Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree17Likes

Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by zepler This does seem to me rather unfair. I currently day an extra 5 (ie a total ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband - FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by zepler View Post
      This does seem to me rather unfair. I currently day an extra 5 (ie a total of 12:50) for not having Sky talk) evn though I pay a lot more for my TV than i would for Talk, makes you think about the profit model! Now it seems having sky TV is of no value at all! I feel a "questioning" email to their CEO coming on!
      Can I just say it might be worth while just waiting until the product launches. Whilst they have indicated what the starting price will be for Sky fibre, we are not aware of what offers or discounts if any they will offer.

One thing is for sure, and this is that sky will be well aware of what their profit model will be. Discounts given in the past for having sky TV were never sold as a life long offer or entitlement. Sky have to make some money to be able to invest in its future developments and services. Being a loyal sky tv subscriber is great but they make very little money from subscription services and make more marketing and advertising.

Is there anything that stops you moving your phone service to sky to get rid of the extra 5? Does your current provider offer you something that sky talk can't?
      NewsreadeR and andrewjr like this.

2. Advertisement
      zepler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree that 12:50 is good value for money and have therefore been quite happy to pay the extra 5. However this new policy is pushing my goodwill rather far.
      Firstly I make use of 18185 calls to New Zealand this would mean having to go for the extra Talk contract as Sky Talk doesn't allow 18185 calls; the extra 60 a year is more than I would spend via 18185
      Secondly, as previously mentioned, there is now no concession for having sky TV.
      I also am not too keen on having everything in the Sky basket in case I ever want to change. I may be being unnecessarily pessimistic but wory about the ease of switching back to BT
      Finally I am less than half way through the year of having paid in advance for my BT line rental so probably can't do much anyway!

As far as the current policy giving a one stop shop for dealing with phone problems an alternative view could be it just adds another link in the reporting chain which gives more scope for delay and misunderstanding. The quicker and closer I can get to whoever is actually going to deal with a problem the better!

All of which would seem to lead me to investigate moving to BT although I will do a more detailed analysis of switching everything to Sky before making a final decision.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Why on earth would anyone willingly want a BT product in their home?

zepler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In all my dealings with BT I have found them helpful, competent and generally have had a good service. You have obviously have had a different experience. The question then is is the problem something systemic in BT or down to individuals, some good some bad. I tend to think its the latter. Maybe I'm being too generous as must admit there are areas of their service such as new connections or reconnecting I have not had much recent experience of in recent years, also their pricing and billing algorithms are often incomprehensible.
      I have several friends who have taken Infinity and will be checking their views but would be interested in any pitfalls that might be regarded as stoppers to taking it.
      None of the above means I'm committed to taking BT and all things been equal i would like to stay with Sky but...!
      As far as taking anything from BT isn't it the case that to get Sky fibre you have a BT engineer come and install a BT product in your house?

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

When I had a complaint with the speed whilst on BT Broadband, I was basically told "that's how fast your line will go and there's nothing we can do" - this was after my actual throughput went from 8Mb to 3Mb despite having a 8128kbps sync rate.

I then had to go through the tiresome and frankly highly frustrating process of trying to get my MAC code. All the guy was doing was asking me questions, then making me pause... blah blah. Glad to be shot of them.

The trouble is, the majority of these call centre agents work from scripts and getting help is hard work. I find it even more frustrating because I happen to know what I'm talking about and the agents just aren't interested if it isn't part of their script.
      jayhab likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gorebrush For This Useful Post:

zepler (10-04-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

A few amendments to the FAQ have been made. Please remember folks that a lot of information has yet to be confirmed. Sky did plan to launch SBUF today, but it appears that they have now postponed it until Friday 13th April.

We have tried to keep rumours out of the FAQ, of which there are lots.

In light of the news from BT Retail yesterday I hope that Sky is now looking to bring forward their 40/10 and 80/20 products.

Remember: Foresight is a wonderful gift.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

they have now postponed it until Friday 13th April.
      lol what an omen.
      Ipster likes this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

iMonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDLNDFL
      Thanks

Sorry if this has been mentioned but will I still be able to use my Airport Extreme with Sky Broadband/Fibre?

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMonkey View Post
      Sorry if this has been mentioned but will I still be able to use my Airport Extreme with Sky Broadband/Fibre?
      not directly from the BTO modem no. you can however run the sky router as a 'modem only' type device and connect your airport to the sky modem.

On my setup I set the AP in bridge mode and use the sky router to assign DHCP (wireless is disabled as the AP handles this in dual mode) to all my other devices
      iMonkey likes this.

iMonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDLNDFL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      not directly from the BTO modem no. you can however run the sky router as a 'modem only' type device and connect your airport to the sky modem.

On my setup I set the AP in bridge mode and use the sky router to assign DHCP (wireless is disabled as the AP handles this in dual mode) to all my other devices
      Ahh ok. I've only just bought it so i'm pleased I don't have to stick it in a cupboard.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast