Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connect is frustratingly slow

This is a discussion on Connect is frustratingly slow within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Signed up to sky HD, telephone, broadband recently. Moved from Plusnet Broadband to Sky Connect. Virtually every page takes around ...

Koops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01305
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect is frustratingly slow

Signed up to sky HD, telephone, broadband recently.
      Moved from Plusnet Broadband to Sky Connect.
      Virtually every page takes around 10-30 seconds to load and often it just hangs completely. This is despite having a mid-strength wireless signal (the signal strength is not nearly as good as my ancient BT Voyager 2000 router that I can no longer use - grrrrrr). I NEVER had this problem with Plusnet and am really disappointed / frustrated. Yet speed testers show that I am getting a download speed between 1500kbps and 4000kbps depending on time of day. So is it that the Sky servers are just dead slow / unreliable for loading web pages? I cant carry on like this - if no improvement soon then will apply for contract termination on the grounds of unacceptable service. My old dial up connection loaded pages faster! End of rant.

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connect is frustratingly slow

Could you post your router stats from the test socket.

What are the speeds like when you use ethernet

See linkys below

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If this is a wireless issue (I take it you have tested this on ethernet) then changing the channel in use on the router would be a good place to start. If you post your stats we may be able to see what is going on but if this is just a wireless issue good luck in getting out of your contract.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koops View Post

Signed up to sky HD, telephone, broadband recently.
      Moved from Plusnet Broadband to Sky Connect.
      Virtually every page takes around 10-30 seconds to load and often it just hangs completely. This is despite having a mid-strength wireless signal (the signal strength is not nearly as good as my ancient BT Voyager 2000 router that I can no longer use - grrrrrr). I NEVER had this problem with Plusnet and am really disappointed / frustrated. Yet speed testers show that I am getting a download speed between 1500kbps and 4000kbps depending on time of day. So is it that the Sky servers are just dead slow / unreliable for loading web pages? I cant carry on like this - if no improvement soon then will apply for contract termination on the grounds of unacceptable service. My old dial up connection loaded pages faster! End of rant.
      1st point - shows that it's BT throttling P2P ports (as it's known they do) to keep browsing (usually) fast...try changing DNS servers/wireless channel/use ethernet and see if that helps

2nd - it's not Sky's servers - Connect is BT ADSL Max rebranded as Sky due to them not having LLU'd your exchange...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This is a bit strange as Plusnet use the same BT ADSLMax that Sky sell as their Connect product. The chances are you are still connected to the same modem in the exchange. Unfortunately Sky do not have the same relationship with BT that Plusnet do, so Connect problems are a real pain to get fixed.

You can set up your PC to use OpenDNS servers, which many find better than the Sky ones. It is free and details can be found here-
      OpenDNS > Home Network > Solutions

In saying that, it looks like your main problem is with your wireless connection. Users continually come on the form saying that their wireless connection has deteriorated or even stopped. In 9 out of 10 cases the reason is new wireless networks starting in there neighbourhood, which use the same channel or a channel close to the one they are using. Try downloading Netstumbler from the link below, use it to detect networks which may be clashing with yours and change your channel to suit.

Unless you are getting Connect at 5, which means your exchange will soon be enabled by Sky, you have made a bad mistake moving from Plusnet. Connect at 17, with it's many limitations, is just not worth it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great to get so many responses.
      Heres the router stats (means little to me - doh):

System Up Time: 229:47:07
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2678 2998 0 262 2224 00:22:56
      LAN 100M/Full 33039 0 0 6 0 229:47:03
      WLAN 11M/54M 432981 315232 0 516 64 229:46:50
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8064 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 25 db

Thanks

You must practically live in the exchange! I think that is the lowest attenuation I have seen on the forum.

However, your DS noise margin is very low for your attenuation and connection speed, which suggests there is something wrong somewhere. Can you remove the faceplate of the Master socket and plug in to the Test socket behind it. Take your stats from there and post them here.

Have you tried NetStumbler to improve your wireless performance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I only have a plain BT wall socket - no separate section to remove. Believe that I can only connect via the router, not laptop cabled direct to the socket?

I've plugged my laptop direct to the router via the ethernet ports and get these router stats:

System Up Time: 00:16:36
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1075 1695 0 443 5352 00:05:55
      LAN 100M/Full 2139 1440 0 2141 224 00:16:32
      WLAN 11M/54M 119 58 0 24 8 00:16:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8000 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 26 db

I use a Mac Powerbook running OS10.4 so cannot try Netstumbler using link above as it is a Windows prog.

Am willing to try changing the channel number - do I just change the number from http://192.168.0.1/router_status.html or do I also need to change settings elsewhere?

Dont understand about the OpenDNS servers but again am willing to give it a go if I get an improvement.

Thanks again, Koops

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Channel or wireless setup changes all happen within the router interface 192.168.0.1, user name is admin, password is sky.

Thanks

I use a Mac Powerbook running OS10.4 so cannot try Netstumbler using link above as it is a Windows prog.
      Sorry, we Windows users sometimes forget that there are other OSs out there. Not being a Mac user I don't know how well these work, but they are similar to NetStumbler.-
      iStumbler
      MacStumbler

I am convinced that you have a fault on your line somewhere, with a good line you should be connecting at 8128kbps with a noise margin in the high teens or twenties. Do you have any noise on your voice line? If so, it indicates a fault either internally or externally. Not having a Test socket is a bit of a drawback, but there is still some things you can do. If you have extensions, open your Master socket and remove the wire from terminal 3. This is the ring or bell wire and is not required when you use ADSL filters. It acts like an aerial and picks up interference which degrades the ADSL signal. Improvements of 15-50% have been known after removing this wire.

The channel can be changed by accessing the router settings and clicking the Wireless Setting link, use the dropdown box to select a different channel.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast