Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

This is a discussion on My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks. Just to add, although my speed is great, its not very steady but i guess thats to do with ...

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My ongoing Sky Unlimited BB experience

Thanks. Just to add, although my speed is great, its not very steady but i guess thats to do with the DLM. Plus i've noticed a drop in the noise margin, again, I've put that down to the DLM (just guessing). Can you tell me if this is correct please?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

noise margin will drop - the line will train at the best it can with an SNR of around 7dB. It can drop in the evenings causing the connection to drop so people say it's best to reboot in the evening and sacrafice a bit of speed in exchange for a reliable connection
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      noise margin will drop - the line will train at the best it can with an SNR of around 7dB. It can drop in the evenings causing the connection to drop so people say it's best to reboot in the evening and sacrafice a bit of speed in exchange for a reliable connection
      Thanks for the info. Should I wait til the end of the DLM before rebooting?

Thanks

I just downloaded netstumbler to my laptop and i can't get that to work either. It says "no wireless adapter found". If i click on device, it shows the laptops wifi device but it says unsupported.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Both of these work with most WiFi cards so you must have a rather esoteric one for both to fail. Have a look at this FAQ from Netstumbler to see if there is any clues there.
      NetStumbler readme

Don't boot your router yet, DLM will do it for you in the early hours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Both of these work with most WiFi cards so you must have a rather esoteric one for both to fail. Have a look at this FAQ from Netstumbler to see if there is any clues there.
      NetStumbler readme

Don't boot your router yet, DLM will do it for you in the early hours.
      Unfortunately, my laptops wifi device isn't listed in the compatible devices list

Something is definitely affecting my wireless network quite badly as I can't seem to get more than 75% signal strength on my playstation 3(very rarely it will pop onto 100% but it's for literally seconds and it drops progressively back to 60-75%. I've had this problem before switching to Sky.
      My router is upstairs next to my PC (connected via telephone extension from the master socket). I've tried all the channels with very small variation in signal, the best being 75% on channel 9. On channel 3 it was as low as 42%.
      I've tried moving the router downstairs in the same room as the PS3 (not with this router as its going through DLM) which had no difference at all.
      To eliminate the possibility of it being the PS3, I took it to a friends house to connect it to his network, which it did, showing 100% strength (even when his only showed 90% )
      Also, my laptop shows "excellent" signal everywhere in the house (the laptop doesn't affect the PS3 signal, it stays the same strength with the laptop on or off).
      One option is connecting the PS3 directly via ethernet but this will be a very last resort.
      Another option is home plugs but they seem quite pricey.
      Apology's for another long winded post but i've tried to explain in detail and any help would be hugely appreciated as I am at a loss with it. (maybe I should post this in a new thread to get the best chance of finding an answer?)
      Thanks in advance.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

No don't start another thread, someone will ask you to plug into your Test socket etc etc and just waste time. It is better to keep it in one thread where everything can be seen.

Wireless depends on many things to operate at its best. Different networks interfering is only one of the causes, The fabric of your house can also effect it badly. Some modern wall and ceiling linings can act almost like a Faraday cage reflecting or concentrating wireless waves.

If you are serious about gaming at all, you should invest in a pair of Homeplugs, they may cost 40+ but they are worth every penny.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Oh, I'll look into the home plugs a little more. My house is quite new so it could well be the lining as the only brick work walls are the front and back, the side walls are insulated plasterboard (made out of cardboard as my dad tells me lol).

New stats as of this afternoon (no change in noise margin but it's a lot more steady and the ping is far lower especially on speed.io link at the bottom) :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16380 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.0 db 7.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 16.0 db

http://speed.io/pics/3118/8210/speed.io.png

puskas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028256
      Thanks

This is a great thread as it gives all new connects(like me soon) an idea of what to expect and saves making repetitive posts or calls to Sky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puskas View Post
      This is a great thread as it gives all new connects(like me soon) an idea of what to expect and saves making repetitive posts or calls to Sky
      Glad to hear it. Hope your switchover goes as well as mine (so far). I just hope I'm not annoying the forum mods by posting so often

Puskas, have you ran your line/router stats before you change to compare them to when you do make the change?

The extra long RJ11 came this morning but I can't connect it up yet due to the DLM.

Yesterday I changed the router channels a few times trying to sort out my PS3. Would that have affected the DLM as I was half expecting the download and upload to rise, instead the download speed was reduced slightly and the upload reduced by 150kbps. Or is this normal?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast