Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

From 16mb to 5mb

This is a discussion on From 16mb to 5mb within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Again? Did you not see my test socket stats @ post 17? Meh I'll do it again, brb! Would it ...

Thorpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: From 16mb to 5mb

Again? Did you not see my test socket stats @ post 17?

Meh I'll do it again, brb!

Would it also be worth knowing that my mate next door but one is on o2 and has 11-12mb downstream majority of the time?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Your attenuation and speed are now completely different, so much so that it could be a completely different line.
      I think you will find your speed and or noise margin rise in the Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7008 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 20.2 db
      Noise Margin 18.8 db 23.0 db

Test socket!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aaaand back on Master Socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7008 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 20.1 db
      Noise Margin 12.4 db 23.5 db

Thanks

Noise Margin 12.4 db 23.5 db
      This shows that your line is capped to 7008 and you could get another 1.5Mb from this position.

Noise Margin 18.8 db 23.0 db
      This figure shows that your internal wiring is causing problems and that you have the potential for another 4+Mb.

I think there has been work going on at your exchange which effected your earlier figures. You best bet now is to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate, this would allow your connection to work at its full potential.

As an aside, can you check the broadband details on your MySky page as your upload looks like that of a Mid connection, not Max.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This shows that your line is capped to 7008 and you could get another 1.5Mb from this position.

This figure shows that your internal wiring is causing problems and that you have the potential for another 4+Mb.

I think there has been work going on at your exchange which effected your earlier figures. You best bet now is to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate, this would allow your connection to work at its full potential.

As an aside, can you check the broadband details on your MySky page as your upload looks like that of a Mid connection, not Max.
      Much appreciated, got any links or reccomendations where to buy the new faceplates?

I don't have the acount password atm as i didnt set it so can't check the package.

However, my upload figure was never 400, it was 700-800. Something isn't right.

Thanks

There is a thread dedicated to Faceplate reviews which you will find here-
      ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

It comes down to what you are prepared to pay. I don't think any one is that much better than another. I use the ADSL Nation one myself and have had no problems.

If you get a faceplate, then phone Sky and get it all sorted out. They will either lift the cap on the line to give its full speed or put it on DLM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is a thread dedicated to Faceplate reviews which you will find here-
      ADSL Faceplate Filters - SkyUser Reviews

It comes down to what you are prepared to pay. I don't think any one is that much better than another. I use the ADSL Nation one myself and have had no problems.

If you get a faceplate, then phone Sky and get it all sorted out. They will either lift the cap on the line to give its full speed or put it on DLM.
      Cheers pal!

Can i not fit it myself? Or do you mean ring sky and they will do something with my connection?

Also, what is DLM ;p

Thanks

Yes you can fit it yourself quite easily, it is just a case of transferring the wires on the back of the existing faceplate on to the new one. Get a disposable krone tool when you get the plate or you can pick one up for under a pound in B&Q, You need one to do the job properly.

When it is done, call Sky and they will reconfigure your line for its best speed.

DLM, or Dynamic Line Management is a system used to configure the line automatically.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I'm going to order the XTE-2005 Master Faceplate and a disposable IDC tool, which is 59p!

Comes to about 14 inc delivery, so before i order... Good choice?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast