Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Do Sky plan to upgrade to 24Mb or higher?

This is a discussion on Do Sky plan to upgrade to 24Mb or higher? within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes, but I was interested in what those reasons are. Or is it just "I have a faster connection than ...

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Do Sky plan to upgrade to 24Mb or higher?

Yes, but I was interested in what those reasons are. Or is it just "I have a faster connection than you.." type of thing?

2. Advertisement
      LPB
      LPB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Westside (Crips side)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      Yes, but I was interested in what those reasons are. Or is it just "I have a faster connection than you.." type of thing?
      I personally wouldn't say it's about who has a bigger willy. As correctly mentioned, everyone has a different need e.g. downloading artwork, itunes, HD movies, Games etc... and the list goes on.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not so sure. I mean most of the time when you ask people, they come back with rather vague answers. There seems to be a lot of people downloading on a massive scale! But what? I mean I will download something large now and then, but not often enough to justify 24mb/s. I suppose I must be odd in that all I do is browse. My service kept on getting better, so I downgraded. Then I have cable too, which is a bit more expensive than Sky, which gives you a good reason to downgrade! Have to say that I didn't notice any difference at all when I did. Unless you are downloading something BIG then the difference between say 2mb/s and 4mb/s is hardly noticeable. I doubt there would be any perceptable difference at all between 16mb/s and 24mb/s. Not to mention that many cheap network devices haven't even got a throughput that high. Perhaps there is some point in ADSL, because maybe it will reduce your ping? I know that with cable, it doesn't. All the services have the same ping, not matter what service you pay for.

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally I would stay well clear of VM and their BB packages at present because they destroyed it!

4MB = 512k every evening regardless of how much you download!

A lot of people on the 20MB package are getting speeds of around 200k!

Take a look at the hundreds of posts on cable forum for the evidence!!!

VM can no longer brag about line distance etc... when it comes to sky, because VM BB sucks simply because they screwed up!

If you ask me they spent to much money on re-branding and now have non left to spend on actual system improvments. Things got worse once they released there 20MB BB package!

preetkk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

gaming, hd movies, hd movie trailers,looking at high quality pictures that are huge sizes,itunes, list could go on but cant be arsed to think

but i reckon sky wont upgrade to 24mb unless they have more bandwith, because at the moment and still growing very strongly sky have 716,000 broadband customers alone i think thats excellent (how quickly the numbers are getting high) compared to virgin media's 3.41m but i look at it this way sky have only been going for nearly a year now in the bb business and they already have that many customers and it is supposed to be growing very very strongly, so they know if they give more bandwith out there are going to be problems in the near future unless they have enough bandwith to solve everyones problems, so they are trying not to create the problems to start off with which is good but dont always work out, like putting customers on G.DMT instead of adsl2+ which gets most people annoyed and want to cancel but can be easily sorted by waisting about a hour on the phone oh and doesn't cost anything either (020 number so use voip company for free but if you get dissconnected off the net your call will also)

like virgin media with that many customers and that high speeds that have to throttle the speeds on both adsl and cable durring off-peak hours

so thats the reason i'd be kind of happy with 16mb but would like 24mb but if i wanted it i'd pay BE instead
      Last edited by preetkk; 13-07-07 at 01:24 PM.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BSkyB launched 16Mb simply because polls and reviews that were being done at the time suggested, e.g, 36% Of Be* Customers are actually getting 24Mb ect.

Cable Operators used that to an advantage, Saying with them no matter how far you live you can get the same speed ect.

So Sky took 16Mb as more could get it over 24Mb ect, Thus meaning better overall figures.

like virgin media with that many customers and that high speeds that have to throttle the speeds on both adsl and cable durring off-peak hours
      Since NTL:Telewest came about, They havent had significant new subscribers to the Broadband Division, So if NTL & Telewest could last without Throtteling, I think that the use of it know was just to save money.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally I would stay well clear of VM and their BB packages at present because they destroyed it!

4MB = 512k every evening regardless of how much you download!

A lot of people on the 20MB package are getting speeds of around 200k!
      VM BB was the package I downgraded. I used to be on 4mb/s and downgraded to 2mb/s. I have always found that VM performed exactly as they should, but then I don't live in a "busy" area. The reason I made the effort to downgrade with VM is they are very expensive. Personally, in this day and age, I think 25pcm is very unreasonable for a 4mb/s service. I downgraded to 2mb/s and then got the free Sky 2mb/s and "spliced" the two services to gether to get 4mb/s. I know, it's not much cheaper at 18pcm, but truth is I wanted the safety of having two services. Backup and all that. I suppose in theory if I upgraded to 20mb/s and 16mb/s then I would have 36mb/s. That's if I could upgrade to those speeds, which I couldn't. My Sky won't go any faster than 5mb/s, so my practical limit is 25mb/s. Anyway, as I already said, I don't need anything faster than I already have. It is rare that I download anything large, so it's not worth it.

We seem to be entering an time, now, when people do want to download huge amounts of data. Yes, I know files are big, but do people really download THAT MUCH? I suppose they do, but I still don't understand why! There must be something I am missing, but there you go. Anyway, all that downloadinng is simply going to slow everyone down, no matter what rate the service says it runs at.

Frankly, I worry about VM. I am not sure they are actually committed to the future. I don't know whether they will invest in what's needed. I think Sky will eventually win out, becuase they certainly will..

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I think the words "peer to peer" and MOVIES comes to mind for the 'large' files Dave. I mean, after all, what's the point in downloading a 'huge' picture in high def to view it on a 17 inch screen?

With regards to Sky offering 24 meg, when they first tested broadband BEFORE rolling it out there were a few of the testers who achieved speeds of 24 meg but obviously they were on top of their exchanges, so they know it can be done.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I still don't get it. I mean I have read posts from people downloading 100 gigs in the first x days, and I am like WOT? HOW MUCH? How many movies can you watch at one time? I don't think I have downloaded that in x years. I suppose that's because I don't use the PC for entertainment really. I work on the thing all day. Last thing I need is to use it for relaxation too. Course, I do recognise that I am in the minority here. Then, I am not sure I would download anything anyway. I mean there was FA on television when we only had three channels, and FA on television when we had 100 channels. Now we have effectively infinite channels, and can choose exactly what we want, there is still FA on television.
      Personally, I think you swines; downloading 100 billi mega gigs in an afternoon, should be throttled.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I play MMORPG's (World of Warcraft, Lord Of The Rings Online) and the Download speed really isn't that important once you get above 8 meg/sec, it's the upload speed that is the critical one as your PC is doing a lot of number crunching and sending that to the game servers so going from BT to Sky my upload speed quadrupled and the game responsive leaped accordingly.

I would quite happily have a 8 meg down/2 meg up connection over a 16meg down/768k up connection.

Regearding the advertising I suppose if people get 12 meg out of a possible 16 meg it feels a lot better to them as they are fairly close to the "maximum" possible as apposed if they were only getting 12 meg out of a possible 24 meg.

Regarding VM I can't see it being around too much longer as now several venture capalist groups have now started to sniff around it and as it's shares are listed on the NASDAQ in the US the very strong pound means somebody is going to be able to borrow the money to buy it up without too much difficulty.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast