Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

This is a discussion on My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It would seem that 3rd times a charm. I just got off the phone to a very helpful lady that ...

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

It would seem that 3rd times a charm. I just got off the phone to a very helpful lady that went through the basics, like changing the filter etc. and when that failed(as we knew it would) she told me she was contacting CST (music to my ears )

My new stats and speed test are :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18012 kbps 1157 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 6.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 2.4 db

20 April, 2010 18:43:52 15488Kbps 903 Kbps

The download wasn't very steady unfortunately. It kept going to 15600ish then dropping back to 14000's.
      Very low noise margin... reboot perhaps?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Jeeze, unless your upstream SNR dropped again coincidentally whilst on the phone, then I can't see any reason why they can't uncap it from 800kbps. Try again and hopefully you'll get through to someone with half a brain. I can only assume when you were put on hold that the tier 1 agent went over to their manager or another t1 with access to change your speeds ('LAMA' - same application CST use) and they don't have a clue how to use it.

At this point, your best bet is to just play dumb and suggest your connection is slow. Just go through the 'script' with the next person you get through and you'll eventually get through to customer solutions who can uncap the upstream, if possible. If not, then they'll tell you why.

Edit: ^^ Ignore that, haha, I just seen the above reply. I was gonna say I'd bloody do it for you at this point!! Your upstream SNR is quite low. Rebooting it will bring the upstream sync a little lower, but the SNR will be healthier. If it stays stable, then it's fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Jeeze, unless your upstream SNR dropped again coincidentally whilst on the phone, then I can't see any reason why they can't uncap it from 800kbps. Try again and hopefully you'll get through to someone with half a brain. I can only assume when you were put on hold that the tier 1 agent went over to their manager or another t1 with access to change your speeds ('LAMA' - same application CST use) and they don't have a clue how to use it.

At this point, your best bet is to just play dumb and suggest your connection is slow. Just go through the 'script' with the next person you get through and you'll eventually get through to customer solutions who can uncap the upstream, if possible. If not, then they'll tell you why.

Edit: ^^ Ignore that, haha, I just seen the above reply. I was gonna say I'd bloody do it for you at this point!! Your upstream SNR is quite low. Rebooting it will bring the upstream sync a little lower, but the SNR will be healthier. If it stays stable, then it's fine.
      Haha. Thanks for the help. I've just rebooted now and these are my stats (I'll be keeping a close eye on these) :-

Connection Speed 18012 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 7.1 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 8.0 db

Sky speedtest (my new favourite ) :-

20 April, 2010 21:01:09 15424 Kbps 957 Kbps

All I can say is, if it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't be getting these speeds!

Thank you to everyone involved. I am most grateful!

I hope this thread gives some sort of help to anyone thinking of joining or going through DLM.

I'll still be lurking in the background, reading other threads and posting my knowledge (be it extremely limited ).

Thanks again

Thanks

Hello again.
      I've noticed quite a lot of lag over the past 2 of days or so. In the bottom right hand corner of my screen, connection status icon, I've noticed that the "globe" icon disappears for a few seconds at the same time as the lag.
      Also, using the speed test on this site (and other sites), when the test starts, the needle moves straight to 15.5 or so, drops off to around 13 then back and forth between the two. When the test gets to 60%, its as if it resets the speed back to 0 and starts again but the percentage meter moves up to 100% very slowly, while the speed waves from 13-15.5meg. It doesn't happen at a specific time of day but it is quite regularly though, around 5 - 10 times a day.
      Maybe the increase in download speed pushed it too far?
      My stats are still the same :-

Connection Speed 18014 kbps 1153 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 7.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.7 db 7.9 db

The download margin goes up to around 7.5 through the day, this is the lowest that I've seen it.
      Is there anything else I can do myself to stabilize the connection? Or is it going to involve another call to Sky to have the speed lowered?

Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks

Ok now there is definitely something wrong, here are my stats:-

Connection Speed 18009 kbps 1161 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 7.1 db
      Noise Margin 2.1 db 7.7 db

Rebooted and they went back to normal but gradually dropped back to this. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this please?
      Thanks

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789