Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well done Sky !!!!! I'm Connected at 16MB

This is a discussion on Well done Sky !!!!! I'm Connected at 16MB within the Sky Broadband feedback forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well yes you could...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Well done Sky !!!!! I'm Connected at 16MB

Well yes you could

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      what part of west hamptead are you if you are on 1000 meters from the maida vale exchange ? (are you realy kilburn but dont want to say )
      Ha, ha, that comment brought back a few memories. I used to live just off Fortune Green Road, so definitely West Hampstead, but I still had a few waggish friends living on the other side of Finchley Road who used to ask, "So how's life in East Kilburn?"

Anyway, the bottom end of West End Lane is less than 1km from the Maida Vale exchange, but I'd definitely call that West Hampstead.

Jayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice to hear that some are able to get the max speed that Sky offer. Is there any way I can determine how fast my speed will be when I sign up?

Thanks!

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Ha, ha, that comment brought back a few memories. I used to live just off Fortune Green Road, so definitely West Hampstead, but I still had a few waggish friends living on the other side of Finchley Road who used to ask, "So how's life in East Kilburn?"

Anyway, the bottom end of West End Lane is less than 1km from the Maida Vale exchange, but I'd definitely call that West Hampstead.

i used to live on church street (by the market) and would tell people i lived in st john's wood (instead of saying edgware road, whch is a bit of a hole )

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maida Vale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB x 3
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Well yes you could
      Thanks Dholdi, that's all I need to know, but you forget to answer my other question which is how can I do that?

E.g. shall I just phone Sky and get them to transfer me to Sky Broadband dept. Then ask them that "Can you please increase my Sky broadband speed more than 15353?"

But I'll wait for my ADSL High Speed twisted pair round 20m extension cable to come from the post first, then I'll set it up exactly the same as my Final ADSL Plan A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayer View Post
      Nice to hear that some are able to get the max speed that Sky offer. Is there any way I can determine how fast my speed will be when I sign up?

Thanks!
      Hi Jayer! First of all, visit Sky Broadband Web Site and click on Check Availability button to Check availability in your area, type in your BT phone number including the area code such as 0207 / 0208, and click on BT Line Availability Check button, hopefully it comes up with "Great News - You can get Sky Broadband", offering you a choice of any three Sky Broadband products:

Sky Broadband Base, with FREE monthly subscription*– up to 2Mb download speed and 2GB monthly usage allowance - Browse the internet, email mates and swap photos online.

Sky Broadband Mid – up to 8Mb** download speed and 40GB monthly usage allowance for just 5 a month*. Do more, faster – like downloading music and short movie clips.

Sky Broadband Max – up to 16Mb** download speed and unlimited usage*** for only 10 a month*. Enjoy almost limitless*** movies, music and sports clips, plus online game playing.

*A one-off 30 standard set-up cost applies when you take up any combination of Sky products. Top speeds may vary significantly depending on distance from local exchange and line quality.

**Top speeds may vary significantly depending on distance from local exchange and line quality.

*** Subject to fair usage policy.

Second, if you got a choice of any three Sky Broadband products, check out DSL ZoneUk - Broadband checker and enter your BT phone number, Postcode & Verify code (type in the same code on the right marked in red) and click on check botton, then it shows you very useful information such as which Exchange location is nearest to you, which broadband services is available and not available in your area. Also, it shows you how far are you from your Exchange location.

Then check out Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained forum. Here comes the tricky bit, you need to know your Downstream Line Attenuation. After that, (I take a rough guess and select my both favourite / lucky number: 31, that time when I didn't have Netgear router/modem) divide your (ADSL2+) downstream attenuation by 13.8 to get the distance in kilometers, e.g. mine one now is 31db (taken from my Netgear router/modem statistics, see! My lucky number comes up) / 13.8 = 2.2463768. This means that I'm 2.2 kilometers away from Maida Vale exchange, but I'm not sure its true or not, all I know is I'm 960 metres away from Maida Vale exchange (as the crow flies).

Hopefully, all this helps you, let me know how it go? That's exactly what I did before I sign up for Sky Broadband Max
      Last edited by jonathanen; 08-11-07 at 11:50 PM.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      Thanks Dholdi, that's all I need to know, but you forget to answer my other question which is how can I do that?

E.g. shall I just phone Sky and get them to transfer me to Sky Broadband dept. Then ask them that "Can you please increase my Sky broadband speed more than 15353?"

But I'll wait for my ADSL High Speed twisted pair round 20m extension cable to come from the post first, then I'll set it up exactly the same as my Final ADSL Plan A
      Yes you need to get thro to bb dept then, unfortunately you have to convice T1 to transfer you to T3 who are the only ones who can make changes to your profile. Alas if you do get thro you will need to get a very sympathetic operator as i've heard they are reluctant to raise anyone above 15323. Do you really need what will effectively, once overheads are taken into consideration, be an extra 1/2 meg at best ? With regard to your line length the most accurate indication of the line length is the one you have used, remember it probably goes up and down a few streets before it gets to you.

Thanks

what part of west hamptead are you if you are on 1000 meters from the maida vale exchange ? (are you realy kilburn but dont want to say )

Edit: only a joke by the way
      Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post

Wow! That's weird, because no-one says like richone54's comment to me before in the past. Its the very first time, said to me today. Instead, some people don't believe me when I say I live at West Hampstead.

Thanks very much, James67 for proving my point, which I'm exactly 5mins walk away (in my fast walking speed) from West Hampstead Jubliee Line tube station.

Hi Richone54's! Do you know the street called "Messina Avenue"? That's where I live, so its exactly 960 meters away from Maida Vale Exchange and that's what I call: West Hampstead, which I prefer more, as its like the posh area and I love that area very much, still living here in my whole 27 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Yes you need to get thro to bb dept then, unfortunately you have to convice T1 to transfer you to T3 who are the only ones who can make changes to your profile. Alas if you do get thro you will need to get a very sympathetic operator as i've heard they are reluctant to raise anyone above 15323. Do you really need what will effectively, once overheads are taken into consideration, be an extra 1/2 meg at best ? With regard to your line length the most accurate indication of the line length is the one you have used, remember it probably goes up and down a few streets before it gets to you.
      Thanks for replying back to me. But why not?!! Since I'm only 960 meters away from Maida Vale Exchange, I may as well get more 15323 like some people have. Then I'll be very happy man, having the full 16MB for 10 a month. Making it four times faster than my previous ISP which is Telewest Broadband with 4MB for 25 a month.

As for T1 or T3, if they not keen to put me higher than 15323, then I'll keep on pushing and pushing until they will put me higher than 15323, as I'll not give up easily and I have full of determination kind of a guy. And if they put the phone down on me, then I'll keep on ringing them until they answer the phone and put me higher than 15323!

I'm not sure what you mean about your comment "With regard to your line length the most accurate indication of the line length is the one you have used"

All I know is I have ADSL2+ enabled with old fashion type BT Socket without engineers test socket inside the master socket and here is the Photo and here are my statistics as follows:

Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.0 12.5
      Attn(dB): 31.0 18.8
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 16284 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764

I bet you have the full 16MB!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 08-11-07 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks

i used to live on church street (by the market) and would tell people i lived in st john's wood (instead of saying edgware road, whch is a bit of a hole )
      Ha, ha! I know that area very well, its near my old Westminster college! And I sometimes goes to Church street market on Saturdays. Depending which side of Church Street you used to live. If you live towards the City of Westminster College, I say its Edgware Road. If you live towards the block of flats almost near towards Sylvia Young Theatre School is, then I say its Marylebone, not St John's Wood.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast