Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre in Hackney?

This is a discussion on Fibre in Hackney? within the Sky Broadband exchange information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I try to check for fibre availability in my area (exchange LNHAC - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNHAC ) on open reach website ...

tomasj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNHAC
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Fibre in Hackney?

When I try to check for fibre availability in my area (exchange LNHAC - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNHAC ) on open reach website I get:

Superfast Fibre is in your area but we can't tell by your postcode/number if you can get it right now. Please contact your communications provider, who can check using your phone number.

Checking with Sky, BT using my phone number - they simply say I can't get fibre yet. This been going on for ages and as I am currently experiencing some problems with Sky ADSL I am starting to be pretty frustrated with the whole situation.

Is there any other way to find out what is happening here and possibly get some estimates when fibre will be rolled out here?

Thanks
      t.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Fibre in Hackney?

Sorry for the delayed response...

Unfortunately it is down to BTO to enable FTTC to everyone's home.

There may be a technical reason why your specific home has not been connected.

First of al check out the following pages to see what they say:

https://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm (Use the Address Checker option)

These sites sometimes give you extra information, such as a local issue. They will help you to identify which cabinet you are connected to and this can be really helpful.

Once you know which cabinet you are connected to, take a little walk and find it. Is there a Fibre cabinet nearby? The fibre cabinet won't have a number on it, like the older copper cabinet, but it will have a lot of vents on it. Of course if there is no Fibre cabinet then you need to find out when it is going to be installed. Your local Counil might be able to provide this information, otherwise it'll be BTO and they can be difficult to discuss such matter with now.

If you do have a Fibre cabinet near to your older copper cabinet, now that you know where it is, it is possible to go back to the sites listed above and put in some alternative addresses near to you. This can help to show which home can and which homes can't get Fibre. From here you can often identify a local restriction (such as a bridge) which might be causing a problem.

Again BTO will have the answers, but it has become difficult to correspond with them on an individual basis. You may need to get a group of neighbours together and contact BTO as a representative or through your local MP.

Calling Sky might help, but their information is often going to be limited.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms