Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over capacity at peak time

This is a discussion on Over capacity at peak time within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So. Had this a couple of years ago, but Sky admitted to it being a major issue and embarked on ...

Danofthewibble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Over capacity at peak time

So. Had this a couple of years ago, but Sky admitted to it being a major issue and embarked on a nationwide upgrade program.

I'm assuming it's not just me. The problem?

Sky Broadband Unlimited is increasingly unusable at peak time. I KNOW it's at there end; I've done enough tests myself to be 100% confident. Sync speed is fine. Barely changes even through trying three different routers, three splitters, all new cabling.

Anyone else getting this? Speed drops around 6pm, back to normal around 11. Godawful.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Over capacity at peak time

Hi Danofthewibble.

It's a bit of a long shot but is anything showing here?
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No problems here, OP dosen't say where he is? It could be a exchange congestion problem again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is also a chance that the OP is on Connect and unaware of it. He would not be the first to think they were on Unlimited only to find they weren't. Maybe if he posts his stats it would give us an idea.

Failing that it is likely to be an individual exchange problem. As we know several exchanges have had to have their 'out pipe' upgraded to cope with demand.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dgmckenzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I had two days last week where I was down at 3mb rather than the normal 14 - 21mb.

There have been times where the red light is on and there is no connection. When I phone sky they ask me to change the filters etc. I don't bother witching them any more. I just say Yes it's done, and magically the red light disappears and all is well again.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

When attempting to identify potential exchange or congestion / capacity issues, it would make sense to actually post the exchange / area in question.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Could I ask a couple of things for those of you who suspect that you have a congestion issue please?

First, could you let us know which exchange you are connected to. If you are unsure, please use the checker on the SamKnows site. You may benefit from using your postcode as some places could be connected to two or more exchanges.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Next could I ask that you set up a "BQM" on the thinkbroadband site?

thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL troubleshooting website (incorporating news, reviews and comparisons)

Once the BQM has been running for a period of time, especially over the afternoon to late evening period, post an image so that we can see what is happening. It will also be useful to post images from different days too, incuding the weekend if possible.

If your line changes its IP Address a new BQM will need to be set up, but otherwise this is a good way to tell if there is a congestion issue.

As for Tom's point about the possibility of you being on the Connect package, the best way for us to see this would be to see your router's connection stats. Please post them as well.

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Of course there could be other issues, but the information that you can provide, as requested above, will help to direct us in the right direction.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Danofthewibble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub v2
      Thanks

Sorry, not been on for a few days; I'm definitely on Unlimited, I'm on the Wrexham exchange and have line of sight view to it. Synched at 19000ish, speed drops through the floor at 7pm (or thereabouts), but I can still sync at the same speed. Come 10/11pm - back to super speedy.

Just have to convince Sky the problem is not mine, especially after I've tried all of their "troubleshooting" ideas.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Solid evidence obtained from HERE like Scubbie suggested may help speed up the process.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think Gymno meant you should sign up and run the Broadband monitor. thinkbroadband :: Broadband Usage Meter

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast