Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Why is broadband in the UK so bad?

This is a discussion on Why is broadband in the UK so bad? within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; every successive UK government since the end of the 2nd world war has made horrible descions about how the country ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why is broadband in the UK so bad?

every successive UK government since the end of the 2nd world war has made horrible descions about how the country is run and 30 years ago we even had to go to the IMF for help.

Now we have borrowed a staggering amount of money on the world markets (even more than the USA when you take into account the size of our economy) and that will have to be paid off.

Several times has the UK government gone on record saying that there was "no need" for faster communications networks and now only a few years after Blair made one of those statements the UK internet is brought down when the ashes is on.

What we need is a government to be paid off by the telecoms industry to get the upgrades done.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Because we're British?

We all like to moan about SOMETHING.

emrobin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warboys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LiamMc03 View Post
      Because we're British?

We all like to moan about SOMETHING.
      I don't think the Brits have cornered the market on complaining. There's plenty of that to go around to most developed nations.
      Peak usage speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      Obviously I wasn't referring to a digital network infrastructure but the standard type of industry & infrastructure a country needs to progress to a state where they find easier to lay down a brand new network backbone from scratch. Because S. Korea is a relativiely young country in terms of technology and light industry it was relatively easy for them to decide to move entirely into new direction, which is why the government could invest 50 Billlion in the early 90s.
      My mistake. Since the subject was one of nations networks, I took your use of the word infrastructure to imply the network infrastructure. The age of many of the buildings in the UK shouldn't prevent the nation from having a solid and fast broadband network. It's the equipment used to build the network that dictates its speed and reliability, not the age of the buildings that equipment may be housed in or have lines run to. Often I don't think its even that the equipment is bad. It's just that British ISPs have deemed it acceptable to over saturate their exchanges.
      Peak usage speed test

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The problem is that we were one of the first countries to lay cables for telephones. this was long before the internet and computers even, certainly before fibre optic.

Now with the rapid rise of the internet and what we now know is a key part of it's success it's speed the aged network cannot cope, this is no surprise really, it was never designed for it and it will take time to lay fibre to all the key parts needed also, who pays for it?

Countries that are now laying their network will use a better suited infrastructure because they know what they will use it for, but if something new comes along they will then be in the same boat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The problem is that we were one of the first countries to lay cables for telephones. this was long before the internet and computers even, certainly before fibre optic.
      So was the US, but if you pay for an 8Mb DSL line there, it doesn't end up being a 56Kbps line like here. You'll actually have a broadband connection. British ISPs need to change their ratio to remove the bottlenecks that cause these "broadband" connections to be relegated to nothing more than a dial-up speed connection that doesn't require you to dial in.
      Peak usage speed test

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think you'll find that the US has slower average broadband speeds than us in the UK.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The US is a poor example of DSL, some places are worse than dial up, they suffer exactly the same problems as us, many have to use satellite to get any decent speeds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      I think you'll find that the US has slower average broadband speeds than us in the UK.
      It depends on what you consider the average speed, the advertised speed or the actual speed that you get with the line? Take my line for example, it's an 8Mb line, but I'm lucky to get 75Kbps out of it most days. My 7Mb line in the US wasn't 7Mb either, but it was 4Mb at its slowest. The UK may lead the US in availability of broadband, but I think that is largely for two reasons. One, many UK ISPs offer broadband service, but don't deliver on broadband speed. Sky and BT are two classic examples of this. They call it broadband when it really isn't. Two, the US is enormous and therefore at a major disadvantage in getting the entire nation on broadband because of how much infrastructure is needed to support such a large country (though you can get broadband in rural areas through Hughes Net satellite).
      Peak usage speed test

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The US is a poor example of DSL, some places are worse than dial up, they suffer exactly the same problems as us, many have to use satellite to get any decent speeds.
      I'd strongly disagree with you on that. DSL in the US is far superior to UK DSL. It's not even close.
      Peak usage speed test

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast