Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband usage tool - errors !

This is a discussion on Broadband usage tool - errors ! within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; "Hello Scubbie", In answer to your comment: `To be fair, this conversation is mostly hypothetical. Whilst the deductions appear to ...

CHRISX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broadband usage tool - errors !

"Hello Scubbie",

In answer to your comment:

`To be fair, this conversation is mostly hypothetical. Whilst the deductions appear to be made when you are not on-line, under most circumstances it should be harmless`.

The ONLY part of the information that I wrote on here which is hypothetical is the Example of the possible 750 MB Download - carried out on the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period - And I have done Large Downloads on that Evening in the past - As I would have viewed it as `Making the Most of My Monthly Download Allowance`.

I HAVE been monitoring the Usage Tool VERY Carefully during the last YEAR.

It is because I have been Monitoring it that this has come to light.

When the Usage Tool shows a `Recorded` Usage Amount for a period when your Sky Router has been Turned Off for a Week or more there is Nothing `Hypothetical` about that.

Although My Example IS Hypothetical - If what I suspect would happen - because of the statement about the `Small Downloads not having a significant effect` - that the 750 MB would be DEDUCTED from the Next Month`s Allowance - That IS a Problem as it would represent 37.5% of My Monthly Download Allowance.

There would be nothing `Trivial` about that circumstance.

With regard to trying to communicate with a `Higher Tier` of Support - I have asked for this - that was one of the occasions where I received an almost unintelligible Reply.

CHRISX

2. Advertisement
      watercolour is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hi have also problems with usage. Am on Everday lite and it has been perfectly adequate in the 2 years I have been with Sky. My usage is very low.
      Suddenly I got an email saying my usage has gone over 2 gbs I checked the usage tool and it was escalating and reached 3.77 by end of the next day.This was a ridiculous total considering how little I use the internet. Emailed sky who says I had used that amount and would eventually put me on unlimited. Replied that I was not satisfied with their response and still waiting for reply. I stopped using the computer for 6 days then switched on today as new month beginning and found I'd used 1%. then over the day when I had only checked my usage it now stands at
      11%.
      Sky tell me it is nothing to do with them and it must be the computer using all the gbs and to download a usage tool to find out what is happening.
      Will do this but has anyone else had this problem? I live on my own and no-one else uses the computer except myself and my usage was very light last month as it is normally. I don't play games or watch films or download music etc.
      any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISX View Post
      "Hello All",

I wondered if this would be of interest to the Sky Broadband Lite Users:

The Sky Usage Tool has been `Recording` Usage for periods when My Sky Router was Turned Off !

Sky Broadband Support have stated that what happens is that Downloads that I make at the End of My Billing Period - during the Last Day of that period for example sometimes are CARRIED FORWARD into the NEXT Month / Billing Period !

This apparently means that If I Downloaded for example a LARGE Download on the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period and this was NOT shown on the Broadband Usage Tool for THAT DAY the Download amount would then Show as being made in the NEXT Billing Period - and be DEDUCTED from that period ! - Although it was made within the Dates / Time

I feel that this is VERY UNFAIR - I have often been Downloading a Large Software File on the Last Day of the Billing Period - Still staying within the 2 GB Monthly Allowance - Now I find out this `Carried Forward` process - something that NO-ONE would EVER know unless a Dispute about the Usage Tool occurred !

This was the case with Me - I had Turned Off My Sky Router at the end of a Billing Period only to `Find` that a Download Amount was showing when I accessed the Usage Tool using My Mobile Broadband - It then took Over 2 Weeks to obtain an Answer about this - Answer as described above - I am Still Querying this with Sky Broadband Support.

I wondered if anyone else has Complained about this to Sky ?

CHRISX

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Are you using wireless? Check in the router settings for attached devices, you may have been hacked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

watercolour is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you using wireless? Check in the router settings for attached devices, you may have been hacked.
      Hi Isitme
      Thank you for your reply.
      Sky help desk assure me I am not being hacked.
      They have suggested that I may be downloading stuff.
      Not so - only thing downloaded has been Yahoo.
      Email received re over usage 5 days after Yahoo arrived.
      Coincidence?
      I have the Sky package of calls tv and broadband but have been unable to get broadband via wireless and so on wired. Sorry about rubbish technical terms. Hope you understand.
      I switched my computer and router off overnight for 13 hours. This morning in that time the user tool has registered 5% more usage. I have now apparently used 18% of my allowance in 24 hours. It is getting really stressful. Even if I am transferred to unlimited which I do not want or need it will not solve problem. Also will be at extra cost.
      Can Sky not access the source of this usage via their usage tool? A
      friend is looking into finding a user tool that may tell me what is going on as my technical knowledge of computers is limited.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky help desk assure me I am not being hacked.
      I am not sure how they would know that. If you are not using the wireless, disable it in the router. To do this click Wireless on the menu bar, sign in and remove the tick from 'Enable wireless access point'.

Do you use On Demand on the Sky box? If so remember this could use all your allowance with one downloaded program.

Can Sky not access the source of this usage via their usage tool?
      They can't tell who or what is using the bandwidth, only that it is being used. You can download and install a tool which will check the amount you are using, but it must be installed on all the devices you are using. A good free one is Netmeter, which you can get here - Download NetMeter 1.1.4 Beta 4 / 1.1.3 Free - A handy network software that will monitor your bandwidth - Softpedia Try running it and compare the total used against the Sky meter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

BIYATYSA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: IPHONE 6
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps it is worth pointing out that if you go over you monthly limit, then on the first occurrence you will get a polite warning letter. There is no charge though.

I think it is after the 2nd occurrence that they automatically upgrade you to Unlimited.

Whilst I appreciate that the Home Lite is auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver free, the Unlimited package is exceedingly good value. If you connect your Sky+ HD STB to your router, you can enable the free Anytime+ service and download TV programmes or films to view on your Sky box and not worry about the volume of data that you are downloading.
      This apparently means that If I Downloaded for example a LARGE Download on the Evening of the Last Day of My Billing Period and this was NOT shown on the Broadband Usage Tool for THAT DAY the Download amount would then Show as being made in the NEXT Billing Period - and be DEDUCTED from that period ! - Although it was made within the Dates / Time
      Last edited by BIYATYSA; 02-10-19 at 12:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12