Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband usage tool - errors !

This is a discussion on Broadband usage tool - errors ! within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; "Hello All", I wondered if this would be of interest to the Sky Broadband Lite Users: The Sky Usage Tool ...

CHRISX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband usage tool - errors !

"Hello All",

I wondered if this would be of interest to the Sky Broadband Lite Users:

The Sky Usage Tool has been `Recording` Usage for periods when My Sky Router was Turned Off !

Sky Broadband Support have stated that what happens is that Downloads that I make at the End of My Billing Period - during the Last Day of that period for example sometimes are CARRIED FORWARD into the NEXT Month / Billing Period !

This apparently means that If I Downloaded for example a LARGE Download on the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period and this was NOT shown on the Broadband Usage Tool for THAT DAY the Download amount would then Show as being made in the NEXT Billing Period - and be DEDUCTED from that period ! - Although it was made within the Dates / Time

I feel that this is VERY UNFAIR - I have often been Downloading a Large Software File on the Last Day of the Billing Period - Still staying within the 2 GB Monthly Allowance - Now I find out this `Carried Forward` process - something that NO-ONE would EVER know unless a Dispute about the Usage Tool occurred !

This was the case with Me - I had Turned Off My Sky Router at the end of a Billing Period only to `Find` that a Download Amount was showing when I accessed the Usage Tool using My Mobile Broadband - It then took Over 2 Weeks to obtain an Answer about this - Answer as described above - I am Still Querying this with Sky Broadband Support.

I wondered if anyone else has Complained about this to Sky ?

CHRISX

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Broadband usage tool - errors !

To be fair, the Home Lite package is designed for very light users.

You should also leave the Sky router on at all times. This is because of the following reasons:

• repeated switching on/off shorten the life of the router
      • DLM constantly monitors your connection and can reduce your connection speed if it suspects that there is a fault
      • the router actually uses very little electricity

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      To be fair, the Home Lite package is designed for very light users.

You should also leave the Sky router on at all times. This is because of the following reasons:

• repeated switching on/off shorten the life of the router
      • DLM constantly monitors your connection and can reduce your connection speed if it suspects that there is a fault
      • the router actually uses very little electricity

"Hello Scubbie",

To Answer Your points:

Your comment about the Sky Broadband Lite Package being for Very Light Users - I AM a Very Light User - I have been below the 2 GB Monthly Download Allowance Every Month for 26 Months.

I started switching Off the Sky Router for Two reasons -

1. I read in the Sky Router User Guide or Set Up Instructions that the Router should be Switched Off if not in Use for any Period of over a couple of Days.

2. I wanted to See / Prove that the Usage Tool was `Recording` Usage that was NOT made - Could NOT have been made because My Sky Router was Turned Off.

With regard to the `Repeated Switching Off & On` - I don`t do that My Router can be Off for a Week or more at a time - the last time it was Off for 13 Days - until Sky confirmed that they had SEEN what the Usage Tool was showing - and verified what I had complained about

Could You comment about the Main / Important Point about the Sky Broadband Usage Tool `Carrying Over` Downloads that were made in the previous Billing Period - Which I find a Completely Unfair process.

NO Way should a Download Amount from one Billing Period be DEDUCTED from the NEXT Billing Period - there cannot be any Justification for this.

CHRISX

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It does seem very unfair and to be honest I don't see how it can work. The Sky Usage tool is supposed to record 'real time' usage, at least anyone with common sense would think it would. What they are saying that each day is put into a 'pot' and not recorded till the next day. I find this very hard to believe. No doubt if you counted on this happening and intentionally went over your allowance on the last day, you would get an advice from Sky telling you that you had went over your allowance and would be upgraded forthwith.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Perhaps it is worth pointing out that if you go over you monthly limit, then on the first occurrence you will get a polite warning letter. There is no charge though.

I think it is after the 2nd occurrence that they automatically upgrade you to Unlimited.

Whilst I appreciate that the Home Lite is free, the Unlimited package is exceedingly good value. If you connect your Sky+ HD STB to your router, you can enable the free Anytime+ service and download TV programmes or films to view on your Sky box and not worry about the volume of data that you are downloading.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps it is worth pointing out that if you go over you monthly limit, then on the first occurrence you will get a polite warning letter. There is no charge though.

I think it is after the 2nd occurrence that they automatically upgrade you to Unlimited.

Whilst I appreciate that the Home Lite is free, the Unlimited package is exceedingly good value. If you connect your Sky+ HD STB to your router, you can enable the free Anytime+ service and download TV programmes or films to view on your Sky box and not worry about the volume of data that you are downloading.

"Hello Scubbie",

My Original Post was nothing to do with Complaining that My Sky Broadband Lite did not give Me enough Download Allowance.

I don`t want Sky to Carry Forward Downloads that I make on the Last Day / Evening of My Billing Period TO the Next Billing Period.

I don`t need a Higher Download Allowance than the 2 GB on Broadband Lite as I am either Working or Sleeping for about 22 Hours out of every 24 - as I mentioned previously I have NOT Exceeded this 2 GB per Month Download Allowance in the 26 Months that I have been using it.

I want to be able to make Downloads on the last Day / Evening of My Billing Period without those Downloads being DEDUCTED from the NEXT Billing Period.

Sky Broadband Lite is NOT Free - it costs Me 5.00 per Month - which is obviously Good Value even for such a small Monthly Download Amount.

Also as a Sky Customer of over 11 Years and Because I am either Working or Sleeping for 22 Hours out of every 24 - I do not have either a Sky + Box or a Sky HD Box - I am NOT interested in the Films that are on the Sky Film channels and I would not have Time to be watching anything that I could Record with Sky + - So although the Sky Broadband Unlimited IS Good Value at 12.50 Per Month [?] - I do not need Unlimited Broadband.

I just want Downloads that I make within a Billing Period to be `Recorded` / Allocated to THAT Billing Period - NOT the NEXT Billing Period.

I ask again - what is Your opinion of what I have stated about this Downloads being Carried Forward / Deducted into the Next Billing Period - ?

CHRISX

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It does seem very unfair and to be honest I don't see how it can work. The Sky Usage tool is supposed to record 'real time' usage, at least anyone with common sense would think it would. What they are saying that each day is put into a 'pot' and not recorded till the next day. I find this very hard to believe. No doubt if you counted on this happening and intentionally went over your allowance on the last day, you would get an advice from Sky telling you that you had went over your allowance and would be upgraded forthwith.

"Hello Isitme"

Sky Customer Services answered My Complaint about the Broadband Usage Tool `Recording` Usage when My Sky Router was turned Off by informing Me that this `Usage` had been Carried Forward from the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period because it had NOT been `Updated` within that Last Day to be showing on the Usage Tool - `This usually SMALL Amount [because of their claims about the regular Updating of the Usage Tool] - should not cause a problem with your 2 GB Monthly Allowance` - words to that effect.

I then replied with the Example of a Large Download - perhaps 750 MB being made on the Evening of the Last Day of a Billing Period - Could they confirm that this would then be DEDUCTED from the Next Month`s Allowance ?

They seem to have Refused to put that `In Writing` - as I have Emailed 3 Times asking that they reply - Answering ONLY that Question - They have NOT and Today I received another protracted Email which was worded as if `They had tried their best to explain this matter to Me` - words to that effect - and that `They have found the Broadband Usage Tool to be Accurate` - And that they could `Continue no Further` - words to that effect.

Although I am fairly sure that Sky Customer Services are NOW trying to designate My Complaint as `Case Closed` - I have replied to Today`s Email from them asking Again that I receive their Reply `Answering My Question [Above - 750 MB Download] ONLY - I would NOT be surprised to NOT receive a Reply !

Sky Customer Services / Broadband Technical Support have acted Disgracefully during My Complaint - Some of the replies that I have been sent read as if they were the Answers to someone else`s Complaint ! - Not one word of the Reply relevant to MY Complaint !

You are definitely correct in stating that IF I did count on this Carrying Forward the Download to the Next Billing Period - `Miraculously` the Usage Tool would have allocated the Download to the Last Day of the previous / existing Billing Period - IF then OVER the 2 GB Monthly Allowance - I would be Notified of My Error / Over Use !

Thanks for your reply - I would welcome any further comments or Questions about this.

CHRISX

Thanks

I have no problem with your low usage. I had thought that the Home Lite was provided FOC though, but hadn't really looked into this.

If you are concerned, then do keep an eye on things, but I do not think that it will be a major issue as anyone at Sky who looks at your connection will see how little you do use it.

On the subject of low usage, I did help a friend's mother sign up to Plus Net's basic broadband last week. She currently has Virgin TV, Phone & broadband and uses the Internet very little, just for emailing relatives in the USA.

Whilst we are waiting for the router to come through and a date for the broadband, her phone was activated within 2 hours of us phoning the order through.

Her Sky TV is due to be installed this Wednesday & she is looking forward to saying goodbye to Virgin.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"Hello Again Scubbie",

Please don`t take offence to this:

Although You were the First Person to Reply to My Original Post and I have Asked You Twice for your comments about the Main Point of My Original Post - You have done what Sky Customer Services have done when replying to My Complaint - Commented on other points - NOT commenting at all about the Main Point which is the `Carrying Over` of Downloads that are made on the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period and DEDUCTING these from the Next Month`s Download Allowance.

As You are obviously someone with an extensive experience of Sky Matters - I would be very interested in Your point of view about that point - "Please".

Regards,

CHRISX

Thanks

No worries.

To be fair, this conversation is mostly hypothetical. Whilst the deductions appear to be made when you are not on-line, under most circumstances it should be harmless.

I would suggest that you monitor things carefully as the reporting facilities for your usage are all automated and you are unlikely to get any member of staff to change them easily.

However, it may be useful to contact someone within Sky's technical team (higher than CST) and ask them to comment. However these people do not have direct contact with customers, so you will need to go through CST who are above the first line of support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast