Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

sky broadband 20 meg lie!

This is a discussion on sky broadband 20 meg lie! within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by roadrunner20 I suggest you dont hold your breath, i was at least exspecting a increase of 1 ...

The_Batman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: sky broadband 20 meg lie!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner20 View Post
      I suggest you dont hold your breath, i was at least exspecting a increase of 1 meg, getting no increase is a complete joke, i have been missold a product.

I belive trading standards allready looking into the "upto" issue as they belive they are breaking advertise laws.

20meg i know isnt going to be 20meg but 7 meg increase from..7 meg is a joke no excuse.
      road runner i do sympathise with you, i deal with the same issue every day. The problem lies with the sales team. A lot of them have been misinformed of what "upto" actually means. You should still be within in your cooling off period. Ring up and get it downgraded asap

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It took me less than 20 seconds from leaving this page and going to sky.com,then Sk products and sky Broadband. I ended up at this page:

Sky Broadband - broadband deals exclusive to Sky TV customers

Now, forgive me, but right slap bang in the middle of the page it clearly states:

Up to 20Mb broadband availability is sbject to your location. Speeds vary with location and line quality'

ee64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: o2 premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you were getting around 10 Mb on Everyday, you would not get any increase from Unlimited. Post your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket and we will see if you can get any more. See the links at the bottom of the Quick Links box on the left for details.
      not strictly true - I was on Everyday and used to get 7 Mb download speed - I'm now on unlimited and connect at just over 11 Mb.

Oh I forgot to say - I'm on O2 Unlimited now !!!! (and its free for a year too )

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My advice would be to get a basic understanding of the product before you sign up to it, it is no good crying over spilt milk now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

not strictly true - I was on Everyday and used to get 7 Mb download speed - I'm now on unlimited and connect at just over 11 Mb.
      Then you line was not properly configured.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Below are stats at change over and stats after being connected to unlimited for 2 Days. Quite a good improvement.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 28:51:29

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 175796 245986 0 340 2500 28:50:41
      LAN 100M/Full 273079 225649 0 2535 510 28:51:24
      WLAN 11M/54M 43923 16360 0 158 32 28:51:12
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10234 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 23 db

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 51:09:48

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 10582 14716 0 442 1856 02:05:20
      LAN 100M/Full 3959419 2346978 0 7984 1177 51:09:43
      WLAN 11M/54M 61387 16360 0 111 18 51:09:31
      Connection Speed 15778 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 11 db

Mickr

scottr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Airdrie
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner20 View Post
      Hello all.

I recently switched to sky unlimited after sky changed their whole broadband setup.

Before i was on the MID package with around 7 meg speed and 40gb download, but then got changed, and then had around 7meg speed and 10 meg download.

I therefore changed to unlimited as looking for speed increase and the unlimited download cap.

When i got told it would take 8-10 days, i waited, it now around 14 days and i have been doing some speed tests and found i was still on around 6-7 meg.

When i rang sky i got told i "was on the fastest possible service " and that " i am on the unlimited package "

I find this disgraceful as i was not told before i ordered the unlimited package i would not get a speed increase.

So my message to people is dont buy sky unlimited thinking you will get any speed increase, and to force the question to sky," will i get a speed increase and how much"

I very angrey that sky have lied to me and got me to belive i would be getting a speed increase( i relise UPTO means upto, but i would at least exspect a increase from 7 meg to around 10-15 at the very least)

i going to pursue this matter as i feel like sky is lieing to me about only being able to get 7 meg, as their promotions keep going on about unlimited and 20 meg speeds, im on 7 meg.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/703067122.png
      I really find hysterical over-reactions like this very tiresome.

1. Surely it was obvious that when you were getting 7Mb instead of the maximum on MID that was the limit of your line and setup - so why would you just expect a speed increase on unlimited ?
      2. Sky would expect a lot of people changing to unlimited to remove the download cap, as you admit you were, so why would they assume you were doing it for a speed increase?
      3. Sky didn't tell you you would get a speed increase, you assumed it - so they didn't lie to you, you misled yourself. You didn't even ask them for clarification....
      4. After all the publicity for years about the "up to" speed ratings, you're still surprised by it?

You have not been "lied to" - you have made an incorrect assumption and failed to read all the relevant detail before you entered into a contract. If you can get out of it, fine, but take some responsibility for yourself instead of blaming Sky for everything.

jameshorton2005 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 200mtr away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 1tb upgrade
      Thanks

Connection Speed 19175 kbps 1114 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10 db 5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

ps somw one was asking adout sky caping sky is unlimited download if you are in there network area double check thay do not slow you down in the eve trust me i should know i was band from tiscaly (50 ish gb in a month pml) and BT caped me after 6 pm nothing on sky
      Last edited by jameshorton2005; 09-06-10 at 05:08 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jameshorton2005 View Post
      im on nearly 20000 kbps speed tests ar showing 16.50mbs but the true download speed is always 10% of there max speed so there for i will always have a true download speed of 2mbs
      What are you talking about????

Sky do not cut 90% of your download speed, you do have to allow for overheads that may be 10% but a 20mb capable line will easily download at 18mb.

I get 18mb download speeds now at all times, not sure why you would think I should be getting 2mb.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What are you talking about????
      I think he has fallen into the trap of mixing up megabits and megabytes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast