Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky IP Lease Time

This is a discussion on Sky IP Lease Time within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey Folks, Was looking for a bit of advice on this, I have the max broadband package with sky, I ...

lawman1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01389
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky IP Lease Time

Hey Folks,

Was looking for a bit of advice on this, I have the max broadband package with sky, I live roughly 100 yards from my exchnage so get the full 20 meg offered (more or less). As i have had no issues with Sky BB i have to say i am a happy customer.

The issue i have stumbled accross is now starting to become quite a pain regarding the lease time of the IP assigned to me. I have PC on in my house almost 24/7, i set this up recently so i could access IIS, SVN Server and RDP to my machine at anytime. My IP changed within about two weeks of setting it up, realising this would be an issue for me I used DynDns to get round it and give my PC a hostname. The issue now is that as i do some contract dev work, my IP is opened to clients servers, as this keeps changing (an a fortnightly basis) and i am obviously being refused access to the box causing the guy who is hiring me no end of support calls. On a side note to that, SkyPlayer (which i think is an excellent service) also continually advises me that I am trying to access the service for a different computer other than my registered computers, i then change one of the PC's to my new IP only for it to ask again in two weeks, only this time i cant change it because i have already done this once in a month.

I used to be with VM and had the same IP for months at a time? Is this just Sky's set up or is it a difference with ADSL to Cable?

Any help on IP lease times with SkyBB or anyone else in the same boat please throw some ideas / feedback my way.

Cheers

Lawman1981

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sky IP Lease Time

only someone from CST would be able to answer that - I've no idea, on my old Connect service I used to have the same IP for months at a time but I don't know if it's different on LLU...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You should also be aware that Sky prohibit the use of their service for business purposes.

I would be careful if you need to approch them over this. They also do not offer static IP's.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

For as long as I've had llu, around 3 years, as long as the router has stayed connected I have had the same IP.
      Whether things have changed recently, I dont know.

lawman1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01389
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Seems strange it changes so frequently, all the same if there isnt much i can do i suppose i just have deal with it.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.