Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Should I move from BT Broadband ?

This is a discussion on Should I move from BT Broadband ? within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Awsome One final question or rather questions. I have noticed Sky has a strict tie down on the Routers ! ...

browners is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Should I move from BT Broadband ?

Awsome One final question or rather questions.

I have noticed Sky has a strict tie down on the Routers ! ie use it or else. Does this mean I cannot manage the router in any way shape or form ?

I currently have a Dreytek 2800 and use the VPN feature a lot to connect back to the house when at work and on the move. I also set all security features, mac filtering and turn off DHCP etc. The default network and subnet mask is also changed. The channel changes now and again depending on what wireless channel the neighbors are on.

Can this still be carried out ?

Igonre this please - I just had a look at the other posts and seen these actions can be carried out. ( i also have the original DG834g in the attic so am familiar with this router )
      Last edited by browners; 18-11-09 at 08:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What made you choose Sky over O2 in the end?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Now before I order the whole bundle through Sky I need to know:
      One thing, consider it very carefully if you intend taking Sky phone Rental. If you do you will be moved to the SVBN, which many are having problems with already. It also makes it much more difficult to move to a new ISP if or when you want to move. Taking the Voice Calls is fine as it will give you a discount on your Broadband, but if you already have free calls with BT it might not be worth it. You also have to pay for 0844 calls(except to Sky Support) which I think are free with BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm now you have me thinking. I do not like the sound of being trapped due to the line rental being migrated to Sky should things ever go pear shaped !

So what you are saying is my physical line will be moved ? Possibly enducing extra noise /att and worse SNR ?

If I stay with BT for line rental only the only thing that should change is the exchange LLU connection ? and Sky talk basic package obviously.

Currently I am on the standard package with BT only getting free calls to UK land lines at weekends. I have also read that the free 0844 calls are only free to customers on the package calling plans so this would not effect me ( i need to check but almost sure).

I have already called Sky to order :/ The saving grace here is there was an error with my MAC and I have to call back tomorrow with the MAC code again. Depending on what I decide tonight will decide weather or not to move the lot or just calls and broadband.

PS. After requesting my MAC and having it out with various BT departments today I just run a speed test http://www.speedtest.net/result/626796570.png now after weeks of poor performance until at least midnight all of a sudden this happens. To late anyway I've already made my mind up and I am sure I should get more from the line once I move as well.
      I was told the first 3 months line rental are free which does make it even more attractive. But the old saying money is not everything springs to mind. The whole point of the move is to get a faster constant broadband speed.

please anyone give further advice / experience on this.

thanks again
      Last edited by browners; 18-11-09 at 11:22 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think I have been way to hastey here in my anger to jump from BT. I have now read the forums here and elsewhere. Sky have a good service and LLU available. O2 also look to have a good service and do not require me to take Sky Talk. I would be certain I will never go near the 8meg download speed so I can take O2's standard package.

Now reading this > Discount for Pay & Go customers subject to 10 minimum top-up every 3 months. Fair usage policy applies and the 3 months free promotion currently on, how can I really refuse going to O2 ?

My daughter has an O2 payg mobile so thats sorted.

Thats only 66 quid for a whole year ! sound very sweet to me.

Thanks

Don't forget to use Quidco or Topcashback for 50 cashback on O2. (It was 100 a little while ago but I'm not sure if that's still the case).

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Don't forget to use Quidco or Topcashback for 50 cashback on O2. (It was 100 a little while ago but I'm not sure if that's still the case).
      Looks like I have missed something here Quidco - Topcashback ?? never heard of it and it already sounds briliant. So with 50 quid back a year will only cost 16 pounds ?

Google time . and thankyou

Aww just checked and it seems I am out of luck.
      Compatible vouchers

There are no compatible vouchers at this time.

Any other voucher code may result in you not earning Quidco cashback.

Thanks

Ignore the compatible vouchers thing, it means something entirely different. All you need to do is register, log in, and click the "go to merchant and earn cashback" link. Make sure you don't auto delete your browser cookies or it won't track.

Be aware that it's a one time offer, not 50 every year and there's a subscription charge of 5 a year but only if you earn. Make sure you look at their help section first.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: Woooo, O2 move fast !!!! I signed up online on 18th. Within minutes I got details via text message and email. I took your advice and called to make sure they put me on the LLU. First line could not answer that and put me onto what I assume is 2nd / 3rd line support. They said my exhange has loads of free slots and capacity

The router even arrived yesterday ! Very fast and very efficient keeping me up to date constantly. If the service so far is anything to reflect what I am to expect 10 / 10.

Would you belive ever since I requested my BT MAC I have noticed my speeds increase in the evenings ? not enough to change my mind anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will finish the thread when I go live with O2 and post further details on how it goes. Hopefully a nice increase in speed as well.

Thanks

Which package did you choose and did you go via Quidco?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast