Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can my neighbours Sky broadband affect my broadband speed?

This is a discussion on Can my neighbours Sky broadband affect my broadband speed? within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My neighbour also has Sky broadband, and his router is more or less through the wall from mine. My broadband ...

Dave150771 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

My neighbour also has Sky broadband, and his router is more or less through the wall from mine.

My broadband speed is very slow and the range can jump from 3.0 mg to 5 mg all day.

Can his router be affecting mine and how would I resolve this?

I do have the new Sky hub and thought this would search for the best signal.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can my neighbours Sky broadband affect my broadband speed?

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

Turn off your wi-fi and check your speed with a wired network connection between your PC and router. If the speed is no better and you have had better speed previously then there may be a problem with your phone line or extension wiring but check first that there aren't any other services of applications running on your PC that could be consuming bandwidth.

Assuming all is well with the wired connection You could use inSSIDer to check which channel your neighbour's router is on then manually select your hub's channel for one that doesn't overlap it though if your hub is set to auto it should select the best RF channel to avoid interference.

There are other devices that can interfere with wi-fi signals such as Dect telephone base stations, video senders and RF headphones to name but a few so if you use any of these it is worth ensuring that they are positioned well away from your router.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Hi Dave150771

There have been mixed reports about the Sky hub changing channel and giving the best signal, some say it works well for them however others have not had the asme success. I personally have manually changed mine and I have the SR101.

Rather than just picking random channels you are best to use something like InSSIDer, this will show you what routers are round about and will tell you not only what free channels may be available but also what channels overlap meaning you can then pick the channels that will suit you best.

Once you have chosen a channel login to your Hub by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar, then select wireless and enter the username(admin) and password(sky) when prompted.

Once into the wireless section of the Hub use the drop down where is says channel to select the channel you want to use and then select apply.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD