB up (80/20)

Since Sky are using BTO’s infrastructure, SFU is based upon the first product, but Sky are trialling the other speeds with various groups of people and it is expected that these will be offered in due course. Sky is also trialling FTTP and we hope that this will be launched in 2012 or 2013. Currently BT can offer this product with a connection speed of around 100mb down and 15mb up. This will be increased later to 330mb down and 30mb up.

From July 2012 Sky has been increasing the upload speed from ‘up to’ 2mb to ‘up to’ 10mb for the SFU product. Please keep an eye on the forums for the latest information on this.

3. When will Sky Fibre Unlimited become available?

The Launch date for SFU was initially 12th April 2012, although this was later postponed for a day, making the new launch date 13th April 2012.

On 31st January 2012 BSkyB announced that SFU would become available from April 2012. We are aware that under some specific criteria some people were being offered SFU before this date.

However from the beginning of February if you had previously registered your interest on Sky’s site for a trial, and your address can have SFU (see answer #5 below), then Sky had started contacting some people to invite them to subscribe to SFU.

4. How much will it cost?

SFU will initially cost £20 per month, provided that you also subscribe to Sky TV. This will be in place of any other Sky broadband package that you have. Since new Sky Broadband customers have to have Sky Talk included, you should also add £14.50 for the line rental too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro (SFUP) at this time costs £30 per month. Again you will also need to have Sky Talk which costs an additional £14.50 per month for the line rental. Currently SFUP can only be ordered on the telephone.

It will cost £50 for a standard set-up/installation. Wireless router self-set up required otherwise £30 extra. Sky Talk calls packages £0-5 a month. A compatible line is required for Sky Talk otherwise connection charge from £39 may apply. 12 month minimum subscriptions apply.

SFU will be made available to anyone who has a Sky TV subscription, but there will be an additional charge. A figure of £2.25 has been mentioned, however, this has yet to be offered.

Sky may do promotional packages in due course, but any details are not currently available and will be subject to changes and terms and conditions. Essentially keep an eye on the forum and any advertising through places like Sky & Quidco. Also please keep an eye on the section of out forum where offers may be advertised from time to time:

Offers

Please remember that these prices are subject to change by BSkyB and have been posted correctly as at the time this FAQ was posted. We will periodically update this FAQ but the prices may have changed between updates.

5. How do I find out if Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) is available where I live?

Sky has integrated a checker into their order system. If you navigate to the Sky website there are currently two ways to check what is available for you. At the time of launch the checker was buggy. If you get a negative answer, please read the alternative method below and check the forums for advice.

1. Log in to your account on the Sky website and check the upgrade option in the My Sky section
      2. Don’t log in to your Sky account and check the Sky Shop using your telephone number or home address

Navigate to: Sky Broadband and Talk - Broadband and Wireless Offers - Upgrade Online

Click the button ‘Line Checker’ and see what your predicted connection speed might be. If SFU is available, then you will see an option for it listed. If you get the message ‘You already have Sky Broadband and Sky Talk, if you want to make changes to your products online, any available options are displayed below’ then try logging out of your My Sky account and check the process by using your home address instead if you are sure FTTC products are available to your home.

There are some reports on the forum regarding the porting of telephone numbers. Particularly currently a number that was originally issued by VM may not be used on SFU. Reports indicate that an agreement should be resolved during the summer (June/July).

Should the above process fail, then here is a summary of what you need to have available:
      1. Sky’s LLU Equipment installed in your telephone exchange which supports a Fibre connection (currently not all do)
      2. BT Openreach’s FTTC Equipment installed in your local telephone exchange
      3. A BTO Street Cabinet that has the FTTC equipment within reach of your home

To find out this, please navigate to the following web sites and their respective pages:

SamKnows Telephone Exchange Search: This page can show whether your exchange has either FTTC or FTTP (it currently does not distinguish between the two) and whether or not you have Sky’s LLU Equipment. Just put in your details as required to find your local exchange. This site can also give you a guide as to when you can expect to get their Fibre in your telephone exchange, if it is not already available. If BTO has not announced a date, then it will not provide one for you.

Please note: If you already have Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Broadband Home Lite, then you do have Sky’s LLU equipment in your local telephone exchange. The Sky equipment may need to be upgraded to allow a link between the BTO FTTC equipment in the exchange. If you are in this situation a friendly call to Sky may help to provide a date when it will be completed, but generally Sky does reveal this information.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

BT Openreach - When and where? This page will show you the specific information for your telephone exchange with regards to what Fibre product will be made available and if it is available or when it will be available. The Interactive map is very useful to help to see how your exchange fits in and is updated regularly.

Please take a look at the Excel & PDF links too. If your exchange is not listed in them, then there is no information publicly available at present.

Once you know which, if any, your exchange will be listed in, you can quickly search the relevant document to find whether you will have FTTC or FTTP or both in your local exchange. Remember the Sky Broadband Unlimited is a FTTC based product.

Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when

BT Infinity – We know that it is a little cheeky, but until Sky creates a web page, please feel free to use this page to see what your potential speed will be. Just click on the “Can I get BT Infinity” button and fill in the relevant details.

BT Infinity – super fast broadband with a fibre optic internet connection

Terms and Conditions

6. Is there any traffic shaping/management, capping for downloading or uploading too much, or a Fair Usage Policy (FUP)?

None whatsoever, just like the Sky Broadband Unlimited package, Sky has no intentions to curtail your enjoyment on this product.

Sky does subscribe to some sites which monitor other sites that may host unsuitable material. When a rogue site is reported, that site is then blocked to all Sky subscribers, as well as other ISPs across the UK. The Internet Watch Foundation is one such site (Report child sexual abuse content to the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)).

Occasionally access to individual sites can be down through other reasons too. For example a server may be down or one of several links between Sky and the Internet may have become broken. It is always worth checking on the forum in the Sky Broadband Service Status section and also on Sky’s own website. Failing those, check recent threads and post a new one yourself if you are still struggling.

7. How long will it take to install from date of ordering?

You will be advised of this when ordering. Typical times will be discussed in due course on the forum. Anything from 10 days to 2 months can be expected, but most should be within three weeks.

8. If the £50 installation only includes fitting a new faceplate - and I already have a compatible faceplate, can that installation fee be waived?

It would cover all the above, including the cost of paying for the BTO Engineer to perform the work. FTTC requires more time to install than ADSL does. If you have a filtered faceplate already fitted for your ADSL connection, then it could be compatible with an FTTC connection, but the responsibility of BTO now extends to include the BTO Modem and the filtered faceplate will need to be to their approval. Should you wish to fit your own BTO approved filtered faceplate or replace a damaged one, there one available to purchase now. This faceplate is compatible with both ADSL & FTTC:

BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

The BT Openreach Engineer will also complete work in the street cabinet.

9. Will there be a 12/18/24 month contract?

Both SFU & SFUP are subject to a 12 month contract.

10. Is there a "cooling off" period?

There will be a cooling off period. The specific details are being sought, but under UK law you will be protected by rules governing distance selling and also the connection should provide a minimum speed. If Sky is unable to get you connected at the minimum speed, then you can cancel within 3 months of being connected and under Ofcom rules you will have no penalty. You may however be expected to return the BTO Modem and Sky router.

11. How much would it cost to break that contract?

This will vary on a case by case basis. It is advised that you contact Sky to ask about your individual circumstances.

12. What happens if I sign up, but then move home whilst in contract?

There is a set of guidelines that Sky have in cases like this. It may be possible to transfer you to SFU at the new address or perhaps to consider placing you on Sky Broadband Unlimited, for example. As each move can be caused by a different set of circumstances and where you are moving to may or may not be covered by Sky, it is recommended that you contact Sky to find out what is available in your specific set of circumstances.

13. I have recently joined Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Broadband Home Lite and want to move across to Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) before my 12 months have completed. Can I do this?

Sky has been allowing people to transfer mid-term for the trial. It is expected that it will be seen as an upgrade and people will continue to be able to upgrade to a Sky Fibre product, but there may be a small charge incurred, such as you may need to pay the installation fee.

14. What happens if Sky Fibre Unlimited is installed but then doesn't provide any/a substantial increase in speed?

Contract terms need to be confirmed. Some companies charge for early cancellation of FTTC or request a payment for the work performed.

15. What happens if FTTP has been installed, would it classed as the same product?

SFU & SFUP are based upon using FTTC. FTTC and FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) are different products. FTTP is also known as FTTH (Fibre to the Home) and can potentially provide a connection speed of up to 1Gbit/s. Not all areas that have FTTP can currently supply this connection speed though.

At this stage it is not known when Sky will adopt FTTP, but it is being trialled in South Harrow.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 06-11-12 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Updated the Early FAQs and added a few more

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

Cookie (02-02-12),Restorer (03-02-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

16. If Sky Fibre Unlimited (or SFUP) has been installed, would I be able to have additional cable from the cabinet to my property installed or for the copper cable to be replaced with Fibre all the way?

Normally you would only have one broadband connection. If you want to have a second connection, then it is standard practise to charge for the additional telephone line to be installed.
      SFU & SFUP are based upon FTTC technology. This means that the cable from the cabinet to your home will be copper, not Fibre Optic.

If your copper cable is faulty, then BTO have a contract with Sky to maintain this and you would need to contact Sky (your Line Provider) in order for this to be repaired. This is the same process used for ADSL connections.

There is however a process where BT has started to roll out Fibre from the street cabinet to your home to enable people to upgrade from an FTTC service to FTTP. At the time of writing this is in its early stages and should you want this, then the initial costs are somewhere in the region of £1-2,000. These costs should drop where trials are occurring. This is not currently a Sky product.

17. I currently have a FTTC connection with another ISP, can I simply move across to Sky Fibre Unlimited?

Part of the Terms and conditions of BTO accepting the funding from the Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) is that they allow other ISPs access to the infrastructure. So provided that you meet the others conditions (i.e. Sky’s LLU equipment is present in your local telephone exchange), there should be no issues.

Obviously you should be out-of-contract when doing this or your old ISP may charge you for leaving early. As for connection charges, this will need to be confirmed when you place the order with Sky.
      There alternative companies who have been installing Fibre products. At this stage it is unlikely that Sky will be using their services, but they may come to some arrangement at some future date.

At this stage there are no agreements to allow someone to simply migrate from a rival Fibre product to Sky. As we understand it you will need to cancel your existing connection before you can join Sky. Check this with Sky before taking any action. The result is that you could be without any Broadband and landline for a few weeks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Performance

18. What sort of speeds can we expect? How to check?

SFU is currently being marketed as an “up to” 40Mb/s product. In practice this means that you can get anything from BTO’s minimum of 15Mb/s to the full 40Mb/s. The speed specifically depends on how far you are from the street cabinet which houses the Fibre equipment.

The upload speed was around 2Mb/s. From July 2012 Sky has been increasing this to 'up to' 10Mb/s.

SFUP is an “up to 80Mb/s” product. Again what you actually get will vary between 15Mb/s and 80Mb/s. The Upload will also be increased to “up to” 20Mb/s.

Please remember that these speeds are the maximum that Sky will provide. Sky will confirm what your potential connection speed before you confirm your Sky Fibre order.

In most cases the BTO Engineer can advise you what your line is currently capable of. If you have SFU installed this information will give you some idea as what you may expect should you switch to SFUP later. In practise most people on a 40/2 or 40/10 product are capped at those speeds as their line may be able to support a faster connection speed.

Members have found that as more people are connected to FTTC in their local cabinet, their maximum connection speeds have dropped a little. This is due to interference from the higher signals and the closeness of the copper cables between the cabinets.

Your actual connection speeds can be seen by viewing the connection stats on the Modem. Instructions for doing this will follow. Alternatively please feel free to use the Speed tester on this site as it doesn’t suffer as much as the speed testers available across the rest of the Internet from being used.

Before ordering, the BTO Speed checker (see answer #5 for a link to BT’s speed predictor) can provide an estimate of the connection speed to your home.

It is normal practise for Sky to provide you with an estimated speed when you order an ADSL product. We would guess that this will be the same for SFU.

Details on hacking the BT Openreach Modem are here: Huawei HG612 Hacking

19. What happens if my speed is a lot lower than expected/suggested?

With ADSL connections (i.e. Sky Broadband Unlimited, Home Lite and Connect) you have 3 months to cancel without penalty if the speed is less than what was suggested. You should allow Sky suitable opportunity to get the issue repaired before taking this option.

This will also be the case with SFU & SFUP. You may be expected to return the BTO Modem and Sky router, so please do not throw away the packaging or sell them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Equipment

20. What sort of equipment will be provided? New router, faceplate, cables?

The specific details will come in due course. However the following is supplied as a matter of course to subscribers of other FTTC packages with rival ISPs:
      • BT Openreach FTTC Modem (delivered and installed in person by the BT Openreach Installation Engineer)
      • Sagemcom Path F@ST 2504N (aka Sagem 2504N) with a modified firmware to allow it to connect via the BT Openreach Modem, instead of the ADSL socket. As from 18th October 2012 all new orders should now be supplied with the Sky Hub SR101
      • Cable to link the Modem to the socket on the filtered faceplate
      • A 1.5m Ethernet cable to link the Modem with the Router (Note: If this is too short, you can replace it with a longer Cat 5e Ethernet cable of your choice up to 100m long. If you are running the Cat 5e cable behind the wall, then Shielded Cat 5e would be recommended provided that it is correctly earthed at both ends. Cat 6 would be a little over the top)
      • A 2nd 1.5m Ethernet cable to connect your router to a computer or other network device
      • PSUs for the Modem & Router (one each)
      • If required the BTO Engineer will fit a new NTE5 telephone socket
      • A filtered faceplate that is specifically designed for the FTTC connection (delivered and installed in person by the BT Openreach Installation Engineer) (please note that the BT Openreach Installation Engineer will fit a new filtered faceplate as a matter of routine as the responsibility now extends to the Modem, not the Test Socket of the NTE5 Master Socket)

One important fact to point out is in relation to any other telephone extensions that you may have. If you previously used a microfilter on all your sockets, this will no longer be required with SFU & SFUP since the Master Socket will have a filtered faceplate. All the extensions are automatically filtered at that point. The one thing to watch for would be things like burglar alarms that are wired behind your master socket and thus will need to be filtered or rewired to the normal faceplate. If this is the case with you, please contact your alarm company.

If either of the Ethernet cables is too short, then you can fit your own Ethernet cables. For connecting the router to the other devices, there are many different options. Check out the document in this thread: Extending your Home Network

21. What will I require at home for installation?

You will need to have a source for electricity to plug the Modem into near to the master socket. The Modem will also need to be located somewhere free from being knocked. The BT Openreach Modem can be wall mounted or placed on a shelf. If is strongly advised that it should not be placed on a carpet or somewhere where it cannot allow air to circulate to keep it cool.

The Modem will then connect to the Sky Router via an Ethernet cable. This will provide a little more flexibility because you could move it further from the modem & telephone socket without any decrease in broadband performance. However the router will require a power source as well.

Any computers would then connect to the Sky Cable router in the same way as they connected to the Sky router.

If your set up does not easily fit into this arrangement (i.e. the Master Socket needs to be moved or there is no mains socket available net the Master Socket) then BTO may be able to use a Data Extension kit. If you require this you should mention it when you order your SFU or SFUP package. Whether Sky will provide this option or charge for it is not known at this time. You should be advised of any charges when you order.

22. What are the specifications of the Sky router supplied for the Sky Fibre Unlimited & Pro products?

The Sagemcom Path F@ST 2504N was initially released by Sky in July 2011 to their customers. It uses Sky’s Graphic User Interface (GUI) and to date has proven to be reliable. The Sky Hub SR101 has a very similar list of specifications and the following information is applicable to both routers:

• WiFi n, up to 144Mb/s, on a single channel on the 2.4GHz frequencies. Please be aware that many WiFi n adaptors currently supplied with Netbooks & Laptops only work at up to 72Mb/s on a single channel, but will work at up to 150Mb/s on a paired channel
      • WPS Button for easier connection
      • Four 10/100Mb/s Ethernet ports. One will be connected to the BTO Modem

It is advised that the router be placed in the stand provided with the power socket to the top. This aids cooling and places the internal WiFi aerial at its highest point.

23. Can I use my own non-Sky router?

Please read the Sky Fibre forum on this topic. There are a few different options being discussed, including specific solutions to different brands and firmwares.

Another option is to connect your own Cable router via its Ethernet port to the Sky Router. Set a fixed IP Address on the Sky router for your own cable router and set that as the DMZ Server Address. This will pass all the internet traffic straight through the Sky router, without it being filtered. A fuller explanation is included in the thread linked below:

If you only have an ADSL router, then it will not be able to be configured to run your LAN. If you want to use any features on it, then you will need to piggyback it to the Sky Router (or your own Cable router) by following the document in the thread linked below:

Your local environment

24. If I’m currently only on Sky Connect, can I get Sky Fibre Unlimited or Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro?

Please see the points in FAQ #5 to see if Sky Fibre Unlimited or Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro are available in your area first. However if you are connected to a telephone exchange that has Sky LLU equipment and are still on Sky Broadband Connect, this could be for one of two reasons:
      1. All the sockets for ADSL are full
      2. The equipment has recently been installed and Sky have yet to migrate your connection from BTO’s to their own

In these instances it is recommended that you call Sky to find out what is happening and to find out if you can be placed on SFU or SFUP.

25. Are there any changes I will need to make to my current network/house/computer setup?

There are two possible answers to this question:

a. If moving from another Sky Broadband connection to SFU or SFUP:

For wired devices and computers, Sky have for some time used the same settings for a home network. Specifically this includes “IP Addresses” for a home network. If you have left your router set to the default settings, then the new router should just plug straight in. It is probably a good idea to reset your computers and other devices though as they should then contact the new router for an IP address and the router would then acknowledge their existence on the network.

WiFi devices will need to be given the details of the new router. Sky normally provides these on a sticker under the router and on a piece of card that can be kept safely for future reference. Specific details will be known when we know more about the router that Sky are going to use with FTTC.

Of course you are free to change the WiFi name of your router, the password and security settings to match the same as your old router. This would then make the need to reprogram all your WiFi devices redundant

b. If moving from another ISP to SFU or SFUP:

Sky routers will automatically issue a suitable unique number for any devices joining it. You should reset their network connection when you connect the router.

If someone has manually configured your network devices to use specific IP Addresses, then it would be a good idea to ask them to check if they are within the range of your new Sky router and will refer to it. For reference Sky normally uses the following information on their routers:
      1. Router IP Address: 192.168.0.1 (also known as the Gateway)
      2. LAN IP Address range: 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254
      3. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WiFi devices will need to be given the details of the new router. Sky normally provides these on a sticker under the router and on a piece of card that can be kept safely for future reference. Specific details will be known when we know more about the router that Sky are going to use with FTTC.

Of course you are free to change the WiFi name of your router, the password and security settings to match the same as your old router. This would then make the need to reprogram all your WiFi devices redundant. However, if you old router used WEP, then it is strongly recommended that you do not use this anymore. WEP can easily be cracked and your Network would not be secure as a result.

‘WPA-PSK(TKIP)’, ‘WPA2-PSK (AES)’ and ‘WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)’ are each respectively more secure than WEP.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 01-11-12 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Updated the Early FAQs and added a few more. Split onto 2nd post as couldn't fit all into one post.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Please ensure that you have all the latest drivers, firmware and other updates for your devices to take advantage of these systems. Some older devices may have problems connecting to the more recent security settings and any updates should help with this issue.

26. Will HomePlugs or PowerLine Adaptors work with my Sky Fibre Unlimited or Pro connection?

Yes. The HomePlugs work on your home network (LAN), not on the Internet connection.

However, some of the older HomePlugs and PowerLine adaptors may struggle to provide you with the performance that you require. This is because their connection speed may be limited to 11-14Mb/s and the Fibre connection will be faster than this. It has been reported on other forums that people who have pairs of HomePlugs that work up to 80Mb/s have been struggling with the throughput.

It is therefore recommended that people should now consider the HomePlugs which can deliver 100 or 200Mb/s for a 40Mb/s connection. For an up to 80Mb/s connection, or faster, it is recommended that HomePlugs which can deliver 500Mb/s or 1Gbit sync speed.

27. Can I connect the Modem to my telephone Extension?

No. The FTTC Modem must be connected to the Master Socket. However, the Ethernet cable that runs from the Modem to the Sky router can be up to 100m long! So theoretically, you could place the router elsewhere in your home. The BT Openreach Installation Engineer will have a roll of Cat 5e cable that can be cut to length to provide this extension if you do not have something ready yourself.

As BT Openreach is supplying the Modem, their responsibility for your service no longer ends at the Master or Test Socket, as it did with ADSL connections. BTO’s responsibility now finishes with the FTTC Modem.

28. My Master Socket is in a place where there is no power or is likely to be damaged by passing family members, will the BTO Engineer move it?

It has been known for BTO to move the master socket. It would be a good idea to ask this when placing your order so that Sky can be made aware and make notes for the BTO Installation Engineer.

Discuss this further with the BTO Installation Engineer when he/she arrives to install your connection. It will help both you and the BTO Installer if you have cleared the area where the work is to occur.

The Installation fee covers the cost of this, but there are limits. If you have a number of hardwired extensions, it may not be possible to move your master socket, so have an alternative idea or two ready.

The Future for Sky Fibre

29. Would there be an intention to eventually replace all the copper from exchange to the property?

This is something that could well happen over the next 20+ years.

30. Is there an intention to increase the speed of the connection in the future to match BT Openreach/Virgin?

This information has been asked and no doubt we will be told as and when Sky makes it known to the public.There is some information being received that suggests the upload speed may be increased a few months after official launch.At this time it is unknown if the download speed will also be increased, what the speeds will be and whether there will be different prices as a result.

31. Are there any plans to use Sky routers as Cloud Hotspots, like BT does with the BT Openzone and BTFON on the BT HomeHubs?

At this time there is no information to support this for residential customers. Sky is in the process of marketing The Cloud for their commercial customers (i.e. Pubs and Clubs) to encourage them to consider taking up a connection that their clients could connect to.

Acknowledgements

SkyUser wishes to thank all those who have helped Scubbie by contributing toward the creation of document:

andrewjr, bubblegun, indefatigable, Kona Owner & Stumpy

Also, a big thank you to those Members who have sent PMs requesting corrections or additions, and also to those who have contributed hugely to the forum to help hack out many of the questions and answers by asking for the information that has been used to contribute toward this useful document.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 14-07-12 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Extended the FAQs as the content has grown to a 3rd post
      NewsreadeR, Stumpy and Proddy like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Some early FAQs now appear in post #2. Please note that these are currently being edited together and their content will change over the next few days and it is intended to change them as things change.

Please post any confirmed information in this thread if you have if.

Thank you to those who have helped so far.

I've just amended some of the FAQs and added a couple more. Please send me a PM if there are any mistakes or particular questions that can be added.

At this stage many of the questions are being taken from topical discussions on the forum.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 16-02-12 at 12:04 PM. Reason: opps! FAQ now takes 3 posts due to size. contents of post #4 shifted to this post.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above if you do not have an NTE5 then the Openreach engineer will fit one. This is the main reason the external NTE has been dropped-there was no provision for SSFP's (Service Specific Face Plates). There is only ONE design of VDSL faceplate that is approved for the new services which you can see here. This is made by BT approved manufacturer Pressac (as were all the older NTE2000 & 2005 faceplates which are still available). The new faceplate is backwards compatible with all services and is being sold as the premium ADSL faceplate available on the market today.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Further updates have been posted.

There is still more to be added but I hope that this goes some way to helping members understand what Sky are offering.

Thanks

More updates have just been posted. There are some significant questions yet to be answered relating to Terms and Conditions. Once sky launches the product officially in April it is hoped that these can be answered fully.

With regards to connections speeds, it is apparent from following the threads on this topic that Sky could be increasing the upload speed sooner than was originally scheduled. It is also hoped that the download speeds will also be increased from the max of 40Mb/s to the 'up to' 80Mb/s that BTO are currently rolling out.

There will be more additions as the first of the members of this forum will now be connected up from tomorrow and we eagerly await they input from them too.

There is a link within this FAQ to a page where people have been successful in hack the BTO Modem. It has yet to be confirmed whether there are any changes specifically for Sky. Some of the early BTO Modems had issues with overheating. The latest Modem should have fixed this as they were recently replaced.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With regards to connections speeds, it is apparent from following the threads on this topic that Sky could be increasing the upload speed sooner than was originally scheduled.
      w00t!

A link to your source will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      w00t!

A link to your source will be highly appreciated.
      Certainly one copy of an email in this thread: Sky Fibre connection

There are a couple of others posting similar statements on this forum too.

I haven't seen any official confirmation on this topic yet.

It would certainly be better for us for Sky to increase the SBUF connection speed to match BTO's full speed.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast