Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky - new fibre launch

This is a discussion on Sky - new fibre launch within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted a question on the Official Sky forum a couple of hours or so ago. No response just yet, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,218 Times in 2,087 Posts

Re: Sky - new fibre launch

I posted a question on the Official Sky forum a couple of hours or so ago.

No response just yet, but hopefully we will have an answer soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea lets hope so eww im so excited hehe

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Brilliant news, I've checked my area and I can get BT Infinity so I assume I will be able to get Sky Fibre Unlimited too. I've lived with a connection of 1Mbps-3Mbps for too long hopefully I'll be able to get double figures speed with this and hopefully it will sort out the frequent drops in connection I'm getting with ADSL2+.

Thanks

what speed did it say you could get dankargo

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      what speed did it say you could get dankargo
      I had to put my postcode in on the Infinity website as it said I wasn't using a BT line but it said I'd be able to receive 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload.

Thanks

phoar nice buddy nice speed there like

Musicmstr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky has announced a number of enhancements to its range of broadband services to create more choice for customers and build on its strong growth. The move means that more households will have access to Skyís great-value broadband, customers will be able to enjoy
      free Wi-Fi access on the move and there will be a new fibre option for customers who want faster speeds.

The announcement comes as new figures show that customers continue to respond in record numbers to Skyís high-quality broadband and telephony products. In the last three months of 2011, Sky sold more than half a million home communications products, cementing its position as the fastest growing home communications provider in the UK. The latest growth means that , since launching in 2006, Sky has grown its UK broadband market share to 17% (3.6 million customers) and 29% of all Sky homes now take all three of Sky TV, Sky Broadband and Sky Talk.

The new enhancements planned for the months ahead include:

Building out Skyís network to reach even more UK homes: Sky is extending its network footprint to bring great value broadband to 88% of the UK by*June 2013. This means more than 1 million extra homes will be covered by Skyís network.
      Providing customers with free WiFi wherever they are: Sky will shortly launch its public Wi-Fi service, powered by The Cloud. This will provide Sky Broadband Unlimited customers with free access to more than 10,000 hotspots across the UK. Available in venues such as Caffe Nero, Pizza Express and Wagamama, Sky customers will enjoy seamless and convenient access to public WiFi. This will prove particularly valuable for customers who access Sky content on the go, with high quality wireless delivering an even better experience for Sky Go and Skyís other video-rich applications.

Adding choice with Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre: Sky is to give customers even more choice by adding a fibre broadband product to its range from April. For £20 a month, customers will be able to access download speeds of up to 40 megabits with a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps. From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BTís fibre roll-out programme.

Stephen van Rooyen, Managing Director of Skyís Sales and Marketing Group, comments:

"Iím delighted that our existing home communication products are making such an impact with customers. Itís clear that customers are responding to the higher levels of value, quality and service we offer.
      "This year sees a number of enhancements that will ensure we create even more choice. Whether itís the launch of free public WiFi, extending our network into more parts of the UK, or adding fibre to our product mix, we are focused on meeting the demands of customers and on being their number one choice for home communications."

Another strong quarter for Skyís home communication services

In the last three months of 2011, Sky Broadband (166,000 new customers), Sky Talk (159,000) and Sky line rental (214,000) all enjoyed another quarter of strong customer growth. As well as significant savings, each week thousands of customers are switching to Sky for improved customer service, a better product experience and more flexibility:

Better service: in Ofcomís latest research on customer experience, Sky ranked above all its competitors in both fixed-line broadband and home telephony Ė as well as in pay TV.

Better experience: thanks to a state-of-the-art all-fibre core network, Sky is the only ISP to guarantee not to manage the speeds of any customer on its network. Skyís totally unlimited service is free from the fair use policies that other broadband providers use to slow speeds down at peak times to alleviate contention in their networks. This makes it ideal for those homes that use their broadband to access video and other high bandwidth services, such as Sky Anytime+ and Sky Go.

More flexibility: Sky TV customers continue to benefit from access to great value home communication services, but thousands are also joining Sky for standalone broadband and telephony services. In just 18 months 218,000 customers have chosen to take Sky Broadband and/or Sky Talk standalone.
      Sky builds on broadband growth with increased coverage, 10,000 WiFi hotspots and new fibre launch
      Last edited by Scubbie; 01-02-12 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Snipped down a little. - Put is quotes as it is a quote from the Sky Corporate site

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I dont want to sound like I'm putting a damper on things, however from various posts I have read people seem to think this will be available from Sky in April.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but this will only be available from Sky as and when BT upgrade the infrastructure from their exchanges to the cabinets.
      For the majarity of us this could still be a long way off yet.
      Last edited by dholdi; 01-02-12 at 09:59 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,218 Times in 2,087 Posts

Reading the various posts over the last couple of weeks on this, the infrastructure is already in place at the Telephone Exchanges.

A couple of people have been talking to various BTO Engineers and have been told this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I dont doubt that Sky will have its equipment in exchanges that are enabled for FTTC.
      I do doubt that they will have equipment sat around gathering dust in exchanges that have yet to be enabled.
      I think they are a bit smarter than that.
      Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but Sky arnt investing in the wires in the ground or the equipment in the cabinets, they will just be putting equipment into exchanges that will be able to utilise it, just like they and all the other isp's did with ADSL.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast